Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm

I think flight would be more entertaining.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm

i know its cheesy, not realistic, and all together a trainwreck, but man did i enjoy Lockout. Guy Pearce needs more work.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I want to see that movie with the boy and the tiger in a boat. Don't know what it's called.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I want to see that movie with the boy and the tiger in a boat. Don't know what it's called.

Life of Pi
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:57 pm

It does look wonderful.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 pm

canaan wrote:i know its cheesy, not realistic, and all together a trainwreck, but man did i enjoy Lockout. Guy Pearce needs more work.

He's underrated, IMO--so versatile. I'm looking forward to seeing him in The Hurt Locker.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:37 pm

canaan wrote:i know its cheesy, not realistic, and all together a trainwreck, but man did i enjoy Lockout. Guy Pearce needs more work.

I freaking LOVED that movie. His sarcasm and one-liners had me cracking up the whole movie.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Watching Blood Simple right now, never seen it before. Creepy.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tomas on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:15 am

Anna Karenina:

Quite different from what I expected. I thought it will be a big-production movie (like e.g. Dr. Zhivago), and instead, it was a movie that was constantly played on various "theater stages." The cast moves to a different room - so a different stage opens. Somebody needs to leave - so they leave on a ladder to a backstage (and sometimes the story - especially when depicting something dark - continues in the backstage). They watch fireworks - so the roof of the theater opens. Sometimes as the scene goes on, the janitor is sweeping in front of the stage. Curtains, ropes, stage lights everywhere.

It was not a crazy-dream-sequence movie (like e.g. "Black Swan"), the story was quite linear, and reasonably powerful to eventually forget the staging oddity, but it took me at least 30-45 minutes to get adjusted. Definitely not my cup of tea.

On a positive note - the movie was still able to depict all the various shades of "love" quite powerfully. Jude Law as Karenin was probably the strongest actor. Keira Knightley in the lead role was a miscast, IMO.

Knowing the story before seeing the movie definitely helps.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:26 am

Bajo la Sal. Not bad. Atmosphere was better than story development.

Wrecked. Not bad. Adrien Brody crawling around for an hour and a half.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:49 am

Eismann wrote:Bajo la Sal. Not bad. Atmosphere was better than story development.

We caught Wrecked on accident about 6 weeks ago. Agreed that it's not bad. Ending was decent. Brody did a good job in what is essentially Cast Away in the pacific northwest with a twist.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 am

IrishEyes wrote:

I freaking LOVED that movie. His sarcasm and one-liners had me cracking up the whole movie.

I like stupid action movies that atleast have respectable writing... Like Bad Boys for instance was great (both)

I enjoyed lockout

Guy Pearce is good

The hurt locker is such a **** movie .... If you want to watch good film based in the 2003-2012 Iraq

Watch the show generation kill...
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Eismann on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Eismann wrote:Bajo la Sal. Not bad. Atmosphere was better than story development.

We caught Wrecked on accident about 6 weeks ago. Agreed that it's not bad. Ending was decent. Brody did a good job in what is essentially Cast Away in the pacific northwest with a twist.

In all fairness to it, I would have enjoyed it more if the Netflix stream wasn't so choppy. Still, I do have more respect for it the day after. Ending was really strong.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Tomas wrote:Anna Karenina:

Quite different from what I expected. I thought it will be a big-production movie (like e.g. Dr. Zhivago), and instead, it was a movie that was constantly played on various "theater stages." The cast moves to a different room - so a different stage opens. Somebody needs to leave - so they leave on a ladder to a backstage (and sometimes the story - especially when depicting something dark - continues in the backstage). They watch fireworks - so the roof of the theater opens. Sometimes as the scene goes on, the janitor is sweeping in front of the stage. Curtains, ropes, stage lights everywhere.

It was not a crazy-dream-sequence movie (like e.g. "Black Swan"), the story was quite linear, and reasonably powerful to eventually forget the staging oddity, but it took me at least 30-45 minutes to get adjusted. Definitely not my cup of tea.

On a positive note - the movie was still able to depict all the various shades of "love" quite powerfully. Jude Law as Karenin was probably the strongest actor. Keira Knightley in the lead role was a miscast, IMO.

was it filmed like dogville? still one of my favorite movies for some reason

LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Watched flight with denzel, not what I thought. The crash scene was one of the most intense scenes I've seen & worthy of admission alone. The movie is dark, depressing, and sad, but it's also well done. I don't even know if I can say it was entertaining
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
Tomas wrote:Anna Karenina:

was it filmed like dogville? still one of my favorite movies for some reason

ZOMG. I hate Dogville. I was told and told by friends and everyone I needed to watch it. I thought it was terrible. I thought the story was pretty good, but I hated the presentation. It completely detracted from everything. I usually like creative and different when it comes to films, but this one wasn't for me.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 pm

All the crappy Star Wars movies are over on Spike. Onto the "real" ones from my childhood. With beer.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Life of Pi was solid. Great visuals, but unlike another fairly recent movie with great visuals (Avatar, for instance), this one actually had some legitimate substance to it. Didn't even know it was released in 3D -- it seemed like a movie where that'd be a worthwhile format to check it out in, though it was just fine and engaging in 2D as well.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 am

saw skyfall today :thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:18 am

The Grey.

Spoiler:
Loved it, until...

Spoiler:
The Coen Brothers "ending".

Spoiler:
I watch movies to be satisfied, not insulted by a failure to close.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 am

I finally got around to seeing the Avengers. I'll preface it with the fact that I have not seen any of the preceding movies, so I was going into it blind. However, I found it quite enjoyable. I'm sure there were some things that I didn't "get" the same as if I had seen the other movies, but that didn't really detract from my enjoyment. What a fun movie.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 am

A Time to Kill. What an intense movie. And some great acting
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 am

watched Ruby Sparks, followup from the people who did Little miss sunshine (i think). It was good, still thinking about what the message of the movie was, it feels like they were trying to tell me something, but I don't know what yet...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 am

A while back people were asking how The Hobbit at 48fps will look. This is sort of what it will look like:

original file at 24fps: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-Original.mkv

high frame rate file: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-InterFrame.mkv
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:24 am

Lord of War. Enjoyed it. They wouldn't make that movie the same way during Democratic presidencies, but still well done.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR