Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby JS© on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Rylan wrote:Black Ops II is sweet.

I've given up on the CoD series. I briefly considered buying it, but I don't have the time to put in. If you don't have your character maxed out within the first three days of the game release, it's pointless to have.

Nothing like being a level 8 corporal getting your balls stomped by a level 80 3 star over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I know that's part of the game where you have to build your character, but going 8-21 at best gets old very quick. I think I stopped at MW3 when I was around level 20.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:26 pm

I just tried the Most Wanted demo. The driving game. I dunno. Controls were rather difficult. Not enough push to start moving you sideways with slight push of the stick, but as you keep holding it longer, it throws you too far too quickly. Maybe that becomes improved as you unlock upgrades to your cars, but I didn't have much fun with the way they're in the demo. Too much delay, too, between the push of stick to actual execution. I hate that in driving games.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 pm

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm trying to complete Shadow Of The Colussus HD because I started playing it a few months ago. Only did 4 bosses at the time. I've been riding that stupid horse for probably an hour now and I can't find the way to the fifth one. I hate that horse. He drives like a tank.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm

For the record, I got all the health and stamina maxed out already. I used a (picture) map.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 pm

I've begun to dabble in Minecraft.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:27 pm

viva la ben wrote:I've begun to dabble in Minecraft.

I played quite a bit in Minecraft Pocket Edition. I've enjoyed it, but my guess is the desktop version would be a lot more fun. Check out Paul Soares Jr.'s Youtube page on survival mode tutorials. Really great tips.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm

That's it. I give up. I am so freaking frustrated. I won't make another attempt for another few months. On top of the fact I couldn't find the monster, I think they gave me a blind horse because I couldn't count the number of times the stupid thing ran into a tree already. Or if I'm walking ahead and call it, he runs me over. F that horse.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:I've begun to dabble in Minecraft.

I played quite a bit in Minecraft Pocket Edition. I've enjoyed it, but my guess is the desktop version would be a lot more fun. Check out Paul Soares Jr.'s Youtube page on survival mode tutorials. Really great tips.

Yeah, I'm playing iOS pocket edition. I wish they supported iCloud saves.
I used the "infinity" seed for my world. The minecraft wiki has been great for finding out about the different blocks.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:38 pm

I also recommend the Minecraft PE Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/MCPE

Lots of great seeds listed there, and they are pretty good about answering questions.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Played a bit more Lego LOTR... this was centered around Bree and then Weathertop. It looks like the mithril bricks you collect can be given to a Blacksmith in Bree who melts them down into items. Completed the first request... got a brick that unlocked a Side Quest finder or something like that... so not sure if those are just how you get access to the Extras or whatnot. Not sure yet how you acquire the extra characters for free play.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Gotta go major geek here for a minute... for those that still game on pc, if you happen to also like the 2004 incarnation of Battlestar Galactica, go immediately to http://diaspora.hard-light.net/. It is a completely fan-made, free space combat simulator set in the BG universe. It is based on source code for Freespace 2 which has gone open source. It is really short at this point, but the creators wanted to get something 'out-the-door' rather than leaving it forever in beta. It it supposed to be episodic content, so hopefully there will be much more. What is there, however, is absolutely incredible. The details in the ship models is unreal, and the battles play out almost exactly like the combat from the series, right down to the nukes, flak, and flight models. Flying past the battlestar under full barrage is awe-inspiring, you can see the individual gun batteries firing. Sound effects are right from the show, full voice acting that is credibly acted, and to top things off a full original instrumental score that mirror's Bear McCreary's style from the series. Unbelievable that this much detail can come from a game engine that is nearly 14 years old. Also unbelievable that something like this can be put together as a fan-made project when 95+% of officially licensed movie/tv game completely suck.

It's completely free, so if you have any interest in the source material, or even space combat games, go get it...

[/geek]
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

the wicked child wrote:Played a bit more Lego LOTR... this was centered around Bree and then Weathertop. It looks like the mithril bricks you collect can be given to a Blacksmith in Bree who melts them down into items. Completed the first request... got a brick that unlocked a Side Quest finder or something like that... so not sure if those are just how you get access to the Extras or whatnot. Not sure yet how you acquire the extra characters for free play.

It's hard sometimes, but the route I usually take for Lego games is just complete the story missions first, no matter how tempting the side missions are (I love the side missons more than the story missions). If you do that, then you typically have every character you need then to complete all of the side missions.

Not sure if LOTR is set up like the others, but that is the route I always take.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

So far, the game has alternated between story missions and open areas you can explore. I've spent a little time wandering around the open areas and doing what I could. The game basically leads you through that first "side quest" prior to reaching the Prancing Pony.

I'm not entirely sure how you replay missions yet... Might just be a matter of returning to where you started them.

Since Middle Earth is kind of big, there are statues that you can activate to warp between areas quickly.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm

the wicked child wrote:So far, the game has alternated between story missions and open areas you can explore. I've spent a little time wandering around the open areas and doing what I could. The game basically leads you through that first "side quest" prior to reaching the Prancing Pony.

I'm not entirely sure how you replay missions yet... Might just be a matter of returning to where you started them.

Since Middle Earth is kind of big, there are statues that you can activate to warp between areas quickly.

Sounds a little like Harry Potter, where you have to complete some lessons to learn spells and other "side" missions before you can move on with the story. And Hogwarts and it's grounds were so large, you also had warp zones. But there should be one main hub where you can go back and replay the story missions. At least that is how it was in Harry Potter. LOTR sounds most similar to how Harry Potter was set up, which was completely awesome IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Sigwolf wrote:Gotta go major geek here for a minute... for those that still game on pc, if you happen to also like the 2004 incarnation of Battlestar Galactica, go immediately to http://diaspora.hard-light.net/. It is a completely fan-made, free space combat simulator set in the BG universe. It is based on source code for Freespace 2 which has gone open source. It is really short at this point, but the creators wanted to get something 'out-the-door' rather than leaving it forever in beta. It it supposed to be episodic content, so hopefully there will be much more. What is there, however, is absolutely incredible. The details in the ship models is unreal, and the battles play out almost exactly like the combat from the series, right down to the nukes, flak, and flight models. Flying past the battlestar under full barrage is awe-inspiring, you can see the individual gun batteries firing. Sound effects are right from the show, full voice acting that is credibly acted, and to top things off a full original instrumental score that mirror's Bear McCreary's style from the series. Unbelievable that this much detail can come from a game engine that is nearly 14 years old. Also unbelievable that something like this can be put together as a fan-made project when 95+% of officially licensed movie/tv game completely suck.

It's completely free, so if you have any interest in the source material, or even space combat games, go get it...

[/geek]

Nice, I've been getting caught up on the new BSG...this sounds really cool.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Love love love Super Mario Bros. WII
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 am

Finished the FOTR story missions tonight... 6 missions total. Will be fun to go back and explore Rivendell and such more later. As for replaying the stages, I figured that out... you bring up the map and then you can select the missions from there (as well as warping to another area or seeing the location of certain things like side quests and mithril bricks).

Really enjoying the game so far... the production values are quite high and it is just indescribably cool to wander around some of these locations.

Also, the title screen has been changing based on how far along I am... prior to starting the first FOTR mission, it was showing the intro w Galadriel talking about the ring and such... after that, it showed the Shire... now that I reached TTT, it is showing Isengard.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 am

Almost asked what FOTR was, figured out it meant Fellowship of the Ring.

Black Ops II campaign was quite enjoyable. Actually has some replay value.

Also, the online isn't too bad as long as you play league mode. Otherwise, learn to hate yourself.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 am

Okay, so AC3 got really cool really fast. Great plot twist early in the story.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Got Black Ops II. This is my first time playing Black Ops after playing the last two Modern Warfares and the WWII era games. It's a lot larger learning curve than I was expecting. I'm not sure if I like it or not.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:39 pm

How does BO2 compare with BO1?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Nabbed Borderlands 2 for 38 bucks at The Exchange this weekend. So far. I enjoy it.

Got a few hours in this now and up to level 7. I played through the original twice and all the DLCs. So far, 2 seems just as good. My two favorite games (RPG and shooter) in one. What's not to like? :thumb:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:36 pm

offsides wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Nabbed Borderlands 2 for 38 bucks at The Exchange this weekend. So far. I enjoy it.

Got a few hours in this now and up to level 7. I played through the original twice and all the DLCs. So far, 2 seems just as good. My two favorite games (RPG and shooter) in one. What's not to like? :thumb:

OK. Let me ask you a question. I just finished the first playthrough. I am really burned out on the game. Yet, I'm itching to shoot more of those morons running around. Was the second playthrough worth it? Just as fun? Or tedious. Also, did it go quicker than the first one? I mean, this time I wouldn't worry about collecting crap to sell because last time I died, I paid like $4.5 million to get resurrected and I think that's 10% of my current bank account (don't know why they decided to show large sums as 99999999).
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Sarcastic wrote:How does BO2 compare with BO1?

The campaign is definitely worth playing. I enjoyed it immensely and am going to change somethings up for my next play through.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR