Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:A while back people were asking how The Hobbit at 48fps will look. This is sort of what it will look like:

original file at 24fps: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-Original.mkv

high frame rate file: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-InterFrame.mkv

are those geico commercials where the dude is on the motorcycle, covered in money filmed at a higher frame rate? something's funky about how those commercials look
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am

shmenguin wrote:
are those geico commercials where the dude is on the motorcycle, covered in money filmed at a higher frame rate? something's funky about how those commercials look

Not familiar with it but very possibly. This is why soap operas look the way they do on your tv. They are actually filmed at higher rates than normal programming.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am

eddysnake wrote:Life Force was crazy awesome, no problems with that vampire alien chick walking around naked for most of the movie.

That woman had a profound impact on my teenage years.

pittsoccer33 wrote:A while back people were asking how The Hobbit at 48fps will look. This is sort of what it will look like:

original file at 24fps: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-Original.mkv

high frame rate file: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-InterFrame.mkv

Wow, that's actually kind of amazing. The higher frame rate gives it an almost 3D look without causing the shift in focal point that '3D' necessitates.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 pm

That was at 60fps instead of 48, so 2.5 times as many frames instead of just twice as many. But it is a good indication of what a higher frame right will look like. I doubt anyone has their PC monitor and video card set to 48hz. 60hz is the default for most tvs and pc monitors.

That is also exactly what the 120hz and 240hz tvs attempt to do when you enable settings like Auto Motion Plus or Tru Motion on them.

Since my tv does not have a 24p mode, I've screwed around using an htpc program called Smooth Video Project to convert 24fps to 60fps on the fly.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm

I have an awesome girlfriend. The other night, we watched Gymkata & The Story of Ricky, and she loved both. you have no idea how important it is to me that my significant other enjoys the movie Gymkata.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 pm

did you guys watch the incredible bulk together?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 pm

canaan wrote:did you guys watch the incredible bulk together?

Yep
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Froggy wrote:
canaan wrote:did you guys watch the incredible bulk together?

Yep

solid. shes a keeper. my wife wouldve walked out of the room and called me some very specific, non-board friendly things.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Froggy wrote:I have an awesome girlfriend. The other night, we watched Gymkata & The Story of Ricky, and she loved both. you have no idea how important it is to me that my significant other enjoys the movie Gymkata.

what about troll 2? that has to be your top priority
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:I have an awesome girlfriend. The other night, we watched Gymkata & The Story of Ricky, and she loved both. you have no idea how important it is to me that my significant other enjoys the movie Gymkata.

what about troll 2? that has to be your top priority

she liked Troll 2, too. but Gymkata is a different kind of bad. Troll 2 gets you confused about technical aspects like writing and acting. Gymkata gets you confused about things like, "if this country is in western asia, why does the king look like walter matthau, and his daughter is asian, and his top advisor is australian?" "why do you need a ninja to hold a flag showing the race boundaries?" things like that. it's much easier to dismiss a movie like Gymkata
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:20 pm

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm

'The Sessions' was good. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I was actively engaged the whole time watching. John Hawkes was really solid in it. Helen Hunt's boston accent (or lack thereof) got kind of distracting at times, which is too bad, since she was good aside from that. For some reason IMDb only lists it as a "Drama" which is strange as there are quite a few funny moments in it, and I never felt it get too too heavy, at least not enough to merit a pure drama genre.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm

So reading up on Gymkata, what are the features that make it more impressive than regular karate. I can't seem to grasp what elements of gymnastics that would enhance karate. All I can think of is a faster, more agile karate.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 pm

meecrofilm wrote:'The Sessions' was good. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I was actively engaged the whole time watching. John Hawkes was really solid in it. Helen Hunt's boston accent (or lack thereof) got kind of distracting at times, which is too bad, since she was good aside from that. For some reason IMDb only lists it as a "Drama" which is strange as there are quite a few funny moments in it, and I never felt it get too too heavy, at least not enough to merit a pure drama genre.

never heard of this until last night when it was a preview for Ruby Sparks. Looked good, is this in theaters or dvd now?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm

It's at Squirell Hill, Waterworks, and the Waterfront at the moment. Just came out a couple weeks ago I believe. I highly doubt it'll expand out to more theatres though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

So reading up on Gymkata, what are the features that make it more impressive than regular karate. I can't seem to grasp what elements of gymnastics that would enhance karate. All I can think of is a faster, more agile karate.

You Have to imagine a world where parallel bars and pommel horses randomly exist in town squares, and where ninjas and lunatics wait one at a time to attack you
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Gymkata sounds like my kind of bad movie (see: Double Dragon). Will definitely have to check this one down the road whenever I get the time.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Froggy wrote: You Have to imagine a world where parallel bars and pommel horses randomly exist in town squares, and where ninjas and lunatics wait one at a time to attack you

and with that description it just went to #1 on my netflix queue. Thank you.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Froggy wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

You Have to imagine a world where parallel bars and pommel horses randomly exist in town squares, and where ninjas and lunatics wait one at a time to attack you

Are there really pommel horse like structures in the town square? I will concede that a gymnast would definitely have some sort of an advantage if the battle were staged in a playground come to think of it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Yeah, there is literally a scene where he fights off a mob of cannibalistic lunatics by doing a pommel horse routine in the middle of a town square.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Beware of beckoning monks wearing backless robes
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

viva la ben wrote:Beware of beckoning monks wearing backless robes

my absolute favorite part is towards the middle of the movie, he is being chased by some guys, and there is a bar just above the street. so he jumps up and starts swinging, and kicks a guy in the face. then he keeps swinging and kicks another guy in the face. then a random dude on a bicycle comes around, and he kicks HIM in the face too.

edit: skip to 21:20
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 pm

im just about to give prometheus a run. ill report back.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm

gymkata > prometheus
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR