Gym/Exercise Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby CERV96 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Starting a 28 day intense weight loss program Monday after thanksgiving. I did half of the program 3 or 4 years ago and it worked. Went from 350 to 240 in about 2-3 months. It took longer due to me only doing half of the workouts but stayed with the eating program cause obviously @ 350 pounds I was in no condition to do the full.

Work Outs
Week 1
30 min cardio in AM
30 min cardio PM

Week 2
40 in AM & PM

Week 3
50 in AM & PM

Week 4
60 in AM & PM

6 small meals a day staying below 2,000 calories half protein shakes half solid meals.

It is off of an article a friend gave me in muscle magazine.
Last edited by CERV96 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,632
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Philly marathon was today. I am definitely serious about getting in solid shape, and even plan on doing the Broad St 10 mile run in May, but I can't see myself ever doing a marathon. Just about everything I read agrees that it does more damage to your body than good, even if you aren't normally prone to cardiac events. Running is super-healthy, running marathons is bad.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby yubb on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 am

I agree. I did the DC 10 Miler last month. Ten miles is quite a bit of running for me. As far as my lungs go, I had plenty left in the tank. But the strain on my joints and muscles as considerable. I couldn't imaging running more than double that amount. It can't be good for you.

That said, I saw a girl running the 10 Miler barefoot..
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby yubb on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:59 am

CERV96 wrote:Starting a 28 day intense weight loss program Monday after thanksgiving. I did half of the program 3 or 4 years ago and it worked. Went from 350 to 240 in about 2-3 months. It took longer due to me only doing half of the workouts but stayed with the eating program cause obviously @ 350 pounds I was in no condition to do the full.

Work Outs
Week 1
30 min cardio in AM
30 min cardio PM

Week 2
40 in AM & PM

Week 3
50 in AM & PM

Week 4
60 in AM & PM

6 small meals a day staying below 2,000 calories half protein shakes half solid meals.

It is off of an article a friend gave me in muscle magazine.


I'm very wary of including protein shakes when trying to lose weight and not to build muscle. I drink a shake after a weight lifting workout and an hour later I'm starving. In general that's OK for me as I'm pretty active and a hard gainer. For someone looking to lose weight that could be trouble especially if it doesn't keep you full for long like me.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby JS© on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Philly marathon was today. I am definitely serious about getting in solid shape, and even plan on doing the Broad St 10 mile run in May, but I can't see myself ever doing a marathon. Just about everything I read agrees that it does more damage to your body than good, even if you aren't normally prone to cardiac events. Running is super-healthy, running marathons is bad.


I would like to do one, but realistically I know it will never happen. I did my first half this past May, and while it was fun, the last 3 miles were the worst. There's no way I could do a second 13.1 on top of that.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,292
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm going to the RPAC (the big gym on campus) for something, and I figured I'd get a workout in while I'm there.

Can anyone recommend what would be suitable for someone who plays ultimate? It's the legwork of soccer combined with the jumping/verticality basketball, and the arms of football, in a way (triceps, biceps, pecs, shoulders, and forearms).

EDIT: and the gym has every machine imaginable.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,849
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 pm

do them all
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,940
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:12 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Philly marathon was today. I am definitely serious about getting in solid shape, and even plan on doing the Broad St 10 mile run in May, but I can't see myself ever doing a marathon. Just about everything I read agrees that it does more damage to your body than good, even if you aren't normally prone to cardiac events. Running is super-healthy, running marathons is bad.


the broad street run is great. when i did it, i started training in february, and was ready in may. doesn't take a ton of time to get ready for a 10 miler.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,530
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I half want to do the Pittsburgh half next year. My brother is going insane with running this year. He just started running in like late May/early June and ran in the North Park 50k last weekend. He wants me to do a half so I can pace him for 10 miles during a 50 mile next year.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,899
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby bh on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 am

I've known a lot of people that ran the broad steet run and they all say the same things. Nice and flat, great time. Maybe I should try it next year.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby bh on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 am

Kraftster wrote:I half want to do the Pittsburgh half next year. My brother is going insane with running this year. He just started running in like late May/early June and ran in the North Park 50k last weekend. He wants me to do a half so I can pace him for 10 miles during a 50 mile next year.

yeah, 50 miles is pretty extreme. I like running and all but I agree with Shaf, everything I read points that running marathons is not a healthy activity. I could see training for a couple and that's it, but people really seem to get addicted to them.

I have another question for the regulars here. I've started strength training 3 days a week and I notice a huge difference in how it makes me feel compared to running. When I run, I am energized the rest of the day. I get a boost from it. When I lift, (usually in the morning), I am just dead tired the rest of the day. It makes me into can't concentrate at work tired. I've made sure to get 8 hours sleep nights before I lift. I usually grab a banana and water and eat that as I drive to the gym. After I lift I'll eat oatmeal right before work. After that I am just exhausted though. Just looking for quicker recovery and less tiredness. Any ideas?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 am

bh wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I half want to do the Pittsburgh half next year. My brother is going insane with running this year. He just started running in like late May/early June and ran in the North Park 50k last weekend. He wants me to do a half so I can pace him for 10 miles during a 50 mile next year.

yeah, 50 miles is pretty extreme. I like running and all but I agree with Shaf, everything I read points that running marathons is not a healthy activity. I could see training for a couple and that's it, but people really seem to get addicted to them.

I have another question for the regulars here. I've started strength training 3 days a week and I notice a huge difference in how it makes me feel compared to running. When I run, I am energized the rest of the day. I get a boost from it. When I lift, (usually in the morning), I am just dead tired the rest of the day. It makes me into can't concentrate at work tired. I've made sure to get 8 hours sleep nights before I lift. I usually grab a banana and water and eat that as I drive to the gym. After I lift I'll eat oatmeal right before work. After that I am just exhausted though. Just looking for quicker recovery and less tiredness. Any ideas?


It's probably the oatmeal. Protein, creatine, magnesium, and D3 after lifting should help.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,021
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 am

bh, the vast majority of things I've read support doing strength training in the afternoon or evening, since you are still in a somewhat catabolic state in the morning.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby bh on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:bh, the vast majority of things I've read support doing strength training in the afternoon or evening, since you are still in a somewhat catabolic state in the morning.
I'd like to, but I just can't swing that with my home schedule. It's morning or nothing unfortunately. I like lifting early. I have always been a morning person. There are a lot of pluses to lifting early too; no one else is there, I never have to wait, no traffic driving there, get home at a decent hour. I just wish it didn't drain me so bad.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby bh on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:It's probably the oatmeal. Protein, creatine, magnesium, and D3 after lifting should help.
Normally I eat 3 eggs every monring but when I go to the gym so early I don't have time to make eggs. I was thinking about hard boiling them and eating them in the car on the way. I also noticed with the oatmeal that I am sooooooo hungry about an hour after I eat a large bowl of the stuff. I've just been doing oatmeal because it's easy and I can make it at work. It's obviously not working though.

Also, I'm almost positive that I am allergic to protein powder or something in the powder. When I take it, I get pretty bad heart palpitations. I thought it might be coffee, but I have narrowed it down to the protein. When I take it my heart beats funny. When I don't take it, I'm fine. Needless to say, when my heart is involved, I don't mess around. On a somewhat related note, I have a 5lb bag of powder I need to get rid of.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 pm

bh wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:bh, the vast majority of things I've read support doing strength training in the afternoon or evening, since you are still in a somewhat catabolic state in the morning.

I'd like to, but I just can't swing that with my home schedule. It's morning or nothing unfortunately. I like lifting early. I have always been a morning person. There are a lot of pluses to lifting early too; no one else is there, I never have to wait, no traffic driving there, get home at a decent hour. I just wish it didn't drain me so bad.


I feel you here. I hate going to the gym after work.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 pm

You guys need home gyms.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,995
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Reason I normally don't lift #34:

I was doing lat pulldowns yesterday, and now my left arm won't/can't straighten to full extension...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,849
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

T-Rex arms?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,995
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby legame on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Sounds like the first problem is you were using entirely too much arms and not enough of your back...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,927
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Wilmywood, NC

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Reason I normally don't lift #34:

I was doing lat pulldowns yesterday, and now my left arm won't/can't straighten to full extension...


Do you even lift?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Rylan wrote:T-Rex arms?


Not quite.

And I was following the picture on the machine. Not really sure what/how I was doing it wrong
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,849
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 pm

:face: shad don't bring that ridiculous internet meme in here.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,995
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:56 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Reason I normally don't lift #34:

I was doing lat pulldowns yesterday, and now my left arm won't/can't straighten to full extension...


Do you even lift?


Until yesterday I hadn't lifted in about 2 years.

Though I think this is some sort of meme, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,849
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm

:D
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, DudeMan2766, Geezer, lemieuxReturns, llipgh2, meow, Rocco, the wicked child and 9 guests

e-mail