Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am

I hadn't seen that much of Rutgers until this Saturday, though I was pretty peeved that they were 9-1 with former Pitt commit Gary Nova at QB. Though after watching Nova on Saturday, I suddenly felt a little better about Tino, as Nova is garbage.

It was nice to see Graham and Shannahan both score TD's in their final home game. Typical Pitt, beats the #13 and #18 teams, almost beats #3, and losses to Youngstown State and UConn.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,579
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am

dont forget the syracuse game
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,099
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Yeah, Nova holds us back. In fact, quarterbacking in general has held a few of these teams down recently. Even Mike Teel in 2007 was the achilles heel of the team - even if the stats didn't show it. He could throw the deep ball, but that was basically it. His decision making and reads were poor. Nova - prior to the Pittsburgh game - was the only reason why the team wasn't undefeated. He turned the ball over 7 times vs. Kent State (6 INTs) and still the Rutgers defense held them to like 31 points or something - which sounds like a lot (and it is) but when you got a guy turning the ball over every time he touches it, it's pretty remarkable that you can keep it interesting (Steelers fans may have a rough idea of what I'm talking about after the Cleveland game).

Rutgers, like they've been for the last several seasons, are based on running backs - multiple running backs and great defense. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but this team all but shutout the #1 offense in the Big East the week before (they got a field goal with 10 seconds left). I think we were allowing like 11 or 14 points per game or something like that. But historically (well, relevant history - so, in the last 6 years) Rutgers lays an egg right around this time of the year against a team we "should" beat...

Maybe moving to the Big Ten will enhance our chances of recruiting a quarterback...our last big QB snag plays TE for us now...

That was our worst game of the season (worse than the Kent State game), so I know if this is the first and only time you've seen RU then you probably don't think much of the Scarlet Knights but let me assure you...we are slightly better than that...

This team is nothing special, but it's good enough to win the Big East. 9-2 is an overstatement, but we can't really control the mediocrity of the conference we play in...let's hope we can actually be the best of this mediocre bunch on Thursday, win this thing and move on to being a small fish in a big, overrated pond...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,022
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby IanMoran on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:kenny the kangaroo cant figure out why ian moran continues to defend wanny yet seems to unknowlingly point out all of wannys incompetence. .


btw rutgers really sucks. how the hell are they 9-2?

Because, Wanny was a really good coach and all Pitt faithful got fooled by someone promising national championships / a return to the 70's here. Wanny built really good teams here. His last 2 qbs were just horrible... I don't advocate the firing of him based on that 1 error
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,970
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm of the "if you can't be good, you might as well have tradition" school of thought.

Wanny fit the bill for that, at least.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,581
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby the wicked child on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 pm

I liked Wannstache, but he had a critical flaw of being a terrible game day coach. This was nothing new of course... It has been true of his entire career.

It's too bad that he couldn't stay in another role because he clearly lived and breathed Pitt football.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,771
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:50 pm

IanMoran wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:kenny the kangaroo cant figure out why ian moran continues to defend wanny yet seems to unknowlingly point out all of wannys incompetence. .


btw rutgers really sucks. how the hell are they 9-2?

Because, Wanny was a really good coach and all Pitt faithful got fooled by someone promising national BIG EAST championships / a return to the 70's here. Wanny built really good teams here. His last 2 qbs were just horrible... I don't advocate the firing of him based on that 1 error


no pitt fan was asking for a national championship. a simple big east championship would have been quite swell.

but it probably is too much to ask to beat cinci with a 3 touchdown lead

or beat a craptastic uconn team
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,099
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, Nova holds us back. In fact, quarterbacking in general has held a few of these teams down recently. Even Mike Teel in 2007 was the achilles heel of the team - even if the stats didn't show it. He could throw the deep ball, but that was basically it. His decision making and reads were poor. Nova - prior to the Pittsburgh game - was the only reason why the team wasn't undefeated. He turned the ball over 7 times vs. Kent State (6 INTs) and still the Rutgers defense held them to like 31 points or something - which sounds like a lot (and it is) but when you got a guy turning the ball over every time he touches it, it's pretty remarkable that you can keep it interesting (Steelers fans may have a rough idea of what I'm talking about after the Cleveland game).

Rutgers, like they've been for the last several seasons, are based on running backs - multiple running backs and great defense. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but this team all but shutout the #1 offense in the Big East the week before (they got a field goal with 10 seconds left). I think we were allowing like 11 or 14 points per game or something like that. But historically (well, relevant history - so, in the last 6 years) Rutgers lays an egg right around this time of the year against a team we "should" beat...

Maybe moving to the Big Ten will enhance our chances of recruiting a quarterback...our last big QB snag plays TE for us now...

That was our worst game of the season (worse than the Kent State game), so I know if this is the first and only time you've seen RU then you probably don't think much of the Scarlet Knights but let me assure you...we are slightly better than that...

This team is nothing special, but it's good enough to win the Big East. 9-2 is an overstatement, but we can't really control the mediocrity of the conference we play in...let's hope we can actually be the best of this mediocre bunch on Thursday, win this thing and move on to being a small fish in a big, overrated pond...


Flood must really not trust Nova, because there were so many third and longs on Saturday where they would just run the ball. We were joking in my section that Wanny must have been coaching Rutgers that day :pop:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,579
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 am

This is a point that kenny the kangaroo wanted to make about Pitt's recruiting and the state of PA:

Looking at this years rivals.com pennsylvania top 10, a grand total of 1 of the top 10 and 4 of the top 20 players in the state have committed to pitt. Considering that Penn State is in purgatory for a few years, that is not good enough.

Looking back at the past few years pitt had 3 in the top 10 and 3 out of the top 20 in 2012. Miraculously, JP holtz was not ranked in the top 20 recruits in pennsylvania.

2011 had just two in the top 20-lafayette pitts and juan price. and pitt got lucky with juan price. Although pitt would have had a few more if not for the wanny/haywood/graham debacle.

2010 which was wannys last year with the team, 0 in the top 10 and 3 in the top 20. it should be noted that pitt ended up with 5 in the top 20 because cullen christian and tom ricketts transferred to pitt from michigan and penn state, respectively.

So in 4 years, pitt has had 14 of a total 80 best recruits out of pennsyvlania. quite frankly if you are pitt you are going to have to recruit your own state better than that. most of the 10 guys that are on the team have contributed...Aaron Donald, Drew Carswell, Lafayette Pitts, Ejuan Price, and Shell have all seen a lot of time. Bisnatoway and Daysean Rippy are getting a redshirt. Cullen Christian and Gonzalez may contribute next year, and Ricketts will certainly contribute when he is healthy.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,099
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

So I havent looked into it, and I know invites need to go out and such, but with a win by each is it really that close to a WVU-Pitt Pinstripe Bowl as people seem to think?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,004
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby the wicked child on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:So I havent looked into it, and I know invites need to go out and such, but with a win by each is it really that close to a WVU-Pitt Pinstripe Bowl as people seem to think?

Guess it would be up to the bowl. Bowls are all about the draw... some smaller bowl might salivate at the idea of such a game. Even if Pitt and WVU have both had disappointing seasons, it would be a fun end to the season.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,771
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby Rylan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 am

Even though I would venture a guess that WVU would trounce Pitt, I would enthusiastically endorse the game happening. In fact, I think there should be a clause where if neither Pitt nor WVU made a major bowl, that the Backyard Brawl would be their bowl game. Won't happen, but I think that would be rather sweet.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,021
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 am

For those of you that don't believe in karma... The irony that a backyard brawl might be played right here 20 miles from my house, has not been lost on me. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby Rylan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 am

I really wish I had gone to the Backyard Brawl at least once. But, none of my friends ever wanted to go and I didn't want to deal with my WVU friends if I went with them. It gets old being razzed about your team. Especially when very rarely do I do it to other people.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,021
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 am

Rylan wrote:I really wish I had gone to the Backyard Brawl at least once. But, none of my friends ever wanted to go and I didn't want to deal with my WVU friends if I went with them. It gets old being razzed about your team. Especially when very rarely do I do it to other people.


kenny the kangaroo would never consider going to morganhole for the brawl, but it was certainly worth going to at heinz.

btw the fan is saying that the brawl in the bronx is highly unlikely
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,099
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:For those of you that don't believe in karma... The irony that a backyard brawl might be played right here 20 miles from my house, has not been lost on me. :)


At least it will be a short drive, while you head home to console yourself. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,581
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

columbia wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:For those of you that don't believe in karma... The irony that a backyard brawl might be played right here 20 miles from my house, has not been lost on me. :)


At least it will be a short drive, while you head home to console yourself. :pop:


Drive? You have been away from NY for a long time haven't you? :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby Stoosh on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:04 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, Nova holds us back. In fact, quarterbacking in general has held a few of these teams down recently. Even Mike Teel in 2007 was the achilles heel of the team - even if the stats didn't show it. He could throw the deep ball, but that was basically it. His decision making and reads were poor. Nova - prior to the Pittsburgh game - was the only reason why the team wasn't undefeated. He turned the ball over 7 times vs. Kent State (6 INTs) and still the Rutgers defense held them to like 31 points or something - which sounds like a lot (and it is) but when you got a guy turning the ball over every time he touches it, it's pretty remarkable that you can keep it interesting (Steelers fans may have a rough idea of what I'm talking about after the Cleveland game).

Rutgers, like they've been for the last several seasons, are based on running backs - multiple running backs and great defense. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but this team all but shutout the #1 offense in the Big East the week before (they got a field goal with 10 seconds left). I think we were allowing like 11 or 14 points per game or something like that. But historically (well, relevant history - so, in the last 6 years) Rutgers lays an egg right around this time of the year against a team we "should" beat...

Maybe moving to the Big Ten will enhance our chances of recruiting a quarterback...our last big QB snag plays TE for us now...

That was our worst game of the season (worse than the Kent State game), so I know if this is the first and only time you've seen RU then you probably don't think much of the Scarlet Knights but let me assure you...we are slightly better than that...

This team is nothing special, but it's good enough to win the Big East. 9-2 is an overstatement, but we can't really control the mediocrity of the conference we play in...let's hope we can actually be the best of this mediocre bunch on Thursday, win this thing and move on to being a small fish in a big, overrated pond...


Mikey287,

I was at the Rutgers-Pitt game last Saturday and couldn't help but wonder...what exactly has happened with Savon Huggins? I know he was very highly touted as a true freshman and played a decent deal last year. It seems like he hasn't factored into the offense as much this year. I haven't followed Rutgers that closely this year so I wasn't sure what was going on with him.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,478
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 pm

He got hurt last year and this year I think. So he's been a little banged up. When Jamison was hurt, Huggins stepped in and carried the ball 41 times a few weeks ago. So he can play, it's just that Jamison has been really good in his own right. Huggins is about as good of a recruit as we've captured and he seems to be doing and saying all the right things and just waiting for his opportunity. Which should come soon enough. If we had two RBs that could carry it 30 times each, we wouldn't leave games up to our brutal QB (the venerable Super Nova) - tongue-in-cheek, but I'm still sore after yesterday's brutal loss.

So, Huggins is firmly the #2, but there's no reason to take the ball out of Jamison's hands...he gets like 25-30 touches per game and gets like 5 yards per touch. I have to imagine that ranks highly in the Big East, just at face value. So it's not like Huggins is the #2 to some schlub...Huggins is a year younger, so he'll get his time. Also, with RBs running back depth, players seem to just disappear and re-appear now and again. Mason Robinson, for instance, I recall being a running back for us a few years ago...then he became a defensive back after losing his RB spot and now he seems to mostly return punts...Kordell Young is another one that seemed to show a couple flashes and then poof...gone. So who knows...maybe one of them is our starting QB next year...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,022
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:25 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Rylan wrote:I really wish I had gone to the Backyard Brawl at least once. But, none of my friends ever wanted to go and I didn't want to deal with my WVU friends if I went with them. It gets old being razzed about your team. Especially when very rarely do I do it to other people.


kenny the kangaroo would never consider going to morganhole for the brawl, but it was certainly worth going to at heinz.


I've been to BYB's at old Mountaineer field, Puskar Stadium, and old Pitt Stadium (Never at Heinz). I can't imagine a more intense environment than what I witnessed at old Mountaineer Field. (1979). The games at Puskar are great, Pitt Stadium was OK, but I just can't imagine a more sterile environment for that game than Hienz

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:btw the fan is saying that the brawl in the bronx is highly unlikely


What do they know? :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:27 pm

where's hienz?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,045
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 pm

ulf wrote:where's hienz?


Across the street from Heinz.

Geeze don't you know anything?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 pm

:lol:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,045
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby columbia on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 pm

I'd rather see Pitt Stadium II than them down on the North Side, but that's just a foolish dream on my part.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,581
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby pittsports87 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:02 pm

Team is going to finish 6-6 and it's a shame because they should be 9-3 if they didn't blow the game against Notre Dame and play down to YSU and UConn.

People love to hate Tino and while he isn't a big time Qb, he was solid this year. 3000 yards with 19 TD's and 2 INT's. Biggest complaint I have with him is him taking to many sacks and not throwing the ball away enough.

Who starts next year? I hope they give Chad Voytik a chance. He's been in the system a year so he has had a chance to learn it and the kid could be a really good QB.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,458
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MalkinIsMyHomeboy, meecrofilm, Rocco and 2 guests


e-mail