Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:28 am

the adjectives are stale, antiquated descriptors that, to me, have the connotation that the giver of said descriptions are of an age that is outside of the socially-accepted age range/relationship (simplified as: it sounds like an old person saying it to a young girl). its off-putting to me. if you went up to a girl and said she was breathtaking, it would come off as awkward 90+% of the time.

its just uncomfortable hyperbole to me. Its common day helen of troy weirdness.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,466
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am

canaan wrote:the adjectives are stale, antiquated descriptors that, to me, have the connotation that the giver of said descriptions are of an age that is outside of the socially-accepted age range/relationship (simplified as: it sounds like an old person saying it to a young girl). its off-putting to me. if you went up to a girl and said she was breathtaking, it would come off as awkward 90+% of the time.

its just uncomfortable hyperbole to me. Its common day helen of troy weirdness.


Woah. Think maybe you're taking words too seriously? I mean, what do you say then? You're 'hot'? What do you feel is the proper way of telling a girl she's amazing?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:47 am

that may well be the case :lol:

i dont actively compliment females on their looks, outside of my wife, but when i do, i tell her she looks hot and/or beautiful. i dont think those hyperbolic descriptors come off as authentic sounding.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,466
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 am

Raisins
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,506
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:51 am

Froggy wrote:Raisins


that's a weird word to describe a hot chick
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:Raisins


that's a weird word to describe a hot chick

I just hate raisins. They are grape zombies
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,506
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby joopen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:53 am

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
joopen wrote:People who read while using cardio equipment (except stationary bike since your are relatively still)... drives me bonkers


haha, I don't get that at all...I don't like to have to change the song on my iPhone while I am running, much less turning the pages of a book


I read my kindle on the eliptical....i never realized this might bother people.


I want to take your kindle and throw it out the window into oncomming traffic.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,731
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

canaan wrote:that may well be the case :lol:

i dont actively compliment females on their looks, outside of my wife, but when i do, i tell her she looks hot and/or beautiful. i dont think those hyperbolic descriptors come off as authentic sounding.


lol, OK.

Well, let's perform an experiment. Walk up to your girl toward the evening when she is looking really good like could tell she made herself all nice. Get romantic. Because I love romance. I think it is SO underappreciated today. Guys make fun of romance and feelings, I know. Whatever. Look deeply into her eyes, put your hand on the side of her face/neck, tell her she is breathtaking and gorgeous, and give her a slow, long, gentle kiss. Then open your eyes and see her reaction. From my experience, girls eat up compliments like cookies. They all just want to be loved and appreciated, don't they? Word of caution. She may also burst out laughing...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I guess the thought of reading while doing intense cardio is weird to me. Reading is a relaxing, leisurely thing for me. I would think it would counteract the effect the pump up music has on me.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,464
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
canaan wrote:that may well be the case :lol:

i dont actively compliment females on their looks, outside of my wife, but when i do, i tell her she looks hot and/or beautiful. i dont think those hyperbolic descriptors come off as authentic sounding.


lol, OK.

Well, let's perform an experiment. Walk up to your girl toward the evening when she is looking really good like could tell she made herself all nice. Get romantic. Because I love romance. I think it is SO underappreciated today. Guys make fun of romance and feelings, I know. Whatever. Look deeply into her eyes, put your hand on the side of her face/neck, tell her she is breathtaking and gorgeous, and give her a slow, long, gentle kiss. Then open your eyes and see her reaction. From my experience, girls eat up compliments like cookies. They all just want to be loved and appreciated, don't they? Word of caution. She may also burst out laughing...

knowing my wife, her exact words will be "what did you buy?" :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,466
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 pm

canaan wrote:knowing my wife, her exact words will be "what did you buy?" :lol:


:fist:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby JS© on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
JS© wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
canaan wrote:when people describe something as "breathtaking"


Really? I like that word. Especially when describing beautiful women. Like when Miranda Kerr walks out in a bikini. I think it's perfectly OK to say she is breathtaking. But maybe you're referring to people overusing it on stupid stuff or exaggerating things, in which case I agree it can be annoying.


I don't know. Even beautiful women might even be a stretch for breathtaking.

Hot? Yes. Breathtaking? Eh, I don't know, it seems a bit much.


You've never gotten so mesmerized by a beautiful girl that you just stared in awe and melted inside? How about a guy?


lolwut?!?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't see any guys as breathtaking.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,970
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Just messin' with you, JS, lol.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 pm

I did a search for breathtaking here. Shaf and Shyster and Tif and others like the word.

shaf: Absolutely breathtaking photo taken by a Japanese satellite during the Venus transit. WOW.
shaf: The view from the capsule is absolutely breathtaking. Not too many human beings have ever seen that incredible view.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I did a search for breathtaking here. Shaf and Shyster and Tif and others like the word.

shaf: Absolutely breathtaking photo taken by a Japanese satellite during the Venus transit. WOW.
shaf: The view from the capsule is absolutely breathtaking. Not too many human beings have ever seen that incredible view.

i think i rest my case.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,466
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Well, sounds like shaf got really excited.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm

I think there are certain words that are better used on forums like this. For instance, I dont think I'd ever in conversation actually say the word "breathtaking" but I could see myself using it to describe something in text. But in just casually talking, I breathtaking would never be my go too.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,191
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Canaan is exhibiting a breathtaking display of arrogance and elitism
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,464
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 pm

What if you were describing being smothered by a pillow, or punched in the gut? Could those be described as "breathtaking"?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,506
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

those kinds of words aren't in my lexicon.

i think .0001% of the population can use them and not sound pretentious. i'm pretty confident that sarcastic is part of that .0001%
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Canaan is exhibiting a breathtaking display of arrogance and elitism

you're right. i should go back to being mad at the people that call out my wife's inability to follow the rules of the road. my apologies, humble purveyor of all that is right.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,466
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm

"I don't normally do this, but I felt compelled to tell you something. You have an absolutely breath-taking... heiney. I mean, that thing's good. I wanna be friends with it."
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,561
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow... I almost didn't recognize you...

Who told you that shade of <insert beauty product> looks good on you?

What ever your using is doing a good job of covering up that grey hair...

Those clothes were a nice choice, they really make you look slimmer.

Spoiler:
Things you say to you ex when you see her in public... :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 pm

That moment when you walk into the men's room and don't see the urinals immediately, your heart slightly stops, then you realize there are no couches or unicorns around, and you are in the clear.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,440
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:33 pm

last week, on the wednesday before thanksgiving, someone said to me "have a nice holiday!". What other holiday is there? just say thanksgiving! it's not a religious holiday, or anything... why so PC?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,506
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelPen, Michael Scott, MWW and 12 guests

e-mail