Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am

It would be nice if they just started negotiating instead of trying to break each other. It's about time, I'd say.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 am

The only way this meeting could go well (and I currently put those odds at 1:20,000), is if the owners can somehow convince the players that they aren't going to keep nailing them with every negotiation in the future. I think the big hold up here, and why Fehr was brought in, was because the players felt that if they got beaten down twice, then every 5 years they would continue to get beaten down.

The other issues just seem to be such a non-issue at the end of the day. The players should love 5 year contracts, especially if you get the big signing bonuses as growing league revenue is more likely to end up in their hands versus signing a 10 year back diving contract where you only make your money today. the age limitations are complete wash-outs and both sides know it. They have both agreed to the 50-50 split and the money to fund existing contracts is so close together it is a joke. That leaves the only thing left on the table to be the 'owner's clearly winning' perception and the players don't want that out there.

in every negotiation what have you heard the players always say? "If the owners would just give a little but they won't budge on anything". If the owners gave at all, they would be playing hockey right now. The players just need to know that they have some power.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 am

I like the fact that burkle is in the room, he is probably one of the few NHL owners that have ever dealt with a union outside of the NHL. he knows the give and take that is needed in these types of negoitations and as a mid level team will be a moderate in the neogiations
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 am

Getting the two biggest egos out of the way should definitely help.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 am

Gaucho wrote:Getting the two biggest egos out of the way should definitely help.

can't hurt.

but it's a dangerous game for the players. the owners might just be using this time to extract information since they'll have a rare chance to hear much less calculated arguments at this meeting. the player reps need to be very careful. they're dealing with some legit sharks.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 am

Does anyone know the date on which the '04-'05 season was cancelled?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

February 16.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:23 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am

Seems grotesquely late.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:35 am

Gaucho wrote:Seems grotesquely late.

No matter how many times I see it, I still feel the same way. I always go, "wasn't it like January something-th?" but it's on wiki, so it must be true.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:47 am

Gaucho wrote:Getting the two biggest egos out of the way should definitely help.

I thought Jeremy Jacobs was going to be there... :twisted:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am

i remember after they settled the CBA, there was like half a day where there were heavy duty rumors circulating about how they were going to try to squeeze a compressed season in.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Well since these 6 owners and 6 players really hold no weight and can't do no harm to their respective sides. WHat is stopping either side in trying to negotiate a deal and put it up for a vote... If these 6 can pick and slice, give and take, sacrafice on both sides and make a "make shift" CBA and put it up for a vote for the owners and the players to look at and get a genuine feel for where they stand. I am not saying they will pass anything but people giving and taking something on each side could pay off hugh.

I like what i wrote and how it sounded, but even i can't believe i just typed that, it almost sounds like optimism. I really should know better than that by now.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:03 pm

tfrizz wrote:

I thought Jeremy Jacobs was going to be there... :twisted:

:fist:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Crosby and Toews among group of players, according to Dreger. Video of first meeting is already up:

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 pm

That is great, i miss biz's old twitter profile of, i once played on a line with Crosby and Malkin for 7 seconds, i didn't touch the puck
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Seems grotesquely late.

No matter how many times I see it, I still feel the same way. I always go, "wasn't it like January something-th?" but it's on wiki, so it must be true.

Kenny the kangaroo is not thrilled with the prospect of this nonsense dragging on until mid february.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

If this goes on until February I'm looking forward to both Bettman and Fehr stating how they both tried their utmost til the last hour to save the season... for the sake of the fans. Because the fans derserve it. It's all because of the fans. They're the best in the world.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Gaucho wrote:Crosby and Toews among group of players, according to Dreger. Video of first meeting is already up:

Footage of the most recent NHL - NHLPA meeting was also released:

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Now are the players going to negotiate or just ask questions about how the owners feel.

Seems like a stupid idea, if they agreed to it right away but at this point, Fehr has had time to prep these guys. He will only pick the people he trust to get his point accross. This type of meeting is just to get under Fehrs skin. He is having a control issue just letting this meeting happen.

The best thing the owners could do is, make small concessions in that meeting, making it look like ithe tough negotiations are all Fehs fault.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Gaucho wrote:It would be nice if they just started negotiating instead of trying to break each other.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:29 pm

I think its time to remind everyone why this lockout needs to end.

Spoiler:
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:47 pm

no name wrote:The best thing the owners could do is, make small concessions in that meeting, making it look like ithe tough negotiations are all Fehs fault.

That would be a really brilliant strategy. Just give them one or two things easily and tell them Fehr was never able to get to this point.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 pm

joopen wrote:
no name wrote:The best thing the owners could do is, make small concessions in that meeting, making it look like ithe tough negotiations are all Fehs fault.

That would be a really brilliant strategy. Just give them one or two things easily and tell them Fehr was never able to get to this point.

They're going to have a hard time making Fehr look any different than how the players already see him. Too many players are able to sit in on the dealings with Fehr for him to be able to hide anything.

The strategy is valid, though. The owners aren't stupid, and they know Fehr isn't going to bite at small bait. They need to relax some (or most) of their contracting rights proposals in this meeting then tell the players that once Fehr's back at the negotiating table the deal is off.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins