Online data backup services?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Online data backup services?

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm ditching my external HD backup and going with something like iCloud, except I have a PC. The auto-sync software scares me. Googling brings up lots of different services - Carbonite, Dropbox, etc. Seems they vary in price, but $50-100/yr is the ballpark. Anyone have experience/recommendations with a service they use?
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Online data backup services?

Postby npv708 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 pm

The popular ones are Skydrive (Microsoft) Drive (Google), Dropbox. I've used the free storage on both Skydrive and Drive as well as iCloud. I actually like Skydrive, but no real reason other than simple interface and backup.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:18 pm

npv708 wrote:The popular ones are Skydrive (Microsoft) Drive (Google), Dropbox. I've used the free storage on both Skydrive and Drive as well as iCloud. I actually like Skydrive, but no real reason other than simple interface and backup.

Thanks. I'm also wondering about how secure these services are. I mean, it's one thing to store pics and music there, but what if you have sensitive personal financial info/passwords, etc. Are these things encrypted? I suppose anything is susceptible to hacking...
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 pm

For disaster-proofing, they say you should have the original and at least two backups in different media and at least one should be in an offsite location. So for important stuff like photos, digital copies of crucial docs (mortgage, wills, insurance policies, etc) we put those on a shared network drive, on DVDs, and to the cloud.

We use Carbonite for cloud backup, and it's pretty good. The only bummy thing is you can't backup a network drive on the basic plan. So I have to take an intermediate step and mirror the network drive on a dedicated internal drive in my PC which then can be backed up to Carbonite.

Also have Dropbox and Google drive accounts that are for frequent-use files.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

tifosi77 wrote:We use Carbonite for cloud backup, and it's pretty good.

And you thought all those hours listened to conservative talk radio wouldn't pay off...
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 am

Actually used a Howad Stern promo code, so neener neener to you. :P
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 am

Ben Klingston wrote:
npv708 wrote:The popular ones are Skydrive (Microsoft) Drive (Google), Dropbox. I've used the free storage on both Skydrive and Drive as well as iCloud. I actually like Skydrive, but no real reason other than simple interface and backup.

Thanks. I'm also wondering about how secure these services are. I mean, it's one thing to store pics and music there, but what if you have sensitive personal financial info/passwords, etc. Are these things encrypted? I suppose anything is susceptible to hacking...

Encrypt PRIOR to storing files with one of these services.

Do NOT rely on them to provide the appropriate security.

If we're talking about photo's and music, meh... But of you're also backing up financial records and tax returns... Assume that the data will eventually fall into the wrong hands...

Can you think of a "higher profile target" than one of these services? Imagine if you're a former disgruntaled employee, or if you're a hacker who's skilled enough to coordinate a 'spear phishing' attack... What a treasure trove.

(Edit to correct spelling of you're)
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 am

how much data are you backing up?

I could never back my stuff up like this - maybe just a few documents and such, but with comcast's bandwidth restrictions it would take me 32 months
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I have about 130 gigs of data backed up to Carbonite. When I set up the account, we were on a cable connection that had slow-ish upload speeds (~ 1 Mbs, iirc). It took me about six or seven days of my computer running 24/7 to get all that transferred. The good news is that once you get that first blast taken care of, it automatically updates in the background when files are changed or new files added to a designated folder location, and it's pretty transparent. I recently transferred a poop ton of photos from the Miramar airshow (~2,000 images), and by the time they finished copying off my SD card they had already been backed up to Carbonite.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Encrypt PRIOR to storing files with one of these services.

Do NOT rely on them to provide the appropriate security.

If we're talking about photo's and music, meh... But of you're also backing up financial records and tax returns... Assume that the data will eventually fall into the wrong hands...

Can you recommend a good encryption system/service?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Can you recommend a good encryption system/service?

I would listen to whatever EPP recommends as I think this is his thing, as a suggestion however, I use truecrypt and it seems to do a good job as far as I am aware.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scb147 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:33 pm

I use and recommend Crashplan. I switched to it when Mozy went from unlimited to a tier plans.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 pm

bh wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Can you recommend a good encryption system/service?

I would listen to whatever EPP recommends as I think this is his thing, as a suggestion however, I use truecrypt and it seems to do a good job as far as I am aware.

TrueCrypt is one of the most respected and one that I totally endorse.

Here's one of the best articles written on the subject that I've read:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to- ... the-cloud/
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for that, some useful info there.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR