Google search changes?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Google search changes?

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:55 am

Has anyone noticed that google search pretty much sucks lately? I don't know if I need to change some settings or what's up, but it's become useless over the past few weeks because every time I do a search, it brings up multiple results from every website. I have my default results set to 100 per page and most of the time the first 40+ results will all be from the same website. It never used to be like that. I looked over my settings and can't find anything that would change that. Is it working this way for everyone else?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Google search changes?

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:59 am

hockeynut! has about 236,000 results when searched in googles
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Yeah, I've been having the same kind of issue lately.
I've also noticed that there are quite a few search engines that are catching up or at least becoming useful in their own right.
Been using duckduckgo quite a bit lately.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Sorta kinda noticed that, but I still like it better than Bing. I don't like Bing for some reason.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:18 pm

i think my work computer has a virus, every 3-4 link i click always directs me to an advertisement site.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah, noticed that too.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Has anyone noticed that google search pretty much sucks lately? I don't know if I need to change some settings or what's up, but it's become useless over the past few weeks because every time I do a search, it brings up multiple results from every website. I have my default results set to 100 per page and most of the time the first 40+ results will all be from the same website. It never used to be like that. I looked over my settings and can't find anything that would change that. Is it working this way for everyone else?

I specialize in SEO(current job). You can thank the most recent Google Panda/Penguin update. For whatever reason, bug or otherwise, it provides you multiple search links when you land on a specific keyword and the site is optimized for it.

This detail started happening at the mid to late October time.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Sorta kinda noticed that, but I still like it better than Bing. I don't like Bing for some reason.

Bing is garbage.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:29 pm

bh wrote:Yeah, I've been having the same kind of issue lately.
I've also noticed that there are quite a few search engines that are catching up or at least becoming useful in their own right.
Been using duckduckgo quite a bit lately.

duckduckgo is pretty sick as it doesn't store any of your personal searches, wish it would catch on, but the name is out there.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I specialize in SEO(current job). You can thank the most recent Google Panda/Penguin update. For whatever reason, bug or otherwise, it provides you multiple search links when you land on a specific keyword and the site is optimized for it.

Our SEO team grew an unhealthy hatred of pandas and penguins the last 8 months. I'm afraid to discuss hockey with most of them.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:26 am

bhaw wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I specialize in SEO(current job). You can thank the most recent Google Panda/Penguin update. For whatever reason, bug or otherwise, it provides you multiple search links when you land on a specific keyword and the site is optimized for it.

Our SEO team grew an unhealthy hatred of pandas and penguins the last 8 months. I'm afraid to discuss hockey with most of them.

I can't say it's been terrible for us. The company I work for deals with more local to small and medium size businesses. The national front sites took a hit because of their objectives, but our end has actually increased because of the increased locality focus by Google. lol.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to NHR