Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby offsides on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
offsides wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Nabbed Borderlands 2 for 38 bucks at The Exchange this weekend. So far. I enjoy it.

Got a few hours in this now and up to level 7. I played through the original twice and all the DLCs. So far, 2 seems just as good. My two favorite games (RPG and shooter) in one. What's not to like? :thumb:

OK. Let me ask you a question. I just finished the first playthrough. I am really burned out on the game. Yet, I'm itching to shoot more of those morons running around. Was the second playthrough worth it? Just as fun? Or tedious. Also, did it go quicker than the first one? I mean, this time I wouldn't worry about collecting crap to sell because last time I died, I paid like $4.5 million to get resurrected and I think that's 10% of my current bank account (don't know why they decided to show large sums as 99999999).

Well, as you probably know, the second playthrough is just the same as the first but with better\more unique weapons. Was it woth it? I enjoyed the first trip through more than the second, but I still liked it, a lot, even though there are no real surprises. I have played a lot of games that weren't as fun as the second playthrough.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am

Played through the first couple missions of TTT. Ran into a couple bugs when I went back to explore the Dead Marshes a bit... also had the game freeze on me partway through the first Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas mission. It seems like you can switch back and forth between the 2 groups, but you can only go so far... for instance, I cannot enter Osgilliath yet, so I have to start playing the other missions. I wasn't really thrilled with the Dead Marshes mission... it was basically 2 parts, but those 2 parts were both long and repetitive. Maybe it will be more interesting to go back and explore...

The Lego Olliphaunts were pretty sweet, btw.

I think it's going to be super fun to go back and explore in this game since it seems like there is every bit as much hidden stuff in the world as there is in the stages themselves. I've found a remarkably low number of mini-kits thus far during the stages... once or twice I've found 2 or 3, but usually it's 1 or 0.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:23 pm

GF and I started playing Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light. We bought this game months ago, but never played it in full. So we decided on it now. Looks great and plays great. A+.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:12 pm

I think I'm just about finished with the initial run through story mode in Lego LOTR. In general, it's been a lot of fun. However, one major disappointment for me is that it seems like Minas Tirirth is limited to the 7th level, and even then, you can't enter the Citadel. I guess it would have been a lot of work to have more of the city, but it would have been amazing to explore.

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields was a little frustrating until I figured out exactly what I was supposed to do to bring down the Oliphaunts. Seems like it would be much easier with 2 players since the other player could concentrate on killing the Easterlings that attack almost nonstop while you're trying to aim Legolas's bow.

It's definitely going to take awhile to get everything... looking forward to exploring more though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 am

went to walmart this morning and snagged up a wiiU. no line, no nonsense. lol
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 am

canaan wrote:went to walmart this morning and snagged up a wiiU. no line, no nonsense. lol

Cool. Which games did you get for it? Review, plz.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 am

Playing AC3... not really impressed. I really liked Brotherhood. It was fantastic. AC3 so far is a real letdown IMO.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
canaan wrote:went to walmart this morning and snagged up a wiiU. no line, no nonsense. lol

i got scribblenauts and zombieU...gonna pick up mario later. im at work right meow. when i get home and fire it up, ill review and report.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

Finished story mode... sitting at 32.8%. Got a bit of work to do. Finishing story mode unlocks Free Play in Middle Earth. It also appears that there is some kind of concept of Night and Day as well, as now when warping to a location, you can select night or day. Haven't tried it out yet, but that opens quite the proverbial can of worms in terms of possibilities when searching for things... I guess that explains why a couple of the items on the map showed crescent symbols when I put the cursor over them. Makes a lot more sense when you can actually switch between day and night.

The map is a difference maker in terms of finding things in Middle Earth itself... every time you find a Map Stone it adds the locations of some things to the map in that area (mithril bricks, side quests, blacksmith designs and characters you can buy). I was able to reach True Adventurer on most of the story missions the first time through, but I generally didn't find a whole lot of the other stuff... usually only a minikit piece or two, occasionally a blacksmith design or a tool.

I was initially disappointed that most of the Minas Tirith story line was excluded (except the battle of course), but as a bonus, once you are in Free Play, you can light the beacons. I enjoyed that far too much, but I just love that scene in the movie... between the scale of the event and the soundtrack... <3
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 pm

I want so badly for Nintendo to scrape their hardware and create software for Xbox/PS.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:58 pm

count2infinity wrote:Playing AC3... not really impressed. I really liked Brotherhood. It was fantastic. AC3 so far is a real letdown IMO.

It takes a while to pick up. I've enjoyed it so far, but it did start slow.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 pm

canaan wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

i got scribblenauts and zombieU...gonna pick up mario later. im at work right meow. when i get home and fire it up, ill review and report.

Yes a review would defiently be appreciated
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Beware of the long wiiU firmware update canaan.
http://m.kotaku.com/5961577/bummed+out- ... are-update
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:28 pm

skullman80 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Playing AC3... not really impressed. I really liked Brotherhood. It was fantastic. AC3 so far is a real letdown IMO.

Same... the first few missions were pretty blah. Someone mentioned the early plot twist, which I just hit Friday night. At least I'm assuming I know what they meant.

I just became Connor, but I probably won't get another chance to play for a couple weeks due to moving.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:07 pm

skullman80 wrote:

Not the review i was looking for. Been on the fence about buying this.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 pm

anybody know any place to rent games in the Beaver County area? :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:42 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Beware of the long wiiU firmware update canaan.
http://m.kotaku.com/5961577/bummed+out- ... are-update

Heh. I was logging in just to comment on such. I've been download for an hr and 20 minutes and I'm at about 50%
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Looks like it's a good idea to have an external hard drive so you can actually play more than 1 game.

http://kotaku.com/5960438/nintendo-expl ... ?tag=wii-u
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 am

AMAZON calendar for this week's daily sales. Notice the specific times.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?t=slickdeals&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&docId=1000853511&linkCode=ur2&tag=slickdeals

I'm getting Dishonored ($25), The Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank Collection, and maybe Arkham Asylum (I don't like Batman but for $10...). Spec Ops: The Line on Friday, for sure.

Did anyone play Syndicate? No idea what that is.

A lot of those Lego games you guys like are on sale.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 am

WiiU first thoughts:

The update sucked hard. i think it took me ~3 hours to update. And then another 45 minutes adding Mii's, television settings, hooking up the remote to my television and satellite box. I played NSMBU for about an hour and loved it--same classic side scrolling deliciousness. The best thing so far is the ability to play on the remote screen during the steelers game so i could play and watch at the same time. Not something you can do with every game, but nice nonetheless. graphics are sharp, anti-aliased, and all around decent.

The browser on the remote and on-screen are pretty awful. just slow and clunky (no finger-swipe zoom like a smartphone). It took about 30 seconds to load yahoo.com.

Gonna play ZombiU today when I get home.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:30 am

Returned Black Ops 2 after 2 days of playing. Worst FPS I have ever played in my life. Multiplayer is abysmal.

Just nabbed Halo 4.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 am

Jesse wrote:Returned Black Ops 2 after 2 days of playing. Worst FPS I have ever played in my life. Multiplayer is abysmal.

Just nabbed Halo 4.

they give you any problems when you returned the game?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 am

Jesse wrote:Returned Black Ops 2 after 2 days of playing. Worst FPS I have ever played in my life. Multiplayer is abysmal.

You know what. After Rylan said he liked it, I went on youtube to watch the first 2.5 chapters. It looked fun, don't get me wrong, but I also saw a lot of problems. The game doesn't seem too polished. I saw a guy who's holding into a vehicle, standing on its side ladder (I think), and yet manages to use TWO hands to reload his ammo. WTF. I saw a dead guy on a boat, twisted into a pretzel and stuck right in the floor. You gotta put more care into details like that in this day and age. I didn't like how the story/dialogs were evolving in the early chapters. Then when it came to fighting, after he got off the boat with the injured guy, this one bad dude threw a grenade and all his soldiers jumped on it in sacrifice. Bleh. Then as the 3 guys were escaping, they were just swarmed by the bad guys and the dude was getting shot in the back so badly and still remained somehow OK to fight them. I dunno. On first look, it seemed like a fun, but empty and meaningless shooter. I understand most buy these games for MP, but I'm not much into that. I'm sure I'll play the game sometime soon, but I'm not spending anywhere more than $15 for it. I'll probably just borrow it for the 6 hour single player.

Also, what's with the squirrel-based flying suits? It'd be cool if they only allowed a little distance, but those guys were going like they had jet engines in them. Totally unrealistic. At that point, I just closed the video.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 am

That new Mario game looks really fun, canaan.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 am

Sarcastic wrote:That new Mario game looks really fun, canaan.

its not anything groundbreaking or fresh for that matter, but it has some super mario world elements and a good amount of replay ability.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR