Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I skim through this thread more often than not.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Owners are back at the bargaining table.

I'm going to allow myself to be optimistic.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm

? no hope the winter classic can be saved? I am asking because I think the NHL hates giving up that 1/1/2013 day of coverage.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 pm

opie22002 wrote:Greg Wyshynski

@wyshynski
Hearing next Fri. for camps. MT @garylawless if deal gets done by weekend, training camps could open next Wed/56-game season on Dec. 20

Using the new confrences or the old divisions?? I like the new confrences idea.

I guess i am getting a little ahead of myself... just sign a deal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 pm

penny lane wrote:? no hope the winter classic can be saved? I am asking because I think the NHL hates giving up that 1/1/2013 day of coverage.

Awfully short notice, Penny. Even if they got something done before we get into our footie pajamas tonight, I think it's too short notice to pull off. I don't think they're quite ready to sign anything yet...

There is a 48-game schedule that I'm aware of out there...not sure that it would include any glitz or glamour like the Winter Classic though. You're right though, it would be nice to woo some attention in the midst of college football's all month bowl-a-rama...you sleep in the bed you make, or however that saying goes...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 pm

So here is my question, if this deal happens without Bettman and Fehr in the room, how long do they last in their respective position.

Also, are we seeing a new way for the CBA to be negotiated, directly between the owners and the players with open and fair dialog? No more middle men?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:25 pm

darkstar57 wrote:So here is my question, if this deal happens without Bettman and Fehr in the room, how long do they last in their respective position.

Also, are we seeing a new way for the CBA to be negotiated, directly between the owners and the players with open and fair dialog? No more middle men?

I'm very optimistic right now because of a combo of things I'm hearing and actually not hearing.

But you pose a great question. If a few people got in a room and chatted for a few hours to get a deal done where do the problem actually lie. If the league gets a lot of what it wanted and some contract stipulations we know the problem was Fehr.......and vice versa.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 pm

darkstar57 wrote:So here is my question, if this deal happens without Bettman and Fehr in the room, how long do they last in their respective position.

Bettman will stick around. He's helped the league grow tremendously, and if the owners had a problem with him he'd have been gone already.

Fehr will be done. His plan all along was to re-retire once a new CBA is signed; however, he will be succeeded by his brother Steve.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Both will stay in their position, at least Bettman IMO. There is a lot more to their jobs than negotiating a new CBA every 6 years, especially for Bettman, who I think has done a pretty good overall job.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

I'm very optimistic right now because of a combo of things I'm hearing and actually not hearing.

But you pose a great question. If a few people got in a room and chatted for a few hours to get a deal done where do the problem actually lie. If the league gets a lot of what it wanted and some contract stipulations we know the problem was Fehr.......and vice versa.

I would also after the last lockout, it took as similair type thing with players and owners going directly to each other.

Also the NHL COO John Collins the man who came up with the winter classic and has really help grow with teh game with sponsors is not happy with the way teh lockout was handled and being shut out.

I think he'd make a great commissioner, he is great with the sponsor, has great ideas for the game, he is a business men yes, but he is smart enough to turn over the hockey operations to smart people and let them run it
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:30 pm

darkstar57 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

I would also after the last lockout, it took as similair type thing with players and owners going directly to each other.

Also the NHL COO John Collins the man who came up with the winter classic and has really help grow with teh game with sponsors is not happy with the way teh lockout was handled and being shut out.

I think he'd make a great commissioner, he is great with the sponsor, has great ideas for the game, he is a business men yes, but he is smart enough to turn over the hockey operations to smart people and let them run it

I hear ya, it's just the last lockout was such a needed drastic change and a week ago mediators even said the sides were so far apart. I'm equally excited for hockey and curious as to what could have possibly been said in the meeting yesterday.

Don't know much about the guy you are talking about. Interesting haven't seen his name much if he is that high up.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Insiders are back on TSN....

Dreger: Many still remain skeptical about a resolution. Not just about giving a little bit, both sides have to give a lot. Maybe league is willing to go to sliding scale (58-42, etc, etc) Fundamentally there are still large gaps in the negotiation. Worst case scenario is getting game back on ice mid-January.

Lebrun: Both sides grinding it out. This session tonight is "very delicate". There could be setbacks. Governors told today league is working on 5-6 different schedules if deal next 7-10. Could be up to 56-58 games. 60 games is pushing it. They could play into Late June but no interconference play. Pittsburgh owner is going to be tested tonight, even though he was credited with the meeting yesterday.

McKenzie: Progress is moving very very slowly. As much as there are many people that want a deal done, there are many others on both sides that DON'T want a deal done right now.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm

As far as I know Fehr (Don) is retiring after this is through anyway. His brother is taking over. Bettman, however, I'm not getting into it but I feel he's done more good than harm, even with 3 lockouts under his watch.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Warm and fuzzy feelings from last night are gone. Things are tense heading into tonight's meeting. Pivotal session that will tell the tale
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Gaucho wrote:Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Warm and fuzzy feelings from last night are gone. Things are tense heading into tonight's meeting. Pivotal session that will tell the tale

Is Fehr and Bettman still involved?? If they are get them out of there.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 pm

This is why I refuse to get excited\optimistic again until I hear the words "a deal has been reached".
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 pm

offsides wrote:

This is why I refuse to get excited\optimistic again until I hear the words "a deal has been reachedsigned".

fify
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 pm

If no deal is reached then I don't see one being reached anytime soon I'm talking about even into the summer.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I think the players came away from the last meeting to happy and optimistic, Fehr advised them to play it cool, and to make it seem like they want to make a deal, but they are just not going to sign anything put in front of them.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

In other news, Donald Fehr poisoned the Easter bunny.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Gaucho wrote:In other news, Donald Fehr poisoned the Easter bunny.

that was uncalled for, but i wouldn't put it past him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
And 13 minutes later...the NHL is out of the meeting room.

That's not good, unless for some ungodly reason it only took 13 minutes to get a confirmation of yes. ugh.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Or they could want to reconvene after talking over with others. I dunno. I hate this crap. I shouldn't care this much.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Owners are back in there...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:26 pm

mikey287 wrote:Owners are back in there...

Burkle needed a timeout to put Jacobs in a headlock?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins