POLL: Christmas Trees

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How Does Your Family Get One?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:02 am

Cut Your Own From a Farm
8%
From a Pre-Cut Lot
18%
From a Box in the Attic
60%
Bah Humbug! I Don't Observe Xmas
10%
Dig a Tree and Replant it After the Season
4%

Total votes : 50

Re: POLL: Christmas Trees

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 pm

BigMcK wrote:At work, we have an artificial 6' 'Holiday Tree' (happy phone call from HR regarding the use of the "C" word forced the change), .

:face: Unbelievable.

Well no, actually completely believable
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 am

I have yet to meet someone that didn't/doesn't celebrate Christmas state that the word Christmas Tree bothered them at all. In fact, I have yet to meet anyone that gets angry at the use of Merry Christmas. It blows my mind that people are so thin skinned/eager to make a quick buck because they feel "infringed" upon. If there is no malice behind the use of words (examples: Merry Christmas to a Jewish person or Happy Hanukkah to a Christian or what have you) then there should not be any issues. I don't snap and cry foul when someone tells me "God Bless" or equivalent. Annoying really.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:47 am

my fiancee bought some sticks that hang on the tree to make it smell real. my allergies are suffering very badly.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am

Rylan wrote:I have yet to meet someone that didn't/doesn't celebrate Christmas state that the word Christmas Tree bothered them at all. In fact, I have yet to meet anyone that gets angry at the use of Merry Christmas. It blows my mind that people are so thin skinned/eager to make a quick buck because they feel "infringed" upon. If there is no malice behind the use of words (examples: Merry Christmas to a Jewish person or Happy Hanukkah to a Christian or what have you) then there should not be any issues. I don't snap and cry foul when someone tells me "God Bless" or equivalent. Annoying really.

I see where they are coming from but it's grasping at straws really; its just easier for a company to force their employees to call it a holiday tree than to deal with backlash from those against calling it a christmas tree.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am

I understand that. Just annoying that people will literally complain about every little thing that they don't agree with. Very little tolerance for different beliefs/customs anymore.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am

this country allowed its citizens to think their opinion, and their opinion of themselves for that matter, is more important than it actually is. self-centered dingleberries.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 am

canaan wrote:this country allowed its citizens to think their opinion, and their opinion of themselves for that matter, is more important than it actually is. self-centered dingleberries.

FASCIST
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:51 am

blackjack68 wrote:We take the kids to a tree farm, take a hayride out into the field and cut a nice, fresh 8-foot Douglas or Frazer Fir.

How about you?

That's what we did as a kid, and I loved it. Now that I'm the dad, we're all artificial. There's good reasons for it, but I do miss the old ways.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to NHR