Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Spangler on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Sarcastic wrote:That's pretty wild. Yeah, if you're a fan of all that mayhem and won't be able to do just that in the new one, I can see your disappointment.

If there is a demo for DMC 3, I'll d/l it today. Looks fun.

And I can't not mention the background music by one of my favorite groups with, for sure, a top-3 current metal guitar virtuoso who's also one of the best composers in music. :)

There's no demo that I'm aware of, but I think there is a DMC collection for PS3.

I warn you though, DMC 3 is insanely hard. It's Ninja Gaiden hard. A lot of it has to do with the game not scaling well with the setup of your character at the start of the game.

There are easier difficulties, but I can't, in good conscious, play any game below normal difficulty.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm

So none of the Lego games have mouse support for the PC? I've got Star Wars: The Complete Series and the new Lord of the Rings, and it's difficult to use the keyboard. Fortunately, I have a gamepad (from my PC NHL series days), which is great for the Lego games. I have a feeling the games were console ports that natively wouldn't have mouse support anyway.

Is there a way for Windows 7 to recognize two gamepads? I remember trying to get any Windows product to detect two separate game controllers was impossible - but I haven't tried it lately (and back then, it was with a joystick and a gamepad, not two gamepads).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Loaf31 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:59 pm

I love FIFA13, sports game of the year for me. Just finished my first season as Liverpool in MM, getting ready to head into the summer transfer window.

I love the scouting, got a kid from Brazil who is a 70 already, and only 16 yrs old. Since Real Madrid didn't want to sell me Sahin after his loan was over, this young kid will do well for me.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Loaf31 wrote:I love FIFA13, sports game of the year for me. Just finished my first season as Liverpool in MM, getting ready to head into the summer transfer window.

I love the scouting, got a kid from Brazil who is a 70 already, and only 16 yrs old. Since Real Madrid didn't want to sell me Sahin after his loan was over, this young kid will do well for me.

Great to hear, I was hoping you'd catch my post - figured you got it.

I have been playing with the Portland Timbers in 12, focusing on scouting and trying to really push my young guys and play them a lot since the roster sucks anyway. I am going to try to sim at some point just to see what the progression is like. I've never gotten far enough to see prospects who enter the game turn into the stars -- the game takes forever to sim, so its hard to get too far into the future. I think the fifth year is the furthest I've got, which isn't really far enough to see how they turn out.

The thing that I am so puzzled by and hate in FIFA 12 is that other teams (cpu) do not seem to have a youth academy and youngsters that they call up. In the MM mode where I got five years in, if I did a search for 17-19 age players, it was basically only my players who I scouted, signed and sold to other teams. I really hope this was changed -- any evidence of this being fixed?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:I love FIFA13, sports game of the year for me. Just finished my first season as Liverpool in MM, getting ready to head into the summer transfer window.

I have been playing with the Portland Timbers in 12, focusing on scouting and trying to really push my young guys and play them a lot since the roster sucks anyway. I am going to try to sim at some point just to see what the progression is like. I've never gotten far enough to see prospects who enter the game turn into the stars -- the game takes forever to sim, so its hard to get too far into the future. I think the fifth year is the furthest I've got, which isn't really far enough to see how they turn out.

The thing that I am so puzzled by and hate in FIFA 12 is that other teams (cpu) do not seem to have a youth academy and youngsters that they call up. In the MM mode where I got five years in, if I did a search for 17-19 age players, it was basically only my players who I scouted, signed and sold to other teams. I really hope this was changed -- any evidence of this being fixed?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I believe that it has. It seems as though the CPU has put alot of emphasis on younger players. I know that I have lost a lot of my scouted players that I didn't sign. I also know that in the transfers, your CEO will give you tips, and if you try to transfer a younger guy who is on a club, you will have to overpay big time.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm

I know Borderlands 2 is a good game but is it a good single player game or is the multi-player what carries the game?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Loaf31 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

I don't have an answer to your question, but I believe that it has. It seems as though the CPU has put alot of emphasis on younger players. I know that I have lost a lot of my scouted players that I didn't sign. I also know that in the transfers, your CEO will give you tips, and if you try to transfer a younger guy who is on a club, you will have to overpay big time.

D'oh. There goes my MM strategy, haha.

I hope they make loans more viable too. The majority of guys that you sign out of your youth academy are in the 55-60 range right off the bat, which seems to be too low for other teams to be interested in their services. I often get stuck with a reserve roster full of ~55 overall players with decent potential who can never play for me or anyone else. Either make teams want such players or increase the overall that young guys begin at.

Lastly, I'd love to see them be a bit more forgiving on player ratings/form. If I'm playing as Norwich and I draw with Man U, my guys played a damn good game and should be given higher scores given the difficulty of the competition, since ratings play such a big part in the progression of young players.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm

The form/ratings change with every game. It is awesome this year.

The loans are more viable this year. I have loaned out many players in the 55ish range. The nice thing is you can check their progress and stats anytime you want in the Squad report
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:33 pm

ajh2298 wrote:I know Borderlands 2 is a good game but is it a good single player game or is the multi-player what carries the game?

It's mostly a single player game. You can also quest with other people. Buy if you want to immerse yourself for weeks or a couple months and if you like a shooter where it's just fun to tear baddies to pieces. :thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Dishonored came today, I played for a little bit and I must say that I have enjoyed it so far.

Looking like a good $25 spent
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spangler on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm waiting for Skyrim to come in the mail, so fortunately I just remembered to ask something before I play.

I've played Oblivion and am well aware of how to build a character.

Is there anything I should know, in regards to leveling my character, that I would overlook in Skyrim? I know in Oblivion if you leveled up your character too early, it would make the game undesirably more challenging.

Any other warnings would be appreciated.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Skyrim is the opposite. The level of gameplay gets obscenely easy once you level up your character and improve your gear
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Skyrim is the opposite. The level of gameplay gets obscenely easy once you level up your character and improve your gear

Yea once my character was beefed up there was nothing in Skyrim that could phase my character.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Skyrim is the opposite. The level of gameplay gets obscenely easy once you level up your character and improve your gear

yeah, I remember being able to 1 hit giants by the time I stopped playing it... I think I was using the Daedric Dagger and I had all the smithing perks and ****
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby canaan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 am

im about 98% complete on New Super Mario Bros. U. I have a couple of superstar road coins left to get.

The level "Run for it" is absolutely devious.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 am

85% now in Lego LOTR. I have under 50 mithril bricks to go... I'd guess about 15 or so are of getting the rest of the stuff on the stages and the rest are either for side quests or finding them around Middle Earth. I have most of the red bricks now. I have all but 2 characters, but both essentially require 100% to unlock. I think I have 3 blacksmith designs left to find... all are in stages I believe.

There always have to be a few mini-kits that are a pain in the ass to get ahold of... one of these is when you're running from Shelob. There are 3 piles of skulls that you have to run over. Unfortunately, if you miss one, you have to replay the whole damn stage and it is naturally at the very end of it.

One annoying aspect of this game is that in most places you cannot go in the water at all. Your character immediately starts struggling and you have to tap the jump button to get out. Unfortunately, it returns you to the last solid ground you were on. So if you were trying to make your way across a series of platforms, you get to start over. There are a couple bricks in the Dead marshes that can be tedious to get due to this depending on how accurate your jumping is.

I'm purposely avoiding 2 or 3 bricks in ME for now due to the fact that they require time to navigate through a series of obstacles and if you miss, you have to redo the entire sequence. There is one deep in Rivendell where you have to walk up a huge hill, climb a wall as Gollum, then switch to legolas and go acrobat across a few platforms until you are ultimately supposed to jump out and grab a rope... but I can't get ahold of the rope for some reason. There is another on Mount Doom that requires you to navigate all kinds of obstacles, switching characters several times. Any fall and you find yourself at the bottom again.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 am

I was playing Lego Star Wars III last night and I'm still trying to finish up the Seperatist and Republic assult missions. Like I said, there are 32. The first 5 took me like 4 hours. Then I realized that when I did the first one, my red brick cheats were shut off because when you do the bounty hunter missions they automatically shut off. So I assumed it did the same for these missions.

They are very redundant and I figured it would take me forever to complete all 32, but with my OCD, I wanted 100%. But I did one other mission and turned on the cheats, and then went on to do a Seperatist mission. That's when I realized you can use the cheats. So while it took me 4 hours to do 5 missions, it now only took me 2 hours to do 19 missions. Which is a relief. I only have 7 more of these to go and then I get to go through 15 of the 17 story boards to find the minikits, which I think is atually fun. I'm up to 80% complete and it's a relieft that I can now just fly through these ground missions. I'll probably finish that up tonight in about an hour and then just collect the minikits to wrap up the game over the rest of the week.

Can't wait to get this game done. While it's not as bad as I originally thought, it is still one of my least favorite. I just want to move on. Lego Batman 2 or Metroid Other M is next on the list.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Spangler wrote:I'm waiting for Skyrim to come in the mail, so fortunately I just remembered to ask something before I play.

I've played Oblivion and am well aware of how to build a character.

Is there anything I should know, in regards to leveling my character, that I would overlook in Skyrim? I know in Oblivion if you leveled up your character too early, it would make the game undesirably more challenging.

Any other warnings would be appreciated.

i'm going to give you this warning. as of the last time i played (i traded it in after the ps3 DLC fiasco started) there IS a cheat to get a max level character in a matter of a couple hours of game time. RESIST THE URGE TO SEEK IT OUT! IT WILL RUIN THE GAME!
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the errey i breathe on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

I hope they make loans more viable too. The majority of guys that you sign out of your youth academy are in the 55-60 range right off the bat, which seems to be too low for other teams to be interested in their services. I often get stuck with a reserve roster full of ~55 overall players with decent potential who can never play for me or anyone else. Either make teams want such players or increase the overall that young guys begin at.

Lastly, I'd love to see them be a bit more forgiving on player ratings/form. If I'm playing as Norwich and I draw with Man U, my guys played a damn good game and should be given higher scores given the difficulty of the competition, since ratings play such a big part in the progression of young players.

you may already know this but fifafanatic has a list of younger players and their potential. Its a great tool for starting out with a lower level club and making good signings. My Milan roster is LOADED right now to the point that I'm going to start a new one. Pato 88, El Sharaawy 86, Neymar 89, Jovetic 88, Gotze 88, Nocerino 85, Montolivo 85, Abate 85 and then a bunch of highly rated 17 y.o on the back line and in goal (all around 70ish). I end up playing funky formations to keep everyone happy.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Just started up Medal of Honor Warfighter last week. Really good stuff, insane graphics. Hope the campaign lives up.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:10 pm

the errey i breathe wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

you may already know this but fifafanatic has a list of younger players and their potential. Its a great tool for starting out with a lower level club and making good signings. My Milan roster is LOADED right now to the point that I'm going to start a new one. Pato 88, El Sharaawy 86, Neymar 89, Jovetic 88, Gotze 88, Nocerino 85, Montolivo 85, Abate 85 and then a bunch of highly rated 17 y.o on the back line and in goal (all around 70ish). I end up playing funky formations to keep everyone happy.

Yep, I consult with that often. I wish progression was more responsive to performance, though and less fixed -- at least less fixed than it seems to be from my experience. It's definitely a nice tool, though, because I always start with a weak club and make my way up.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:05 pm

just bought halo 4. i haven't played a video game for a year and a half except a couple weeks of tiger's masters game. highly rated PES games didn't entice me and if halo 4 and GTA V can't get me back in then, well
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Up to 93.3% in Lego LOTR. 15 mini-kit pieces and 25 mithril bricks to go. A few stray treasures on some stages as well. Have 3 items left to forge.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

100% on Mario U. NAN is jelly of my thumbs.

edit: 100% storyline mode. not time trials or anything like that. thats the next task. those challenges are on another level.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am

Spoiler:

This must be how you feel canaan.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR