Paper Topic help

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paper Topic help

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

You're missing some big ones with the Euro Crisis. This is related to deficit spending, which is related to the US's current spending.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 am

SOX controls have been huge and changed a lot of auditing practices in larger companies.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:09 am

Troy Loney wrote:SOX controls have been huge and changed a lot of auditing practices in larger companies.

mac mentioned enron as one of the topics. sox would probably fall under that headline
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 am

Stay away from SOX. What a boring, uninteresting thing.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 am

yeah I think I will do that ulf. :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:23 am

mac5155 wrote:yeah I think I will do that ulf. :pop:

I would write about enron and mention a little blurb on SOX and how it spawned from their lack of controls. But a whole section on it would be brutal for all parties.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:24 am

As someone who has to deal with it every day and a former part time business prof, I think at least mentioning SOX in a paper called "the ten events of the last decade that most changed the business environment"... is critical.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 am

ulf wrote:

I would write about enron and mention a little blurb on SOX and how it spawned from their lack of controls. But a whole section on it would be brutal for all parties.

the actual rules of sox are boring

but the reasons why sox came into being (i.e. the corporate abuse) is a really entertaining subject. bernard ebbers, john rigas/adelphia cable, al dunlap, and ken lay are all first rate jagoffs and really interesting cases becasue of their shenanigans
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am

mac5155 wrote:I have to write a paper on "the ten events of the last decade that most changed the business environment"... Since it's 2012, and I want to include the obvious 9/11, I'm stretching it and going back to 2000. Any suggestions? Here's what I've come up with thus far..

9/11
2008 financial / housing crisis
internet and social media
Oil prices
Enron/Lehman
G20
Iraq/Afghan wars
Natural Gas exploration
Obama's election (maybe I dont want to include this due to my liberal professor and my conservative views...)
Invention of Smartphones

any other ideas?

Streaming media(Hulu, on demand, netflix)/HDTV/wide spread access to high speed internet - Movie theaters no longer are the place to go to watch a movie with how good home theaters are, you can stream almost anything in higher quality than is seen in the theaters. Plus we're still IMO just on the tip of streaming media which if you think about it will eventually make the home media player like DVD/Blu-ray totally obsolete.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
ulf wrote:

but the reasons why sox came into being (i.e. the corporate abuse) is a really entertaining subject. bernard ebbers, john rigas/adelphia cable, al dunlap, and ken lay are all first rate jagoffs and really interesting cases becasue of their shenanigans

I work at a bank, there are three seperate departments that come and audit us every year. I really doubt we had a whole department in the bank called governance and oversight before SOX controls.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Streaming media(Hulu, on demand, netflix)/HDTV/wide spread access to high speed internet - Movie theaters no longer are the place to go to watch a movie with how good home theaters are, you can stream almost anything in higher quality than is seen in the theaters. Plus we're still IMO just on the tip of streaming media which if you think about it will eventually make the home media player like DVD/Blu-ray totally obsolete.

This was my second after sox and frank dodd.

though i disagree in that streaming quality doesnt even begin to approach digital cable, let alone bluray or 4k, the digitalization of magazines, books, music, and movies is profoundly impacting the publishing and entertainment industries.

and with DVR it is tossing broadcasting and advertising on its head
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
ulf wrote:

Yeah that's what I meant. The rules and SOX itself aren't fun. Write about why they're in place and what caused their importance.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Streaming media(Hulu, on demand, netflix)/HDTV/wide spread access to high speed internet - Movie theaters no longer are the place to go to watch a movie with how good home theaters are, you can stream almost anything in higher quality than is seen in the theaters. Plus we're still IMO just on the tip of streaming media which if you think about it will eventually make the home media player like DVD/Blu-ray totally obsolete.

This was my second after sox and frank dodd.

though i disagree in that streaming quality doesnt even begin to approach digital cable, let alone bluray or 4k, the digitalization of magazines, books, music, and movies is profoundly impacting the publishing and entertainment industries.

and with DVR it is tossing broadcasting and advertising on its head

Yeah, sorry I worded that poorly. It doesn't approach that quality but it is for sure getting better. I remember watching streaming hockey even a couple years ago and the quality being just horrid, very choppy, very grainy, and that was to be expected with live streaming at that time. Now the quality that can be lived stream is very very good. You can read player names even when zoomed out etc. Still as you said not at the point Blu-ray is however like I said I feel like we're at the very tip of streaming media and it's only going to get better.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

1. Deregulation of the banking industry.
2. Long term impact of Hossa to DET on Pgh economy.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 pm

iTunes.

Ask Best Buy how much it has crippled their business and changed the music industry in general.

A simple scan of artists selling 1,000,000 in an opening week 10-12 years ago versus now is an easy point to drive it home.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:15 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:SOX controls have been huge and changed a lot of auditing practices in larger companies.

mac mentioned enron as one of the topics. sox would probably fall under that headline

SOX would probably be better served by a paper on Arthur Andersen/Accenture rather than Enron. Its a topic rarely covered that may be even more damning than Enron.

I think you could probably write a very intriguing paper on the reactionary nature of the Federal Governments regulation of business in general. Its a big topic and serves to both support your conservative views/agenda (its always good to write about what you believe in...) while objectively measuring a popular and recent topic from the election cycle. Choose your sources wisely.....
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby meow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Wait, why are we bringing up 9/11 in a paper about the past decade?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 pm

meow wrote:Wait, why are we bringing up 9/11 in a paper about the past decade?

When you say "Past decade", I think mac is think 2000-2010 (because this decade is only 2 years in)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

When you say "Past decade", I think mac is think 2000-2010 (because this decade is only 2 years in)

yes, OP said I wanted to stretch decade a bit specifically to include 9/11
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

mac5155 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

yes, OP said I wanted to stretch decade a bit specifically to include 9/11

Interesting that you would stretch directions like that.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm

When did eBay really go crazy? that could be a huge thing..
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 pm

mac5155 wrote:When did eBay really go crazy? that could be a huge thing..

internet commerce in general could be a great topic all by itself. its completely changed the dynamic of how consumers not only purchase, but evaluate and compare.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 pm

so im going nuts here with writing, giving each topic like 2.5 pages. I read my syllabus. "please keep the paper to 5 pages, I have 150 to grade in less than one week"

Im on page 17. FML
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:45 pm

So you need 10 instances?

Pick 3 overarching concepts and plug in 10 examples into the 3 (for instance, talk about the internet, then narrow it down to eBay, online buying, etc.).

Much easier, less page-consuming.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah i know. im already done with the paper now. Half tempted to ask him if 7 instances is good, since i got wordy. lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR