LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:16 pm

So, about that Marco Rubio quote.... :wink:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Marco who?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Gaucho wrote:Marco who?

Polo
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 pm

So did he really visit China or was he a fraud?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:So did he really visit China or was he a fraud?

I don't know about China, but I visited his airport in Vienice and it was nice :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Agreed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Well, I hate his airport in Miami. Es un hueco.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,864
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 pm

MWB wrote:A course on world religions should be required for high schoolers. A basic outline of the religion and its tenets.

I knew by the time I was in 4th grade that the answers provided by religion didn't pass my sniff test. But I'm still hugely interested in religion, as few things have influenced human history in the last couple thousand years as much as religion. Food, art, music, culture, philosophy...... religion is everywhere. As such, I think it would have been awesome to have the opportunity to see world religions presented in an academic/secular/philosophical context. (Especially at that younger age.) In my personal opinion, that's the proper context for religion in the 21st century, ymmv.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,084
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby steelhammer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:37 am

Image
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,276
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:05 am

What's going on in Egypt?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,681
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:10 am

thehockeyguru wrote:What's going on in Egypt?

Seems the Arab spring replaced a military dictator with an Islamist dictator
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/23 ... ew-powers/
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,752
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 am

Geezer wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:What's going on in Egypt?

Seems the Arab spring replaced a military dictator with an Islamist dictator
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/23 ... ew-powers/


So the government that replaced the corrupt one is just as corrupt?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,681
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:22 am

Raise your hand if you predicted an Islamic, Saudi-style theocracy in Egypt.

Kudos to the activists that are continuing to take the fight to the Brotherhood, risking their own lives in the process. That being said, I find it quite sad that 52% of the country voted for an Islamist candidate that would likely try and set up a strict, authoritarian government after he was elected. Shafik probably wouldn't have been better, but at least he leaned secular.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,557
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Revolutions take several years to run their course, and often have swings, sometimes violent, during that time. Way to early to be passing judgment on the success or failure of the Arab Spring.

Is Morsi planning on grabbing power in order to set up another authoritarian regime, or is he merely trying to neutralize the Mubarak-packed judiciary in order to keep reforms alive? We'll see. But if it's the former, I wouldn't discount the Egyptian military intervining at some point.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,864
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:37 pm

steelhammer wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Funny, but from an economics standpoint, you might as well be comparing a washing machine to a slice of bacon.

The global economy in 1960 was radically different than today. You bring back 91% tax rates in this economy and you'll start a 'brain drain' global flight of talent out of the US that would be unprecedented.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Ossa on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:49 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
steelhammer wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Funny, but from an economics standpoint, you might as well be comparing a washing machine to a slice of bacon.

The global economy in 1960 was radically different than today. You bring back 91% tax rates in this economy and you'll start a 'brain drain' global flight of talent out of the US that would be unprecedented.


http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/didnt-we-u ... rosperity/
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Ossa wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
steelhammer wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Funny, but from an economics standpoint, you might as well be comparing a washing machine to a slice of bacon.

The global economy in 1960 was radically different than today. You bring back 91% tax rates in this economy and you'll start a 'brain drain' global flight of talent out of the US that would be unprecedented.


http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/didnt-we-u ... rosperity/

:thumb:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby bh on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:05 pm

People think we have problems in this county...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... empts.html
Such a shame.
I just can't fathom that this place is just on the other side of our border and that this violence is in large part due to our failed war on drugs and it's policies.
Just end the nonsense already.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,605
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

bh wrote:People think we have problems in this county...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... empts.html
Such a shame.
I just can't fathom that this place is just on the other side of our border and that this violence is in large part due to our failed war on drugs and it's policies.
Just end the nonsense already.


Just out of curiosity, why is this our fault? These drug gang wars have been fought entirely in Mexico. It's not like we govern Mexico.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,681
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Because the demand comes from across the border, and without that demand, the cartels would have nothing to fight about. That doesn't mske it exactly "your fault", of course.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
bh wrote:People think we have problems in this county...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... empts.html
Such a shame.
I just can't fathom that this place is just on the other side of our border and that this violence is in large part due to our failed war on drugs and it's policies.
Just end the nonsense already.


Just out of curiosity, why is this our fault? These drug gang wars have been fought entirely in Mexico. It's not like we govern Mexico.

Demand side.

Personally, I believe that if federal laws were changed to reflect the current Colorado and Washington state laws, things would change, at least with respect to marijuana. (how many gang related killings do we see over tobacco (cigars) ) ?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:16 pm

I still say you have to legalize all drugs. Better to let people make bad choices than having to put up with the cartels.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:21 pm

If it were legal, they'd still be fighting over it (IMO, not sure what the difference would be)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,681
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:If it were legal, they'd still be fighting over it (IMO, not sure what the difference would be)


Who would be fighting over it? CVS vs Walgreens?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,918
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:If it were legal, they'd still be fighting over it (IMO, not sure what the difference would be)

No black market
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Loaf31 and 8 guests


e-mail