Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby offsides on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Sarcastic wrote:tomorrow 5:10am pacific - Spec Ops: The line for $15. $40 now.

I enjoyed this game a lot and paid a lot more than $15. I'll give it two thumbs up. :thumb: :thumb:
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 pm

I may get the new Hitman if it doesn't play like Max Payne that just came out
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:55 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Canaan...is this you? ;)
http://m.kotaku.com/5962685/the-most-ex ... owave-oven

What the
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 pm

canaan wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Canaan...is this you? ;)
http://m.kotaku.com/5962685/the-most-ex ... owave-oven

What the

It probably runs faster now that it's melted.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I got some games I've been meaning to buy for a while.

Sly Cooper Collection
Jax & Dexter Collection
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Spec Ops: The Line
Dead Island GOTY
Dishonored
Inversion

I don't know when I'll get to actually play these. The collections have 3 games each. I only played the first Sly game. I need to figure out how to stop time and just play games for 6 months.

I played Dead Island for about an hour and a half a while ago and I liked it. I wanted to see what happens next.

Very cautious about Dishonored from the moment I noticed the uneventful combat, like the ninjas that appear/disappear and showcase no fighting ability whatsoever or guys you can just blow away with one shot, the sneaking around that have you walk out into the middle of street in broad daylight and have those morons somehow not notice you, and realized the game is put out by Bethesda, my least favorite publisher. But the graphics seem nice and the exploration could be cool. From all reviews I read, do not hurry to the next quest. Take your time and look around the city. Just my observations and, I admit, I have not played it, so I could be totally wrong.

I am hoping that Inversion will be like Bionic Commando. Game with low scores that had me fall in love with it. I think I mentioned I played it 2, probably 3, times in a row. Inversion is likened to Gears of War and looks good to me. Nice graphics. Combat seems great. For $20, I'll give it a try.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:31 pm

start with ratchet&clank...some of my favorite games of all time.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Spangler wrote:During that boss fight, I had trouble with the angel and devil mode. Took me like 5 tries to remember which one was the devil version to break the harness things.

I've only used R1 to roll, so I don't know about L1. In past DMCs you could slowly move forward and back while shooting. The pistols are meant to juggle the enemies, so I don't move around too much with them.

I never played any other DMC before, so I can't compare. But I totally agree. I not only would forget which one is which (R2/L2), but also I didn't know when to use either. Is angel or devil mode better against particular bad guys? I have no clue. Maybe it will be explained in the instructions.

I looked things up on a forum. Apparently,

1. you can't run and shoot
2. you can't lock onto a single enemy while shooting, so you basically spray it and hope it hits the target - i remember i had to physically move left or right to get the aim right which is total BS
3. you can't, for example, double tap R2 or L2 and have the devil or angel mode stick. you have to keep the buttons pressed the whole time if you want to use either. i don't like that.

you can also click on other discussions for the game on the bottom

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/64697893
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:45 pm

canaan wrote:start with ratchet&clank...some of my favorite games of all time.

I will take that under strong consideration because I know those games are awesome. :P
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Sarcastic wrote: I never played any other DMC before, so I can't compare. But I totally agree. I not only would forget which one is which (R2/L2), but also I didn't know when to use either. Is angel or devil mode better against particular bad guys? I have no clue. Maybe it will be explained in the instructions.

I looked things up on a forum. Apparently,

1. you can't run and shoot
2. you can't lock onto a single enemy while shooting, so you basically spray it and hope it hits the target - i remember i had to physically move left or right to get the aim right which is total BS
3. you can't, for example, double tap R2 or L2 and have the devil or angel mode stick. you have to keep the buttons pressed the whole time if you want to use either. i don't like that.

you can also click on other discussions for the game on the bottom

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/64697893

Was reading other topics and found out there isn't anymore "jump canceling" in the game, which is a big deal.

Jump canceling was a glitch-like mechanic that let you jump on top of an enemy to cancel any step of an attack. This let you start a new attack. It was an intended mechanic by the developers, so it wasn't cheating. It allowed you to do some insane combos, which added a higher degree of skill and expanded your options. It wasn't easy to master.

It's partly the reason why I really don't like the fighting in God of War, and much prefer DMC's combat. In GoW, you could spam one attack, and had no reason to use anything else. In DMC you were rewarded for doing difficult combos, while also giving you more variation in attack options.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:46 pm

This was one of my favorite videos on youtube. It showcases what you could do with the jump canceling mechanic.

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 pm

GTA Vice City Stories. Pretty good, still don't know if it's as fun as GTA 3 or the first Vice City.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Playing Blaster Master on my Linux box using an NES emulator. It's nice to be able to do things like quickload/quicksave.

It amazing how well this game holds up for being 24 years old (released June 17, 1988!). The music is still catchy, and game mechanics are great, and the level design still stands up. I just entered section 4, which requires going the whole way back to the beginning point and then using the hover boost (obtainable in section 3) to boost up to a series of platforms. This was one of the first games I can remember to feature non-linear level designs like that.

Anyone who has never played Blaster Master should download an emulator and the ROM and play this game.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Picked up Hitman today. Looking forward to playing it.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby the wicked child on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:58 pm

I think I'm around 77% now on Lego LOTR... Closed out all but 1 level of FOTR.. waiting on that one because there are a couple minikit pieces that could be annoying.

One thing that I don't like about this game is that it seems to do a poor job of selecting the default characters for Free Play. Yes, you can still change to anyone, but it takes longer. One thing that is different than previous games is that with all of the Items you collect, pretty much any character can perform any action if equipped properly. That said, it takes every bit as long to pull something out of the treasure screen as it does to select the character with that power, if not longer.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Spangler wrote:This was one of my favorite videos on youtube. It showcases what you could do with the jump canceling mechanic.

That's pretty wild. Yeah, if you're a fan of all that mayhem and won't be able to do just that in the new one, I can see your disappointment.

If there is a demo for DMC 3, I'll d/l it today. Looks fun.

And I can't not mention the background music by one of my favorite groups with, for sure, a top-3 current metal guitar virtuoso who's also one of the best composers in music. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Anyone get FIFA 13? I've been playing 12 a little bit over the past couple of weeks. I'll probably get '13 when I'm off around Christmas.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Kraftster wrote:Anyone get FIFA 13? I've been playing 12 a little bit over the past couple of weeks. I'll probably get '13 when I'm off around Christmas.

I tried playing it. I couldn't kick the ball straight. 95% of the time it went right over the goal. :?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Anyone get FIFA 13? I've been playing 12 a little bit over the past couple of weeks. I'll probably get '13 when I'm off around Christmas.

I tried playing it. I couldn't kick the ball straight. 95% of the time it went right over the goal. :?

You're probably holding the shoot button too long (and as a consequence, putting too much power into it).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

You're probably holding the shoot button too long (and as a consequence, putting too much power into it).

Yeah, I think I figured that out, but EVEN when I knew what was happening, the time between the button click and the ball going into the sky was so short, it didn't make a difference.

Can you guys pick corners and generally aim with any rate of success?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:31 pm

I rarely do a basic O button shot. Typically L2 + O (low line-drive shot), R1 + O (finesse shot), or L1 + O (lob shot). Harder to pike those types of shots.

I still struggle mightily with byline crosses.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm

I did try those other shots. I still couldn't aim right. I spent a lot of time on it, too, it wasn't like I gave up quickly. The game look fun, especially for multiplayer. If I could get a grasp on how to shoot right, maybe I'd buy it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Its a very fun multiplayer game, I think.

The other thing to consider with shooting is that body position plays a part. If you are leaning away with the ball on your non-dominant foot, its going to be a weak shot or likely to be off target. Getting centered over the ball and in a position where you could actually successfully shoot as you are attempting to shoot is helpful.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Makes sense, but that sounds even more difficult in the middle of a game. I remember the ball getting away from me while simply running with it. Sounds like there is a large learning curve. I'm not sure why they would make it this complicated.

I'll keep it in mind and maybe d/l the demo.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:59 pm

If you guys aren't playing this one, you're really missing out.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 pm

FIFA 13 didn't feel right when I played a game against my buddy. I don't really know how to explain it either, but I just didn't have fun playing it at all.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR