2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Rocco wrote:Let's be honest- if they stay, you'll invent new doomsday scenarios based on something an internet troll says whether it's true or not. Did you notice how the UMD stuff happened quickly and quietly and there weren't daily leaks from internet message boards about how it was imminent, and that once it became legitimate, Brett McMurphy jumped on it?

But those UMD rumors have been around for 3 years. Same with Rutgers. Go back and re-read a lot of my posts in the realignment threads. I'd say eventually RU and UMD would be Big 10 targets and got mocked.

Some moves will and won't happen, but I think a lot of rumors have some truth to them. I think the Big 10 wants to get into the mid atlantic region and that is their ultimate goal, to get UVA and UNC. I think the SEC wants to do the same with VT and NC st. It might take time, but I think it happens.

And I also think the Southeast block of ACC school are very nervous and also disappointed in how the ACC has performed on the field. I think FSU and Clemson possibly will explore the Big XII and may make that move, and that is what will set the above off.

The ACC will always exist IMO, but it will be a mix of "leftovers" which will probably include Pitt (I think their only savign grace is if Big XII goes to 16 and wants them), Cuse, Uconn, BC, WF, Duke, Cincy, Louisville, USF, UCF, and maybe a few others. And of course ND as a BB only member.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tomas on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Great Nate Silver chips is (also includes links to school rankings in terms of football popularity - I am actually quite surprised by how high Rutgers is):
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... ten-brand/
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 pm

i think if the whole ACC doomsday scenario happens, Pitt will end up in the Big East or Big XII. I'm not worried about them.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:Let's be honest- if they stay, you'll invent new doomsday scenarios based on something an internet troll says whether it's true or not. Did you notice how the UMD stuff happened quickly and quietly and there weren't daily leaks from internet message boards about how it was imminent, and that once it became legitimate, Brett McMurphy jumped on it?

But those UMD rumors have been around for 3 years. Same with Rutgers. Go back and re-read a lot of my posts in the realignment threads. I'd say eventually RU and UMD would be Big 10 targets and got mocked.

Some moves will and won't happen, but I think a lot of rumors have some truth to them. I think the Big 10 wants to get into the mid atlantic region and that is their ultimate goal, to get UVA and UNC. I think the SEC wants to do the same with VT and NC st. It might take time, but I think it happens.

And I also think the Southeast block of ACC school are very nervous and also disappointed in how the ACC has performed on the field. I think FSU and Clemson possibly will explore the Big XII and may make that move, and that is what will set the above off.

The ACC will always exist IMO, but it will be a mix of "leftovers" which will probably include Pitt (I think their only savign grace is if Big XII goes to 16 and wants them), Cuse, Uconn, BC, WF, Duke, Cincy, Louisville, USF, UCF, and maybe a few others. And of course ND as a BB only member.

You made about 88 predictions. 1 hit. Congrats, you're Eklund.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I missed this.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Tomas wrote:Great Nate Silver chips is (also includes links to school rankings in terms of football popularity - I am actually quite surprised by how high Rutgers is):
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... ten-brand/

Nate misses the point (which happens when he writes about anything other than polling). The B1G wants its network on as many basic cable networks as possible, preferably in large cities. That helps their bottom line. Any arguments about brand dilution, quality of play, etc. are null because the B1G assigns them no value.

Also, Nate's "analysis" of CFB fandom said Auburn had more fans than Alabama. That makes me highly skeptical both in general and of the rating of Rutgers's fanbase.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:42 pm

I hope you aren't second-guessing the Oracle?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Larry Ellison?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I hope you aren't second-guessing the Oracle?

Nate's a smart dude and his work in baseball is quite good. But I've beaten him the last two years at NCAA tourney predictions (and my 2011 predictions were a dumpster fire), and his political analysis (especially when he was allegedly independent pre-NYT) was spotty. He's really good at his one thing and hit-or-miss elsewhere.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 am

The NCAA is telling former Miami players that if they don't give statements then the NCAA will assume that whatever they've been told by Nevin Shapiro is true.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... atter.html

It's an interesting strategy to strong-arm people into making statements that can't be forced to make statements. Basically the NCAA is giving full weight to the words of a convicted felon. And, according to Bruce Feldman, the person telling the NCAA to do this is a Florida grad. Before NAN asks, Bruce Feldman is a well-respected NCAA journalist who has connections. He's not Dude or a random WVU message board poster, but people who don't have tinfoil on their heads consider him legit.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 am

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
legame wrote:You don't really understand the significance of the State-Carolina rivalry until you live here. I can't see State splitting from UNC unless FSU and Clemson both bolt. The ACC offices are in Greensboro and the entire league is centered around the NC schools and I just feel like they'll all stick together regardless of what happens.

Money talks. I do think the key is what FSU and Clemson does. If they stay, I think things will be ok. If they bolt, then it's every man for themselves and each school regardless of tradition will do whatever they can to get out.

Let's be honest- if they stay, you'll invent new doomsday scenarios based on something an internet troll says whether it's true or not. Did you notice how the UMD stuff happened quickly and quietly and there weren't daily leaks from internet message boards about how it was imminent, and that once it became legitimate, Brett McMurphy jumped on it?

Ha ha ha, NAN said back in September that he saw this coming... No matter how much you might try and bury that fact with sarcasm, it's still a fact.

I get such a kick out of this thread. NAN is simply reporting rumors, most of which never come true (thats why they're called rumors and not facts) Certain other people act high any mighty pointing out that they're rumors (No, DUH!) And insist that they'll never happen. When one or two (or more) come to be, there's much gnashing of teeth and attempts to change history.

The over-arching theme is that the ACC is more vulnerable than any of the other major conferences. (after the BE which I don't consider to be a major conference anymore). The exact course of the ACC's future is still to be determined, but NAN nailed the direction of this thing months ago.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:23 am

I guess since Pitt and West Virginia's respective trajectories aren't all that different, playing the game on its traditional week wouldn't have been quite the lose-lose for WVU that some were making it out to be about six weeks ago.

Could WVU really suffer anymore in the polls from playing this game than they have from their abysmal performance this season? :lol: Looks like they could have used a cupcake like Pitt on the schedule to get themselves bowl eligible.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:I guess since Pitt and West Virginia's respective trajectories aren't all that different, playing the game on its traditional week wouldn't have been quite the lose-lose for WVU that some were making it out to be about six weeks ago.

Could WVU really suffer anymore in the polls from playing this game than they have from their abysmal performance this season? :lol: Looks like they could have used a cupcake like Pitt on the schedule to get themselves bowl eligible.

No argument.

Things look entirely different here at Thansgiving than they did during week 5 of the season for WVU fans.

I don't think even the most ardent WVU fan would argue with that.

I was just telling a friend of mine that WVU fans are used to having their spirits lifted by phenomenal play from the Mountaineers, only to have those hopes dashed on the rocks (see also: 13-9)

It's just part of being a Mountaineer fan. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:07 pm

The dude is saying the Big is taking UNC and UVA and SEC is taking VT and NC St and it's over for the ACC.

Louisville is 1 vote away from getting a Big XII invite. This will cut the ACC off from getting a decent football brand and the others schools will move on.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I like how people act like this Ohio State stuff "is just because of a few tattoos" Jim Tressel was a dirty bastard at Youngstown St, I doubt a free tattoo scandel was the first thing he's ever done at Ohio State. Maurice Clarrett had a ton of cars, Nick Mangold and AJ Hawk had thousands of dollars in electronics stolen from their dorm (I know I had a few thousand dollars to blow on electronics when I was in college..) OSU got a favor for only being busted for free tattoos
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm pretty excited to see "OUR MUTHER NOTRAH DAME" on Facebook 6,000 times between now and January, if USC can't win this game.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:06 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm pretty excited to see "OUR MUTHER NOTRAH DAME" on Facebook 6,000 times between now and January, if USC can't win this game.
I enjoy your hatred for Notre Dame. Go Irish!!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 pm

I see more people bashing notre dame in this thread than people cheering for them, but yet notre dame fans are the annoying ones... :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Grunthy wrote:I see more people bashing notre dame in this thread than people cheering for them, but yet notre dame fans are the annoying ones... :pop:

The perrenially anti-establishment people are funny.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Haha, I know much of the hate is irrational. Believe me.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Grunthy wrote:I see more people bashing notre dame in this thread than people cheering for them, but yet notre dame fans are the annoying ones... :pop:

People dislike them because of their obnoxious, entitled fanbase. Not the other way around I'm sure.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Sucks that USC loses their senior starting QB one week before they host Notre Dame
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 pm

And their probably going to avoid Oregon, K State or anyone outside of Alabama that would give them a game in the National Championship
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Wow, HUGE miss for ND on that FG...absolutely huge.

If it is ND-Alabama in the BCS Championship, I would imagine Alabama is probably a 7 or 8 point favorite.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Rooting for Alabama would be difficult...but doable.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR