Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Guinness on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am

I didn't expect this to linger on this long...

But I'm even more surprised that I am starting to just not care. It's not that I don't miss it. It's just that I don't miss it as much as I would have expected.

I consider myself a big fan... wouldn't say "die-hard", but certainly one who follows the league, watches every game I can, knows the "going-ons", gets excited for the playoffs, etc...

If I am at all representative of the fan base, both sides better get their stuff together, quickly.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:05 am

I'm in the same category. I love hockey; love playing, watching, talking about it. But I can't rattle off how many PIMs or goals a player has most days.

What makes my blood boil is when the NHLPA says "We continue to be available for negotiations at any time." That's like saying they continue to be available to sit in a room in silence with the NHL. If the NHL wants the silent treament they can go home to their wives.

Fehr is like any other Union leader. He has to make negotiations last a while. The more the players "need" him or think they need him, the more valuable he becomes. He's in there, telling the players "You don't have to give the owners all that money. They're trying to screw you! Stick with me and I'll get you the deal you deserve."

The better a deal he gets for these players just increases his asking price for the next Players Association for which he negotiates.

I'd pay $15 a week to be able to watch a live, mic'd stream of the negotiations between the two sides. I think it'd be very interesting. It would probably also take a lot of the mystery out of the question as to how the "negotiations" can stall like this.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yubb on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 am

I also think Bettman's latest tactic of telling the NHLPA that they should take a two week moratorium on negotiations sends the message that the owners can tolerate a few more lost weeks or possibly even a season more than the players can.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:08 am

Time is on the owners side, they can make it through a long lockout, they lose money but owning a sports franchise outside the top 7-8 teams in each league is less about making money and more about status symbol. They'll slash operational payrolls and go with a bare bones staff. Even if a team goes into bankruptcy, they'll still be fine or the NHL contracts 2 teams, not such a bad idea.

The NHL is primed to become the laughing stock of all professional sports, if you have to cancel two season in basically a joke and should never happen.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby no name on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:48 am

Contraction or relocating the bleeding money teams would help out the revenue sharing process. If you can move a team to a city where it can lose alot less money or even break even it helps everyone. These cities the league is keeping alive and let them lose 20 million a season doesn't help. Contracting 2 teams would probly be the best idea yet. I am sure the NHLPA would not like that. But can they do anything about it.

The league should threaten contraction and see how the NHLPA responds to losing thoes jobs.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:37 am

Both sides know that contraction is unrealistic - an empty threat. It would do nothing but create more hostility and possibly turn owners against each other. In order to threaten contraction, you'd have to name names. Expansion is far more likely than contraction at this point.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 am

I'm giving this to December 1 and giving up any hope at that point.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Absolutely ridiculous that this lockout is still going on. Destroying all the gains made past 7 years. There will be no winners from this.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
The game will rebound as it always does but I think the road back will be more arduous this time. Fans aren't ATM machines with no feelings
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm

There will be several winners to this lockout, Pierre. That's kinda the point.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Guinness wrote:I didn't expect this to linger on this long...

But I'm even more surprised that I am starting to just not care. It's not that I don't miss it. It's just that I don't miss it as much as I would have expected.

I consider myself a big fan... wouldn't say "die-hard", but certainly one who follows the league, watches every game I can, knows the "going-ons", gets excited for the playoffs, etc...

If I am at all representative of the fan base, both sides better get their stuff together, quickly.

This.

I love hockey. Which means I can watch any kind of hockey. NHL, minor league, college. I can still enjoy the game even with the lockout. And while saving money.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby champeen on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm on the ice 3 or 4 times a week coaching and playing. Haven't really missed it much. I do feel really bad for my kids, though. They keep asking when the penguins are going to be on tv. (they're 6 and 4). What's a childhood without heroes?
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:59 pm

shmenguin wrote:There will be several winners to this lockout, Pierre. That's kinda the point.

Interested in hearing you think there will be a winner; League loses revenue, Players lose a year of salary, and owners have to spend money to win back fans. I guess I would agree with the KHL being a winner...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:13 pm

It's becoming sort of amusing. No plans to meet. No communication. Nothing. Both sides are angrily sitting around and fuming.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Well, you can get away with it when you have the best fans in the world.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwnorsk on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Not felling optimistic today talked to the coach of our team in Lorenskog Norway Webber from the Sabers arrives tomorrow and he says more players maybe headed to Norway and at minimum they will be here a month.
jwnorsk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Crosby should go to that Korean league and get his scoring touch going.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Did anyone post this yet? http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/11/16/nhl-lockout-why-do-billionaires-keep-buying-teams-that-lose-money/

According to this it appears that "losing money" at least in one particular case is just creative accounting. It makes one wonder how much of the accounting is accurate and how much is done to not pay taxes.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 pm

For the players that say they are doing this for the upcoming generation of players, how stupid can you be? You are giving up your limited window to earn (solidify, if you financially plan right) a living in sports and you are giving that up to whom? If you are naive enough to think in 10 years from now some player is going to seek you out to shake your hand for standing up to ownership by forcing them to pay a minimum 50% of every dollar made, you are nuts. Get back to the table and get this done.

I am in the same boat as Guinness on this: Care enough to hold interest in what's going on, losing that interest as time goes by.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:There will be several winners to this lockout, Pierre. That's kinda the point.

Interested in hearing you think there will be a winner; League loses revenue, Players lose a year of salary, and owners have to spend money to win back fans. I guess I would agree with the KHL being a winner...

despite the doomsday vibe going on, many of the teams that were losing money before the lockout will be making money after the lockout - particularly in the long run. most of the owners will be in a better situation once the dust settles.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 pm

BigMcK wrote:For the players that say they are doing this for the upcoming generation of players, how stupid can you be? You are giving up your limited window to earn (solidify, if you financially plan right) a living in sports and you are giving that up to whom? If you are naive enough to think in 10 years from now some player is going to seek you out to shake your hand for standing up to ownership by forcing them to pay a minimum 50% of every dollar made, you are nuts. Get back to the table and get this done.

I am in the same boat as Guinness on this: Care enough to hold interest in what's going on, losing that interest as time goes by.

A large number of current NHL players will still be around in 5-6 years when the next CBA will likely expire. Speculation says they have already begun fighting that fight in the current CBA talks, trying to protect themselves for what is most likely going to be another lockout.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm

If the NHL plays games this season, will you be less likely to attend fewer games as you can; attend as many as you can; attend none?

(don't know how to do a poll post)

My vote for this season is that I am not rushing back to see any game, but would go if the Pens played local to me.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Honestly i think Bettman knows he won't beat Fehr in negotiations, and he is willing to wait it out until the players force Fehr to make a deal or until the players throw Fehr out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:55 pm

BigMcK wrote:If the NHL plays games this season, will you be less likely to attend fewer games as you can; attend as many as you can; attend none?

(don't know how to do a poll post)

My vote for this season is that I am not rushing back to see any game, but would go if the Pens played local to me.

Click on New Topic, then at the bottom you'll see a tab for Poll Creation. Then just go line by line and it automatically formats it.

1. blah
2. bleh
3. blooh

Click Preview to see how it will look.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:10 pm

I was wondering about the poll too - how others felt?

For me, it depends on how long this goes. If they play this season, i'm sure I'll come back. I'm protesting in a small way, by not purchasing any NHL merchandise etc for a while.

If we lose the entire season, I will seriously consider not coming back. Most likely though, I will come back - but I think I'll be a different fan. I'll become more of a casual fan. Why should I invest time & money in a league that has so many labor disputes - especially when the games are so expensive to attend in person?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins