2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Grunthy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 am

Matt Barkley might be injured.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

Too bad OSU can't go to a bowl. This would definitely have been the year to go undefeated.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 am

Phone fail post.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 am

MRandall25 wrote:Too bad OSU can't go to a bowl. This would definitely have been the year to go undefeated.

OSU really screwed up on their decision regarding the year they chose to be ineligible.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Too bad OSU can't go to a bowl. This would definitely have been the year to go undefeated.

OSU really screwed up on their decision regarding the year they chose to be ineligible.

I think it was because the NCAA waited until the middle of last season to dole out the punishment, but I could be wrong.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Oregon uniforms are amazing. I want them in a bowl just to see how they can out-ugly themselves. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Its so funny around here having us who have despised Ohio State all our lives root for them to go unbeaten, then our other friends who are OSU fans wishing they'd lose 1 game.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Its so funny around here having us who have despised Ohio State all our lives root for them to go unbeaten, then our other friends who are OSU fans wishing they'd lose 1 game.

I want them to go undefeated.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:21 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Its so funny around here having us who have despised Ohio State all our lives root for them to go unbeaten, then our other friends who are OSU fans wishing they'd lose 1 game.

Why?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:05 pm

I want them to go away.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 pm

The prospect of ND-Alabama makes me barf. It will make me barf less if Alabama exposes OUR HOLIFIED MOTHER NOTRE DAME and beats them by three touchdowns.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Godric wrote:

Why?

Because you have those of us who hate their guts wishing they'd go unbeaten, and diehard fans/ alumni rooting for them to lose at least one game since both would be a complete waste with their given status.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:02 am

Is this the part where I pretend to be upset about MD taking off for the B1G? I don't want the B1G to realize other ACC fans aren't upset at all, lest Delany come to his senses and not take the Terps off our hands. So here goes my attempt at being upset, and if this trolls Draftnik into coming back, then it was worth it.

Maryland, I'll miss your terribly run athletic department, your crippling debt, your horrible facilities, and your fanbase who thinks t-shirts, sideways visors, flip flops, and a chinstrap beard is the height of fashion. I'll miss the worry about getting shot if I venture into the wrong part of MD leaving your stadium. I'll miss your penchant for rioting and burning things on the rare occasion your team does something successfully. Your empty stadiums will look great on the Big Ten Network, and the on-campus shots will make people wonder why there's a documentary on the fire-bombing of Dresden on their TV. Perhaps if you could live within your means and not try to fund sports you couldn't afford, you wouldn't have to whore yourself out to go play Iowa and Minnesota. But then you wouldn't be Maryland if you were smart about things. That's what we love about you. After all, you're listening to Kevin Plank, who had a big hand in driving off the most successful coach you had in years which set off the chain of events that led to Randy Edsall taking over. You should definitely listen to his advice on how to run your program. You've been making terrible decisions since you hired Debbie Yow; why be intelligent at this point? Part of being free to make your own choices is being free to make terrible decisions. Any time you can make a choice that enrages your fanbase and will lead to spending money you don't have...I mean, you do that, right? I completely understand.

And B1G, wow, you sure know how to get back at Notre Dame for jilting you. You're like the girl who gets her revenge on her ex-boyfriend by sleeping with his dorky computer programmer friend who designed his own robotic woman and thinks Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory is a role model. ND leaves you, so you steal MD? Wow, I'm hurt. I'd be even more hurt if you stole Boston College from us. (Seriously, take BC and MD, and we'll waive the buyout fees.) I can only think that Illinois decided they no longer could bear the burden of being the lone pit of despair in the B1G and needed help carrying the load. Well, College Park fits the bill. Congrats, B1G, you have two soul-sucking pits now. You really want the dozens of fans that MD has? I can see the allure of subsidizing their sinking ship. And you're adding Rutgers, which means you're adding this guy to the fanbase: http://www.ottosarmy.com/wp-content/upl ... 3ed8i3.jpg (linked rather than embedded because I am polite)

Jim Delany is supposedly a shrewd businessman who overcomes a lack of people skills, warmth and humanity by being smart with money. After waiting 20 years for Nebraska to come available because you didn't want to rush into something, you drunkenly married a stripper in Vegas because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Congrats, you're adding the 4th most popular team in the DMV area and at best the 3rd most popular team in the New Jersey/NYC area that barely cares about college sports. It's just bad luck that no one in the ACC hates MD enough to consider them a rival and be upset that they're leaving. Texas fans were sad about losing the A&M rivalry, Pitt and WVU miss the Backyard Brawl. MD's permanent rival is UVA, and they may or may not notice that MD won't be on the schedule next year. But hey, Maryland has both an Applebee's AND a Chili's, and you can't turn down that kind of combination when looking for places to add to your conference.

As for the ACC, it will be tough to get over this crushing blow, but we'll manage by adding either Louisville or UConn. It's a shame WVU is off the table, as they'd replace MD's couch-burning tendencies but the conference will make do. Louisville has money, nice facilities, and their fanbase has the same fashion sense as MD except they prefer linebeards over chinstrap beards so it's not that much of a change. Plus they have access to Maker's Mark. UConn has a better hoops program than MD once they get players who can actually read again, and somehow their football team is a slight upgrade over the disaster that is the SS Randy Edsall. Trust me, we're as shocked as you are, but somehow you're worse than UConn, probably because they aren't playing a LB at QB. I hope you enjoy life getting crushed by everyone else in the B1G, though secretly we all know you loved it when Duke fans chanted "not our rival!" at you. That was your brief bit of relevance. You'll have to stop blaming Coach K for all your problems now though, which may be difficult for you guys. I'm sure you will figure it out.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 am

I'm not saying that I care about the B1G, and I certainly don't refer to it as we, but if you think this is about the "prestige" of the Maryland football program and isn't about Delaney expanding the market of his conference, I think you are missing the entire point of the move. Now whether you agree with the effectiveness of that is an entirely different argument. Here's a simple equation:

Big Ten Network + Pr(expansion into local DC/NYC cable packages | Rutgers, Maryland joining) * Alumni base in DC/NoVa/NYC area = $$$^2.

P.S. you do come across as, you know, kind of upset.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:28 am

Rocco always seems upset.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 am

Personally, I think it's terrible the B1G is (rumoured to be) letting Maryland and Rutgers in. Nothing like watering the competition down even more (not that I'm complaining, more wins for OSU I guess), but if the B1G wants to be more relevant, can't be going around adding ACC and Big Least rejects.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 am

MRandall25 wrote:Personally, I think it's terrible the B1G is (rumoured to be) letting Maryland and Rutgers in. Nothing like watering the competition down even more (not that I'm complaining, more wins for OSU I guess), but if the B1G wants to be more relevant, can't be going around adding ACC and Big Least rejects.

I wouldn't get too worked up until an announcement is made. Perhaps the B1G is dumb enough to add Rutgers, but it doesn't seem like it. No one in Philly or NYC cares about Rutgers (or college football in general), so it's not like the NJ market is a real plumb for anyone. Hell, I'm not even sure they even care about Rutgers. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I'm not saying that I care about the B1G, and I certainly don't refer to it as we, but if you think this is about the "prestige" of the Maryland football program and isn't about Delaney expanding the market of his conference, I think you are missing the entire point of the move. Now whether you agree with the effectiveness of that is an entirely different argument. Here's a simple equation:

Big Ten Network + Pr(expansion into local DC/NYC cable packages | Rutgers, Maryland joining) * Alumni base in DC/NoVa/NYC area = $$$^2.

P.S. you do come across as, you know, kind of upset.

Not really. Won't miss MD one bit. And I understand he's doing it for TV reasons, but in the process he's diluting his brand and bringing on schools that are hemorrhaging money.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 am

Maryland and Rutgers do not have nearly enough NCAA sanctions or revoked major sports titles to play in the B1G.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:47 am

hehe welcome back rocco
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 am

Maryland and Rutgers really offer little. If they were to add Maryland and VT that would be a different ballgame.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:13 am

Rutgers is the best of the bunch, from a business perspective.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 am

ulf wrote:hehe welcome back rocco

kenny the kangaroo hasnt checked lgp.com since wednesday, and lo and behold rocco goes on a vintage rant on college fb. what a great day to return to lgp.com.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 am

canaan wrote:Rutgers is the best of the bunch, from a business perspective.

Why?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am

For those that think this is just losing Maryland, it is much more than that. It shows the Big 10 (and soon the SEC once they launch their network) are going to expand to get into different regions for cash. And the best region left is east in ACC territory.

I keep saying it, but the ACC is doomed. The BIG and SEC did their westward expansion the last two years, and now they will focus on the east.

The next move will be FSU bolting a sinking ship with some SE buddies in Clemson, GT, Miami to the Big XII where at least they have some stability now and more money.

That will open up the BIG and SEC to split the North Carolina and Virigina market with UVA and NC going to the BIG and NC St and VT to the SEC.

It might take some time, but this is the ultimate outcome. Been saying it since the original expansion thread. I was told by Draftnik that Maryland to the BIG would never happen because UMD is ACC through and through. Well, when $$$$ is flashed in front of you, a lot of things change.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR