Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I know it's a fairly popular method, but I'd be worried about the mixer blade cutting the gluten strands into tiny fragments and not coming together properly. Also, dough is very thick and wet and can put a ton of strain on the processor's motor... and I've already killed one food processor.

I wouldn't do real bread in a food processor, just for that reason. For pizza or "flat" bread, it's fine. My food processor is stronger than my stand mixer, for some reason.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,999
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby mac5155 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:38 pm

I just made a chef boyardee instead. Don't judge me.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,233
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby BadHands71 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm

columbia wrote:I picked up one of these today:


Image


It's a serious implement.


Want!!!! Just did the first part of the wedding registry today, always fun registering for the good stuff that we really want!
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm pretty psyched about living only 5 blocks from this fish market:
http://www.russoseafood.com/about_us.htm

Making this salmon with a ginger-soy vinaigrette in a few hours:
http://www.aveceric.com/2011/05/11/sear ... naigrette/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,377
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby BadHands71 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Recently had a burger that was topped with kielbasa, fried egg, hashbrowns and bbq sauce. A heart attack on a bun but worth every bite. It was last meal material.

Spoiler bc of size
Spoiler:
Image
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 pm

OMG. Where did you get that
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,233
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby BadHands71 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 am

mac5155 wrote:OMG. Where did you get that


Bocktown. It was at the one in Robinson.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 am

I have half a chuck roast in the crockpot cooking for this evening. plan is roast beef sandwiches with cheddar and horseradish sauce. The fiancee and I were at a place this weekend that had it on special and they were out by the time we went to order, so we figured we'd make our own.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,258
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 am

Meatloaf.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,682
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,233
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

I disagree with Gordon. Too runny for my taste.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,682
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 pm

blackjack68 wrote:I disagree with Gordon. Too runny for my taste.


yeah...i hate people that tell you your opinion of the food you eat is wrong. i like my eggs much harder than he prepared in the video. I've tried multiple degrees of done for eggs and i like them to be solid. that's just my personal opinion and i don't see how it could be construed as "wrong".
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,258
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 pm

columbia wrote:Making this salmon with a ginger-soy vinaigrette in a few hours:
http://www.aveceric.com/2011/05/11/sear ... naigrette/

That's one of my favorite weeknight meals, but I like to use cod.
Spoiler:
Image


Look for the video demonstration of this recipe from the show -- it looks like he uses like 3x the amount of shoyu in the recipe. :shock:

count2infinity wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:I disagree with Gordon. Too runny for my taste.


yeah...i hate people that tell you your opinion of the food you eat is wrong. i like my eggs much harder than he prepared in the video. I've tried multiple degrees of done for eggs and i like them to be solid. that's just my personal opinion and i don't see how it could be construed as "wrong".

Because it is.

:wink:

You like what you like.... even if it destroys the texture and flavor of the product the cook is trying to preserve. :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't want eggs that runny unless they were pastured and organic. Factory farmed eggs that runny not only taste icky, they're a potential health hazard.

As an aside, those Ramsay videos are pretty good. It's fun seeing him actually cooking and not just yelling at people for cooking poorly.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,551
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm allergic to eggs... but I watched it anyway... and it looked really good :-/
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 pm

i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,258
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 pm

count2infinity wrote:i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.



What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?

**** that. Its wrong.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:09 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
As an aside, those Ramsay videos are pretty good. It's fun seeing him actually cooking and not just yelling at people for cooking poorly.


All I could think about that was

HEY MORON YOU BURNT THE TOAST FEEL SHAME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,233
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Godric wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.



What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?

**** that. Its wrong.


I find it snobbish to tell people what they like in food. by right and wrong in food i was talking more procedural things like knife cuts. to tell someone else something doesn't taste good is like telling someone else they're wrong for enjoying country, rap, rock, or whatever their favorite music type is.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,258
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:17 pm

count2infinity wrote:
Godric wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.



What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?

**** that. Its wrong.


I find it snobbish to tell people what they like in food. by right and wrong in food i was talking more procedural things like knife cuts. to tell someone else something doesn't taste good is like telling someone else they're wrong for enjoying country, rap, rock, or whatever their favorite music type is.


I feel where you are coming from but I just can't be like that whenever I'm grilling steaks. I refuse to ruin them, no matter how anyone claims they like them. I'll make them cook their own :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 pm

count2infinity wrote:i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.

It all comes down to personal preference. Period.

But if you like eggs cooked til they have a grainy consistency, then you, sir, don't like eggs.

Godric wrote:What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?

Exactly. That's great that you like well done steak - go forth and be prosperous! Just don't expect me to cook it that way for you, and don't presume to think that you like steak. You aren't tasting meat at that point, there's no inherent flavor of the animal - what it ate, how it lived, where it lived - is completely lost. Same with any overcooked product.

It's all well and good that someone likes eggs cooked til they're rubberized....... but don't think for one moment that you like eggs, or even have any idea what an egg actually tastes like.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,551
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm

I like my scrambled eggs to be very fluffy.
What's the key to getting that?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,377
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Pixie dust.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,551
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for the pro-tip. ;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,377
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm

columbia wrote:I like my scrambled eggs to be very fluffy.
What's the key to getting that?


I was also curious as to how to do this....one sight said to beat more air into it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,576
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
As an aside, those Ramsay videos are pretty good. It's fun seeing him actually cooking and not just yelling at people for cooking poorly.


All I could think about that was

HEY MORON YOU BURNT THE TOAST FEEL SHAME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA


Not enough curse words. And no mention of Donkey.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,682
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, KennyTheKangaroo, Shyster, Staggy, stopper40 and 11 guests

e-mail