TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Nuge on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Just watched the last two HIMYM and they were both atrocious.


You can tell that they are out of ideas, but need to kill time before they get into the actual meeting of the mother story line, which probably won't happen until February or March.

So we probably have another 2 or 3 months of just filler type of episodes until they get into what people actually are waiting for (at least long time fans who want to know).


Is it just me or is him meeting the mother going to me a major letdown? I mean we already know he meets here at that wedding and its just going to be some random chick. I don't really see what the big deal is.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby eddysnake on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Nuge wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Just watched the last two HIMYM and they were both atrocious.


You can tell that they are out of ideas, but need to kill time before they get into the actual meeting of the mother story line, which probably won't happen until February or March.

So we probably have another 2 or 3 months of just filler type of episodes until they get into what people actually are waiting for (at least long time fans who want to know).


Is it just me or is him meeting the mother going to me a major letdown? I mean we already know he meets here at that wedding and its just going to be some random chick. I don't really see what the big deal is.



You are right, the show has become a parody of itself. If they were smart they would somehow try and make Topanga the mom and have it tie in with the new girl meets world show coming out, that or make it Canaans lover from the strange news thread...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,622
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: TV Shows

Postby viva la ben on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:43 am

TIL Michael Emerson(Ben Linus from lost) is married to Carrie Preston (Arleen from True Blood) IRL
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,870
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: TV Shows

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:09 am

Nuge wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Just watched the last two HIMYM and they were both atrocious.


You can tell that they are out of ideas, but need to kill time before they get into the actual meeting of the mother story line, which probably won't happen until February or March.

So we probably have another 2 or 3 months of just filler type of episodes until they get into what people actually are waiting for (at least long time fans who want to know).


Is it just me or is him meeting the mother going to me a major letdown? I mean we already know he meets here at that wedding and its just going to be some random chick. I don't really see what the big deal is.


I agree. I think if the would have done it last season or the season before, it would have worked out well. But the show started to get stale, and now that they have committed to showing the mother reveal for this season, I think a lot of the luster has been lost because the show has run out of ideas and was running on fumes for the past 2 seasons. Everyone is going to hype up the reveal to make up for the lack of quality for the past 2 years and then be disappointed.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,117
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 am

What I really dislike about the type of comedy that HIMYM is showing lately is that everything is so outrageously unrealistic it has lost it's funny side. Like the episode that just aired with Barney and the strip clubs. All of them trying to bribe him to be their new patron. Yeah, like that would ever happen in real life.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Anyone watch the Office last night? Honestly, I thought it was one of the better ones in a long time.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,117
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm

newarenanow wrote:Anyone watch the Office last night? Honestly, I thought it was one of the better ones in a long time.

i have it dvr'ed but chose to watch parks and rec last night. that show makes me laugh...even if swanson's shtick is a little tired for me.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,450
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: TV Shows

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:05 pm

the office has been very watchable lately

i'm really glad they completely overhauled the nelly character. she's been a plus.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,181
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:the office has been very watchable lately

i'm really glad they completely overhauled the nelly character. she's been a plus.


Yeah, I like Nelly this season. I hated last season, but now I can stand watching her this season. They actually did a good job with her.

On the other hand, I hate what they've done with The Nard Dog, his character has been annoying, and now that he is on his boat ride and has missed the last 2 episodes, I've actually enjoyed them more.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,117
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Watching "SNL: The Best of John Belushi"...

They have him doing his Samurai character making fun of Saturday Night Fever, and OJ was playing a priest... That may be the most unintentionally funny thing I've seen lately.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,529
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: TV Shows

Postby MWB on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 pm

canaan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Anyone watch the Office last night? Honestly, I thought it was one of the better ones in a long time.

i have it dvr'ed but chose to watch parks and rec last night. that show makes me laugh...even if swanson's shtick is a little tired for me.


Parks and Rec is the best comedy for me right now. Swanson is a little tired, but still makes me laugh.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,584
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: TV Shows

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 am

Watched the pilot of American horror story. Not sure what the make of this
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,265
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: TV Shows

Postby malkinshair on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Watched the pilot of American horror story. Not sure what the make of this


First season was very good, IMO...but it did take a few episodes to establish what was going on with who...and why. Worth sticking with...if for no other reason than Connie Britton and 'young maid'. :thumb:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,215
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 pm
Location: about 455 yards away...with a 2 iron, I think.

Re: TV Shows

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Definitely one of the best "finishing moves" on Person of Interest yet. <3 this show.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,342
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: TV Shows

Postby canaan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:Watched the pilot of American horror story. Not sure what the make of this


First season was very good, IMO...but it did take a few episodes to establish what was going on with who...and why. Worth sticking with...if for no other reason than Connie Britton and 'young maid'. :thumb:

I started S01E01 this afternoon and I'm 1/2 way through E04... I'm diggin it...same kinda silly horror, mixed in with some solid casting
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,450
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: TV Shows

Postby canaan on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:12 am

For sarcastic:

If my wife is 1/2 as breathtaking at 45 as Connie Britton is, I'm set.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,450
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: TV Shows

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:07 am

canaan wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:Watched the pilot of American horror story. Not sure what the make of this


First season was very good, IMO...but it did take a few episodes to establish what was going on with who...and why. Worth sticking with...if for no other reason than Connie Britton and 'young maid'. :thumb:

I started S01E01 this afternoon and I'm 1/2 way through E04... I'm diggin it...same kinda silly horror, mixed in with some solid casting


Spoiler:
wtf was up w the gimp suit? Was it Dylan McDermott and supposed to symbolize the demon seed inside her?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,265
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: TV Shows

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 am

HIMYM:

- another bland episode IMO. Robin and Lilly story lines were just pretty much overreacting (I know it's doen in a lot of shows, but I've noticed the longer a show goes, the harder the actor/character becomes and overthe top version of themselves, expamples are Joey from Friends and Homer Simpson).

- it's getting a little more into the Robin Barney hookup now, so at least that was one step in the right direction.

- it's goign to be a long 5 or 6 episodes IMO until they get to the Ted Mother storyline.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,117
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:22 am

Burning Love web episodes on yahoo with Ken Marino is great. Not sure how I missed it, but the entire 1st season is over, they are 8 minutes long and you'll probably watch them all in 1 sitting.

http://screen.yahoo.com/burning-love/

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,622
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: TV Shows

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am

Finished Battlestar Galactica. Great series, even if it dragged through season 3 into mid-season 4.

The Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome movie has been released on Youtube, via Machimina. Weird. I've watched the first few episodes, and it's pretty solid. Production values are higher than the series; my guess is that SyFy had high expectations for it, but didn't bother to air it.

Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,992
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: TV Shows

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am

newarenanow wrote:HIMYM:

- another bland episode IMO. Robin and Lilly story lines were just pretty much overreacting (I know it's doen in a lot of shows, but I've noticed the longer a show goes, the harder the actor/character becomes and overthe top version of themselves, expamples are Joey from Friends and Homer Simpson).

- it's getting a little more into the Robin Barney hookup now, so at least that was one step in the right direction.

- it's goign to be a long 5 or 6 episodes IMO until they get to the Ted Mother storyline.


i hate the barney character more every episode. they can't flirt with him having a serious story arc and then have 95% of the stuff he says come out as total nonsense. they've done this to robin, too. she's become a cartoon character. maybe it was intentional to make her and barney a more realistic couple.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,181
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 am

shmenguin wrote:i hate the barney character more every episode. they can't flirt with him having a serious story arc and then have 95% of the stuff he says come out as total nonsense. they've done this to robin, too. she's become a cartoon character. maybe it was intentional to make her and barney a more realistic couple.


I actually really enjoyed Barney during the first few seasons. But like I said, when it seems like a character becomes popular in a show, the writers then start overdoing things for that character, and around season 4 or so, Barney became like you said, a cartoon of himself.

And I agree, they seem to be doing teh same with Robin.

Seems to happen to some popular characters on long running shows. My biggest disappoinment in this is Homer Simpson. Loved him from seasons 3-8, then he became the most popular Simpson over taking Bart, and then they ruined his character.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,117
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Homeland
Spoiler:
Gah, a remote controlled pacemaker? Does it have wifi? A little silly. :lol:

Doing some quick research, it looks like it might be possible, if the guy was within 50 ft. of the pacemaker.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... _volt_jolt
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,992
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: TV Shows

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Finished Battlestar Galactica. Great series, even if it dragged through season 3 into mid-season 4.

The Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome movie has been released on Youtube, via Machimina. Weird. I've watched the first few episodes, and it's pretty solid. Production values are higher than the series; my guess is that SyFy had high expectations for it, but didn't bother to air it.


I really liked BSG, but never heard of this thing until now. Seems like all the actors are different. I guess I'll try to catch the first episode and see if it's any good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica:_Blood_%26_Chrome
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: TV Shows

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm

canaan wrote:For sarcastic:

If my wife is 1/2 as breathtaking at 45 as Connie Britton is, I'm set.


I don't know who she is, but she looks damn fine at 45. And I see you're a fan of the freckle. It's been growing on me since I took a note of Erin Heatherton and the mega ginger, Cintia Dicker. I kinda ignored the freckled female in the past.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, kovyfalcon27, RJW76, Rocco, Shyster and 8 guests

e-mail