French Press

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

French Press

Postby eddysnake on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Need some help deciding: Both get great reviews, IMO the Grosche looks nicer and I'm leaning towards that, but I have no real experience with a french press. anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Grosche Madrid
http://www.amazon.com/GROSCHE-MADRID-Premium-french-capacity/dp/B005MG9DW8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353875488&sr=8-4&keywords=french+press

or

Bodum Brazil
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-French-Coffee-34-Ounce/dp/B005ADS5FO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353875488&sr=8-1&keywords=french+press
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: French Press

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I bought a french press last year and did the same thing you're doing now. For me, it comes down to two components:

1. Capacity. I drink about 4 cups a day, and my wife usually has one or two cups, so 12 ounces does just fine for me. I did find, however, when I have people over and I make coffee, I need to fuss with making several batches. I was ok with leaving my drip maker on the counter, so the 12 cup capacity was just fine.

2. Material. You need to eliminate the plastics right away; if you're using this every day, you will be pouring 200+ degree water into a cold glass beaker and will see small breaks in the plastic construction. Just stay away. The metal cage will wear better, cleans nicely, and handles temperature and moisture well. If you prefer to leave coffee in your press instead of using a separate carafe, you could consider a stainless carafe. I have seen some ceramics, but ceramic is porous and usually not smooth enough to prevent some grounds from escaping your screen.

Based on this, the first one will serve you well. I ended up with a Chambord, which is practically the same thing. Had it almost a year, still in great shape.

The grind is absolutely the most important part of the press. So the real question... what kind of grinder are you going to use?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Factorial on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Or for $12.99 at Ikea:

I think they all would do a good job. Just use good coffee and make it a coarse grind.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I usually have 2 or 3 cups a week on the weekend. I like to enjoy it and the kuerig isn't cutting it. It's been a while since I've grinded my own beans, had some market district Sumatra in a press over the weekend & really liked it. Next step would be a grinder and beans or just stick with something already grinded
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Nothing beats a good cup of pressed coffee. I struggle with the amount of water to put into it, as I rarely make an entire pot of French press.

I got the press that comes up on Woot! from time to time. It was $15 and does the trick. My sister-in-law has the Ikea one above, and it works well.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:57 pm

French press is bad for your cholesterol
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:French press is bad for your cholesterol

wat?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:01 pm

In unfiltered brewing methods, including French press, boiled methods such as Turkish coffee, and espresso, the oils remain in your coffee. It gives better flavor, but also leaves all the cafestol in it, so your cholestorol gets the full impact. (Note, in Scandanavia, where they first noticed the cafestol effect, the typical coffee brewing method is a boiled method). Cafetol is highest in Turkish coffee type brews, next highest is French press, followed by espresso.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 pm

meh... i like the taste of French Press better and I only use it on the weekends. I'm sure it can't be too much cholesterol.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:23 pm

One study found that 10 milligrams of cafestol (or four 5-ounce cups of French-press coffee) may raise cholesterol by 8 to 10 percent in four weeks.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:26 pm

As for the coffee to put in your french press, I've ordered from these guys and the coffee is good at good prices:

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/

I'm thinking about getting the 25lb (whole or ground) sack which has free shipping. Just need to get some airtight storage bins to keep it fresh.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:One study found that 10 milligrams of cafestol (or four 5-ounce cups of French-press coffee) may raise cholesterol by 8 to 10 percent in four weeks.

Thanks for the tip....will avoid
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Factorial wrote:As for the coffee to put in your french press, I've ordered from these guys and the coffee is good at good prices:

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/

I'm thinking about getting the 25lb (whole or ground) sack which has free shipping. Just need to get some airtight storage bins to keep it fresh.

this can be just as important... strike that, more important than the press you get. I'm lucky that there's a shop in downtown SC that roasts their own stuff. It's great.

Letang Is The Truth wrote:One study found that 10 milligrams of cafestol (or four 5-ounce cups of French-press coffee) may raise cholesterol by 8 to 10 percent in four weeks.

Another study found that you'd have to drink 5 cups of french press coffee a day for a month to see a 6-8% increase in cholesterol levels. French press in most cases is not something you make and drink throughout the day. It's more likely a special occasions thing for most people, or maybe that's just me.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Whole thread is light in the loafers. Man up. Coffee comes from urns.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bh on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:54 pm

I have the bodum brazil, 34 oz and I love it. The carafe breaks very easily however. From bodom they are expensive to replace but I found that that ikea one fits it very well and it's only 12 dollars.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:56 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Whole thread is light in the loafers. Man up. Coffee comes from urns.

Thanks, Joe Friday. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:03 pm

columbia wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Whole thread is light in the loafers. Man up. Coffee comes from urns.

Thanks, Joe Friday. :pop:

More like Ron Swanson. :)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to NHR