Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Did some random person tweet something about the lockout being over? I am seeing a ton of retweets from obviously misinformed fans rejoicing the perceived end of the lockout.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Did some random person tweet something about the lockout being over? I am seeing a ton of retweets from obviously misinformed fans rejoicing the perceived end of the lockout.

Some guy from a Boston TV station reported his "sources" told him there was a secret meeting Monday. An announcement to end the lockout should come today or tomorrow. Almost everyone else has dismissed this, although he apparently has some credibility with 2 previous scoops.

Now, this was yesterday/early this AM. I haven't heard anything more recent about the lockout being over.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't know why hockey players cannot be intelligent, well educated people.

they can be. generally speaking, they haven't shown this over the last few months, so the burden of proof is on them.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 pm

it'd be funny if Crosby channeled George Mitchell and ended the lockout and owners and players gave him all the credit
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tfrizz on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Did some random person tweet something about the lockout being over? I am seeing a ton of retweets from obviously misinformed fans rejoicing the perceived end of the lockout.

Some guy from a Boston TV station reported his "sources" told him there was a secret meeting Monday. An announcement to end the lockout should come today or tomorrow. Almost everyone else has dismissed this, although he apparently has some credibility with 2 previous scoops.

Now, this was yesterday/early this AM. I haven't heard anything more recent about the lockout being over.

His two previous scoops were both regarding Bruins' players which means he may have an in with the Bruins and/or Jeremy Jacobs.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt, but it's pretty hard to dismiss it completely.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm

tfrizz wrote:His two previous scoops were both regarding Bruins' players which means he may have an in with the Bruins and/or Jeremy Jacobs.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt, but it's pretty hard to dismiss it completely.

Jacobs probably had him plant the story to try to derail today's talks... :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I don't know why hockey players cannot be intelligent, well educated people.

they can be. generally speaking, they haven't shown this over the last few months, so the burden of proof is on them.

So a vocal minority suddenly represents the players as a whole?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm

The Tweet sounded like because the two sides were in a room together, the lockout COULD be over tomorrow. In theory. Just like theoretically I could become president. Someday.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Thats not what he is saying at all. He was speaking to what was SEEN in the last few months... not everything
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Godric wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Thats not what he is saying at all. He was speaking to what was SEEN in the last few months... not everything

Right. He's taking what he's seen and applying it to the silent majority. I don't know why that was hard to understand from my post.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_srq on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Here's the only thing that I believe is positive about the meeting: I do not believe that the Pens organization would not have Burkle at the meeting if they felt it could damage their relationship with Sid.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Another great article from Mike Colligan. Highly recommend reading it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ending-lock ... -playbook/
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Bioshock wrote:Another great article from Mike Colligan. Highly recommend reading it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ending-lock ... -playbook/

I feel like I got plagarized in this article. He stole my thoughts from the previous page about the players needing the perception that they didn't get crushed for a second time. yeah, I know, real original.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:41 pm

There seems to be a whole lot of optimism in these articles, tweets, and reactions today. I hope it is merited!
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mnpensfan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Unless someone reports that high fives are being exchanged then I'm not buying anything :)
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:01 pm

mnpensfan wrote:Unless someone reports that high fives are being exchanged then I'm not buying anything :)

:thumb:

:D or zamboni fumes released.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Godric wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Right. He's taking what he's seen and applying it to the silent majority. I don't know why that was hard to understand from my post.

You've been pretty dense recently.

Are you talking about Gaucho or Shmenguin? You're answer might actually indicate that I'm the one being dense...
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Godric wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

You've been pretty dense recently.

Are you talking about Gaucho or Shmenguin? You're answer might actually indicate that I'm the one being dense...
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:09 pm

I don't know why you're trying to make a thing out of this. I disagree with shmenguin that the vocal minority being idiots and what not is indicative of all the players.

I don't know how you didn't get that, and I really don't know why you're arguing or what you're even trying to argue.

And I'm just going to ignore the "dense" comment. :face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't know why you're trying to make a thing out of this. I disagree with shmenguin that the vocal minority being idiots and what not is indicative of all the players.

I don't know how you didn't get that, and I really don't know why you're arguing or what you're even trying to argue.

And I'm just going to ignore the "dense" comment. :face:

Hm. I just reread shmen's post. I was the one that misread it :pop:

Whoops.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eww7633 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm

So anyways, has any news leaked out yet?
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Dregger and Mckenzie are suprisingly quiet after this meeting. no one is giving up a scoop.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm

no name wrote:Dregger and Mckenzie are suprisingly quiet after this meeting. no one is giving up a scoop.

I think McKenzie was having plane issues. Sounds like LeBrun and Dreger were as well (on a different plane).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Is this meeting over?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika