Controversial Topic of the Day: The Boy Scouts

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Controversial Topic of the Day: The Boy Scouts

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:34 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

UPS pulled funding to the Boy Scouts due to their policy of not letting gays in. Anyone have thoughts on this whole fiasco?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Controversial Topic of the Day: The Boy Scouts

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I have pulled funding from the UPS for not having my packages delivered when I am at home, whenever that may be.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Hmm, I wonder how this is going to turn out.

Liberal-leaning members are going to call the Boy Scouts a discriminatory organization and support other sponsors pulling funding.

Conservative-leaning members are going to firmly stand behind the Boy Scouts, celebrating them for sticking to their values and not being forced to take the gay agenda.

People in between (libertarians, etc) may personally support the Boy Scouts but are conflicted about their stance on gay members, and how it coincides with their religious associations.

The End.

:pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm

If I had a 12 year old daughter, I sure as hell wouldn't let her go on a Girl Scout camping trip where a man was there "supervising."
I would feel the same way about a 12 year old son and a gay Boy Scout leader.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't let my 12 year old child going camping with ANY adult. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I think in the end the BSA would lose more funding if they STOPPED discriminating instead.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:44 pm

columbia wrote:If I had a 12 year old daughter, I sure as hell wouldn't let her go on a Girl Scout camping trip where a man was there "supervising."

Having said that, I probably wouldn't let my 12 year old child going camping with ANY adult. :pop:

I just dont get this reasoning. Gay != pedophile
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:46 pm

mac5155 wrote:
columbia wrote:If I had a 12 year old daughter, I sure as hell wouldn't let her go on a Girl Scout camping trip where a man was there "supervising."

See my first sentence.

Adult (of any persuasion) equals potential predator.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:46 pm

I would feel the same way about a 12 year old son and a gay Boy Scout leader

That's kind of an interesting take I haven't thought about before. Would you be ok with a gay man supervising a Girl Scout trip? :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:46 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Would you be ok with a gay man supervising a Girl Scout trip? :pop:

Yes.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 pm

columbia wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

See my first sentence.

How about a lesbian mother supervising a girl scout trip?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I am an enormous advocate of the Boy Scouts. I continue to coach merit badges and donate to the program. I had a pretty tough home life as a teenager and scouting was a place I could go to get away from it, learn important life skills, and light things on fire one week a year.

I was asked this exact question when I did my Eagle Scout Board of Review around the time of BSA vs. Dale was upheld by the Supreme Court.

My answer? The Oath of Boy Scouts is explicit in that scouting has a foundation in Christian teachings. As such the majority of Scout troops are sponsored by churches. Phrases such as "doing my duty to God..." and "keep myself...morally straight" are right in the Oath. Being an atheist or gay person does not make you a bad person, but it does exclude you from being able to take the Oath.

I also said I was not uncomfortable with the idea of gay leadership and that excluding gays could deprive scouts of valuable leaders. I thought in the end it should be a troop's decision to make.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:
columbia wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

See my first sentence.

How about a lesbian mother supervising a girl scout trip?

I wouldn't say no, as a parent.

#paranoid
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:58 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

That's kind of an interesting take I haven't thought about before. Would you be ok with a gay man supervising a Girl Scout trip? :pop:

There is a large enough number of women involved with Boy Scouting, whether as Scout Masters, merit badge counselors, or executives. My mom's best friend went camping with her son's troop. The person who asked me the question about homosexuality at my board was a woman.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm

I was very involved in scouting in my youth and am disappointed they've taken such a strong "anti gay" stance. However, it's certainly within their rights to do so, and it's within the rights of sponsors to withdraw their support in light of evolving public opinion.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm pretty sure there were a few gay kids in my scout troops when I was younger.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:36 pm

BSA receive a lot of indirect support from the federal government. Like endorsements from federal officials, support from the US military, exclusive use of federal lands for negligible fees (as in $1/year), etc.

An old -- but I think still relevant -- assessment: http://www.thehumanist.org/humanist/articles/bsa.html

Yet they're free to discriminate against gays and atheists? Bleh.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm

This topic = yawn. When the economy drops off the cliff into the abyss - those of us left will huddle around a burning garbage can and laugh about how we actually used to talk about things like gay boy scout leaders.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey, I posted a few articles about taxes, oil production, etc. in the political thread yesterday and all anyone wanted to talk about was where the military guys dip their wicks. ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Hey, I posted a few articles about taxes, oil productions, etc. in the political thread yesterday and all anyone wanted to talk about was where the military guys dip their wicks. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:41 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:This topic = yawn. When the economy drops off the cliff into the abyss - those of us left will huddle around a burning garbage can and laugh about how we actually used to talk about things like gay boy scout leaders.

You might need a Boy Scout to light that fire w/ sticks :pop:

Yes, I did do that once. It friggen' took forever. Now I carry a 9volt battery and steel wool (as well as a lighter) in my emergency kit in my car. A much better fire starter.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Hmm, I wonder how this is going to turn out.

Liberal-leaning members are going to call the Boy Scouts a discriminatory organization and support other sponsors pulling funding.

Conservative-leaning members are going to firmly stand behind the Boy Scouts, celebrating them for sticking to their values and not being forced to take the gay agenda.

People in between (libertarians, etc) may personally support the Boy Scouts but are conflicted about their stance on gay members, and how it coincides with their religious associations.

The End.

:pop:

Your showing where you lean... its more like this:

People in between (libertarians, etc) may personally think gay people deserve an opportunity to join the boy scouts but really don't care because I was always thought the boy scouts was a gay association

no but seriously, who cares? Let them stay hetero only? OR

Don't ASK DONT TELL :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Godric on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

I've always felt that way

:thumb: Columbia
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm not necessarily proud of thinking that, mind you.
I just don't see the need to take any chances with the safety of children.

You're a dude and you want to coach middle school girls basketball? Sorry, but I probably think you're a creeper....Go away.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm

columbia wrote:
You're a dude and you want to coach middle school girls basketball? Sorry, but I probably think you're a creeper....Go away.

What if you have a daughter on the team? Or two?

Thats where it gets fuzzy for me
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:00 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:People in between (libertarians, etc) may personally support the Boy Scouts but are conflicted about their stance on gay members, and how it coincides with their religious associations.

The standard libertarian position would be that private organizations like the Boy Scouts should be perfectly able to choose who they wish to admit as members, on whatever basis they choose. Thus, they could choose to refuse membership to any group for any reason or no reason at all. Of course, libertarians would also say that the Boy Scouts should not receive any government sponsorship or money, as it’s not the job of the government to fund or support private organizations.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Next

Return to NHR