PSU Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:37 am

Let me change my position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09IUXNZ_Ws

Better angle right at the end - definitely see the PSU player with control (other hand below the ball). Easy TD call.

The only thing I can think of is the Nebraska player - on his way to hit the PSU guy - touched the ball before it hit the goal line - and started to knock it loose at that moment. Even that would have been bang-bang, and it looks like the ball was still just at the goal line if you assume the Nebraska player made contact with the ball at the earliest moment, so it should still be a TD.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:37 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:The call has nothing to do with whether the ball crossed the goal line. It was the opinion of the official, and mine to when seeing it the first time, that as the PSU player goes to extend the ball, he loses control. This happens around the 1 yard line or so I would say.

That's why the ball is so far forward in his hands. To me, it looked like in his thrust to move it forward, he lost it, and his hands were just following the ball at that point, going with the motion so to speak.

Lol.

Best wishes to Mauti though. He's been the heart and soul of the team all year. What a terrible way to end his career.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see previous post.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Don't get game in NY...what happened to Mauti?! :( :(
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 pm

O-lineman fell on his knee. Was taken off the field on a cart.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm

woot woot
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:42 pm

was the block on Mauti as dirty as my FB feed makes it out to be?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:53 pm

I didn't see anything dirty about it but i wasn't completely paying attention
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:30 pm

mac5155 wrote:was the block on Mauti as dirty as my FB feed makes it out to be?

While I was in another room, the announcers replayed it to dispel the notion that it was dirty: I heard (paraphrased) "Definitely not at all a chop block." So, that's someone's opinion. I didn't see it.

Mike Mauti, you've been awesome and have had a year, on and off the field, of which you can be very proud. :thumb:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 am

Mauti got hurt on a low block, but too many bodies to see in the replay they showed as to whether it met the definition of the illegal kind.

They did show him on the sideline at the end of the game in crutches.

Report out of postgame is that BOB was noncommittal about 2013 - at least as reported by Ben Jones on twitter (statecollege.com's beat reporter)

Ben Jones ‏@Ben_Jones88

O'Brien won't give a "Yes" or "No" to coaching next season. Says people gave legs to a story that isn't there, but doesn't exactly say no.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jones88/status/ ... 6961541122

Ben Jones ‏@Ben_Jones88

If Bill O'Brien knows he is staying, he has to say so. Losing him this offseason would hurt Penn State more than sanctions would.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jones88/status/ ... 4951730176

Ben Jones ‏@Ben_Jones88

Know some of you think the media is making a mountain out of a molehill, but it isn't a trick question and he has given nonspecific answers

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jones88/status/ ... 9348358144
Ben Jones ‏@Ben_Jones88

He has a contract for the better part of a decade, if him not committing to year two isn't at least suspicious then I don't know what is.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jones88/status/ ... 9911432192

Apparently the questioner has an article up about it on Pennlive.com: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... /11/o.html
None of this necessarily means O'Brien is out the door.

It just means he won't lie. He won't sit there one day like Nick Saban did with the Miami fans and tell them he was absolutely staying and a few days later sign a lucrative contract in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

O'Brien is not going to hem himself in. He's not going to diagram a whiteboard when he doesn't know the package of possible plays yet.

That's the way the guy is. That's what makes him so good at what he does. And we're all just going to have to live with it.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 pm

O'Brien's buyout is upwards of ~$9 million, I don't see him going anywhere for the next few years.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I would be horribly disappointed if he left. I know he has a really tough road ahead of him, but I have really grown to like him a ton as a coach and a person.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:01 pm

He knew what he was getting into, that would make zero sense for him to just leave.
Especially after such a good season. :?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm

I think he knew what he was getting into, but didn't know that he would be getting attention from the NFL so soon.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Anyone else thought the replay call in the 2nd half went Penn State's way solely as make=up for the Nebraska call? At best I thought it would be incomplete pass, as he never really secured the ball. And given the replays BTN showed, sure looked like a bang/bang on the goal line/ball loose, with not being able to tell which side.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:27 pm

BOB has to know that he'd look pretty bad if he left after one year, especially after his assertions that he was in it "for the long haul" after the NCAA sanctions were handed down. That's my belief, anyway.

An NFL team will pony up the 9.2 million to get him out of his contract. I don't think that's an issue.

I'm pretty annoyed that this question has arisen in the first place, just when things have stabilized somewhat.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

not gonna lie, if someone was going to pay me enough that they're also covering a 9 mil buy-out, I'd get over the looking bad part of it pretty quickly.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Orlando Penguin on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:01 am

1. Mauti injury -- textbook chop block. Fully engaged up top when the running back dives into his knee. The *** on BTN who claimed no chop block were shot down by Howard Griffith in the studio after the game saying it was most definitely a chop block.

2. Replay upholding Zwinak TD -- Another classic case of the call on the field having to stand because the blind mice in the booth couldn't figure it out. To me, it was a catch, fumble, touchback. But because Z's back was to the calling official, that official couldn't see when the ball came out until it was over the goal line, thus the touchdown signal. On replay, it sure looks like that ball was coming out before he crossed the goal line. (who said PSU fans couldn't see it both ways?)

3. My opinion, if OB wants to take his chances at the NFL level, then be my guest. He could certainly be an all-timer at PSU...hell, he's already one just with the job he's done this year. But a lot of these guys have these giant egos where they want to prove themselves at the highest level and there are so many of them that fail. Hell, Saban was a huge failure at the NFL level but most non-Dolphins fans look past that blip on his resume.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:04 am

I never thought Zwinak had complete control of the football. If anything it should have been an incomplete pass.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 am

I honestly didn't think they'd call it a touchdown. Look at Zwinak's face after he drops it. He though it was incomplete as well.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:26 am

count2infinity wrote:I honestly didn't think they'd call it a touchdown. Look at Zwinak's face after he drops it. He though it was incomplete as well.

I agree, but that said I'm so tired of the conspiracy talk. First the call vs Nebraska was a conspiracy against PSU. Now the call in the IU game is a conspiracy the other way to make up for the Nebraska call?

Ugh.

My Dad's cousin offered us tickets to the Wisconsin game, was going to be my first game since 1994 and my kids' first game ever.

Cuz forgot and gave them to a business associate.

Dispwn3d.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 am

i don't think there's any sort of conspiracy here. in the nebraska game it was a very very close call. the call on the field was fumble, so that's what was upheld. here it's the same thing. it was so close that it really depended on what the call on the field was. it was called a touchdown so that's what was upheld.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 am

wait wait.. BOB is thinking about leaving?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 am

count2infinity wrote:i don't think there's any sort of conspiracy here. in the nebraska game it was a very very close call. the call on the field was fumble, so that's what was upheld. here it's the same thing. it was so close that it really depended on what the call on the field was. it was called a touchdown so that's what was upheld.

Yeah, I should have referred it back to this

relantel wrote:Anyone else thought the replay call in the 2nd half went Penn State's way solely as make=up for the Nebraska call? .
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

I'm still on the fence regarding BOB. I can't decide if he is that good of an offensive coach or if the previous regime was that inept. It very well could be both though.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm

At least some of the improvement of the offense can be attributed to focusing soley on McGloin instead of Rob Bolden. Bolden was horrible during his time at PSU. He had little accuracy.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR