PSU Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: PSU Football Thread

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 am

My god, I cannot have any more respect for another human than I do for O'Brien and Mauti. Two guys who ooze what a football guy is supposed to be. I wish more folks in the corporate world understood how to lead. These guys both get it.

The move to put the names on the shirts this year because they all stuck by PSU was topped only by his move to put Mauti's 42 on every helmet. Teams don't win on talent alone, and there will always be defining moments in games throughout the season. There is no doubt that when things got rough this year there was never a question that every player was pulling hard on the rope together, win or lose.

I still believe they would have won in Nebraska were it not for a travesty of a replay, and they certainly should have beaten Virginia - but I have never been this happy or proud of PSU football. In ONE season, O'Brien made this school more relevant than they have been for two decades under Paterno's staid regime.

I never really liked Joe's whole shtick, and I felt distanced from really engaging with the teams as a result. O'Brien has created a new NFL factory, making PSU Linebacker AND Tight End U. Our Defensive backfield has never been more athletic as well. Receivers and RBs suddenly look like gamebreakers. The OL pushes people around instead of getting pushed around. The D-line dominates. Is it system or talent? Well, these guys were all here last year and there was no way our line play would have measured up against the beef of Nebraska or Wisconsin with Paterno's staff.

O'Brien should be Coach of the Year in a walk.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:07 pm

The 2012 team has been comemmorated at the top of the Beav.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby mac5155 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:The 2012 team has been comemmorated at the top of the Beav.

Did u take that? I heard they wanted to do this but that looks fake
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Staggy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:30 pm

It's real, they unveiled it before the game.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:36 pm

It does look fake, huh? I think it's the light. But, no I didn't take it; I pulled it from the webz. A replay of the unveiling was shown during the game, and the announcers explained the tradition of honoring teams that way.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby count2infinity on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:40 pm

it looks fake because it's just a decal sort of thing now where the others are all numbers that are actually attached to the wall and stick out.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm

The Snapshot wrote:My god, I cannot have any more respect for another human than I do for O'Brien and Mauti. Two guys who ooze what a football guy is supposed to be. I wish more folks in the corporate world understood how to lead. These guys both get it.

The move to put the names on the shirts this year because they all stuck by PSU was topped only by his move to put Mauti's 42 on every helmet. Teams don't win on talent alone, and there will always be defining moments in games throughout the season. There is no doubt that when things got rough this year there was never a question that every player was pulling hard on the rope together, win or lose.

I still believe they would have won in Nebraska were it not for a travesty of a replay, and they certainly should have beaten Virginia - but I have never been this happy or proud of PSU football. In ONE season, O'Brien made this school more relevant than they have been for two decades under Paterno's staid regime.

I never really liked Joe's whole shtick, and I felt distanced from really engaging with the teams as a result. O'Brien has created a new NFL factory, making PSU Linebacker AND Tight End U. Our Defensive backfield has never been more athletic as well. Receivers and RBs suddenly look like gamebreakers. The OL pushes people around instead of getting pushed around. The D-line dominates. Is it system or talent? Well, these guys were all here last year and there was no way our line play would have measured up against the beef of Nebraska or Wisconsin with Paterno's staff.

Excellent summation. I read something today where on the Monday after the OSU game, they were having a crappy practice and OB walked out on them and told them to fix it themselves. McGloin and Zordich handled the offense while Mauti and Hodges handled the defense and that was just another example of teaching these kids how to be leaders. For all the hand-wringing about OB having no head coaching experience to the BS sanctions to the cowards who transferred, if you had told me in January (or even July) that this team would have a lead in ALL 12 GAMES, I'd have probably lost $100 to you...even though I told some people that I thought they were an 8-4 team (if only I could bet football games with that kind of accuracy on a semi-regular basis). I'm excited and nervous about what the offseason has in store and how OB will restock the cupboard given the scholarship limitations he's now under. But after witnessing this season, I have total confidence in anything he puts together.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cagsjr724 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:My god, I cannot have any more respect for another human than I do for O'Brien and Mauti. Two guys who ooze what a football guy is supposed to be. I wish more folks in the corporate world understood how to lead. These guys both get it.

Excellent summation. I read something today where on the Monday after the OSU game, they were having a crappy practice and OB walked out on them and told them to fix it themselves. McGloin and Zordich handled the offense while Mauti and Hodges handled the defense and that was just another example of teaching these kids how to be leaders. For all the hand-wringing about OB having no head coaching experience to the BS sanctions to the cowards who transferred, if you had told me in January (or even July) that this team would have a lead in ALL 12 GAMES, I'd have probably lost $100 to you...even though I told some people that I thought they were an 8-4 team (if only I could bet football games with that kind of accuracy on a semi-regular basis). I'm excited and nervous about what the offseason has in store and how OB will restock the cupboard given the scholarship limitations he's now under. But after witnessing this season, I have total confidence in anything he puts together.

you took the words right out of my mouth. Could not of said it better myself. WE ARE. PROUD!!
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cagsjr724 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:04 am

Watching the 95 Rose Bowl on the B1G Network. That was a National champion team!! I'm more proud of this team!
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:

Read this article on Bleacher Report this morning, and I thought it was a pretty good reflection of the importance of 2012 to Penn State... the institution, its alumni and the football program.
It wasn't until a few Penn State seniors, who could've rightfully left the team, stepped up and declared their commitment to helping form the foundation for what Penn State will be for the next hundred years.

The moment when Michael Mauti said—"this program was not built by one man, and it sure as hell isn't going to get torn down by one man"—is a moment that will live on as one of the most important moments in Penn State history.

And I have to say there's more than a fair bit of schadenfruede at the fact that Silas Redd won one fewer game this year after jumping ship to USC than Penn State pulled off. (I focus on that transfer, being a SoCal guy who's had it up to *here* with the SC gobbling that goes on in this city)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 am

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Bill O'Brien wrote:I plan on being the head football coach at Penn State. That's my plan and that's what I intend to do.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8684231/agent-bill-obrien-head-coach-penn-state-nittany-lions-quashes-rumors-departure
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:01 pm

The guy's a potential coach of the year, it would be absurd to let him go so soon...... and a real shame if he wanted out.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 pm

PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:05 am

"You guys know me," O'Brien told the radio audience. "You know I'm not a choir boy, but I said 'fighters.' "

haha, love it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 am

I'm glad he reaffirmed his commitment to coaching next year.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

i'd like to see him here for the full 8 years of his contract, but that's probably just me being selfish. He'll eventually go pro, I can almost guarantee it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 am

Well, considering he came from the pro ranks that's probably not a stretch.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

thepittman wrote:I'm glad he reaffirmed his commitment to coaching next year.

My family (all Penn Staters) are glad, too. We've gotten attached quickly to the big lug.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm

It's pretty crazy how absolutely into the game I was Saturday. As a matter of fact, I would say I was more emotionally invested in more games this year than I have been since Michael Robinson was QB. It is amazing (and was predicted by many) how much difference our offense looks with coaching that isn't out of the 1950s.

I mean, seriously. Matt McGloin led the Big Ten in passing yards and TDs.....let that sink in. And it's not like our running game suffered either. Zwinak is a stud.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:It's pretty crazy how absolutely into the game I was Saturday. As a matter of fact, I would say I was more emotionally invested in more games this year than I have been since Michael Robinson was QB. It is amazing (and was predicted by many) how much difference our offense looks with coaching that isn't out of the 1950s.

I mean, seriously. Matt McGloin led the Big Ten in passing yards and TDs.....let that sink in. And it's not like our running game suffered either. Zwinak is a stud.

I totally get this. It was such a great feeling--one neither the hub nor I expected to feel this season.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm

So how good does PSU's victory over Wisconsin look now?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:38 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:So how good does PSU's victory over Wisconsin look now?

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

It would have been nice to pull out the Nebraska game, but that's history now.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm

So Ted Roof takes a coaching job at GT. Do you bring Tom Bradley back?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:19 pm

thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to NHR