Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Hm. Don't really see how the two are related at all, considering Ghostbusters is clearly more about a franchise legacy thing, and Broken Flowers is just a stand alone entity.

Apparently Hyde Park on Hudson isn't that great either, but he's at least getting good reviews for it.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:50 pm

He's at a point where he can pick and choose his projects and he doesn't have to rely on past successes or conspiracy alien theories.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 pm

The problem with any movie like Ghostbusters is that any sequel is really just going to be a remake of the first film.

Without any doubt in my mind here is a synopsis of the third film: after years of ghost busting retirement some supernatural entity threatens nyc. they have a few scenes of "getting the band back together" along with bringing on new recruits, who possibly have bought into Peter's franchise idea. They all then attempt to investigate the threat and take it down, but not before being summoned to the mayor's office.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The problem with any movie like Ghostbusters is that any sequel is really just going to be a remake of the first film.

Without any doubt in my mind here is a synopsis of the third film: after years of ghost busting retirement some supernatural entity threatens nyc. they have a few scenes of "getting the band back together" along with bringing on new recruits, who possibly have bought into Peter's franchise idea. They all then attempt to investigate the threat and take it down, but not before being summoned to the mayor's office.

I just realized I'd totally watch a Pixar's Ghostbusters. I don't want to see them old and fat, so animate those fatties and I'm down.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm surprised there is so much interest in a new Ghostbusters film. I loved it when I was a kid, but saw it again last year and I thought it had aged terribly and wasn't funny in the least.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LeopardLetang on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:38 pm

i always hated it. couldn't stand bill murray and dan aykroyd
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:31 pm

When you watch the first Ghostbusters after you get older you pick up on a lot of the subtle innuendo and stuff you wouldn't as a kid.

Still one of my favorite movies ever.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time. It's pretty much perfect.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Kevin Smith just announced Clerks III on twitter.

@ThatKevinSmith: So with the HIT SOMEBODY shift, the minute Jeff Anderson signs on, my last cinematic effort as a writer/director will be CLERKS III. #TaDa
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:28 pm

Moneyball. Quality. Every scene was interesting.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:34 pm

nocera wrote:Kevin Smith just announced Clerks III on twitter.

@ThatKevinSmith: So with the HIT SOMEBODY shift, the minute Jeff Anderson signs on, my last cinematic effort as a writer/director will be CLERKS III. #TaDa
holy crap
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 pm

hopefully he brings it closer to clerks than clerks 2.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:06 am

I enjoyed Clerks II.

You are never going to get the charm of the original Clerks, no matter what. It's just not possible, that being said I'd totally be there opening night for a Clerks 3.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 am

LeopardLetang wrote:i always hated it. couldn't stand bill murray and dan aykroyd

They are both geniuses.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:33 am

canaan wrote:
nocera wrote:Kevin Smith just announced Clerks III on twitter.

holy crap

Wow that's awesome. I hope Elias is in this movie. PILLOW PANTS!
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:10 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
LeopardLetang wrote:i always hated it. couldn't stand bill murray and dan aykroyd

They are both geniuses.

A really good friend of mine..... his job is to go grocery shopping for film sets.... He said Bill Murray is the biggest ******* he ever shopped for :lol:

Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks were the coolest/nicest
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:38 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Early reviews for "Les Misérables" are out. Seems to be a mix of impressively overwrought and dull, or mesmerizing greatness. Anne Hathaway is getting much kudos for her role, specifically the "I Dreamed a Dream" sequence, which was apparently shot in close-up as one continuous take.

Regardless, I love the musical and I'm all-in for this.

I dunno, I think there's a partially overwrought element present somewhere in the core of musical theatre to begin with. Obviously it can be taken too far at times (see: Moulin Rouge), but I think in general it's a big part of what can make the genre so uniquely entertaining.

Les Mis, in particular, screams for bombast. The music is (or was) hugely influential on musical theater, and the staging and set design are still impressive 25 years on. To do the stage production any sort of credit, a film version almost has to be a bit ott.

I don't mind that at all.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Communist!!!

nocera wrote:Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time. It's pretty much perfect.

Brother!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Funny thing about kindergarten cop. When the lady cop comes to visit the kids before psycho dad shows up, she sets her purse down on a shelf or something and then walks away to talk to the class. You later see that the purse she casually left sitting there contained a loaded gun. Ha.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Okay, so I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises. It's probably my least favorite of the 3, but still decent.

2 things bothered me enough to mention:
Spoiler:
1. Bane's Voice. LOLbad. Seriously.
2. So the bomb was detonated over the bay... wouldn't there still be terrible environmental effects like fallout and such? I'm not an expert on the subject, but seems like we're still talking a massive ecological disaster even if the city itself was not leveled in the blast.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Just read a few comments on TDKR and I am kinda shocked that this was even a debate:
Spoiler:
There were actually people who thought Bruce Wayne was not alive? I mean seriously?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Trees Lounge (1996):

Steve Buscemi really perfected the role of the drunken loser in that film.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 pm

the wicked child wrote:Just read a few comments on TDKR and I am kinda shocked that this was even a debate:
Spoiler:
There were actually people who thought Bruce Wayne was not alive? I mean seriously?

Spoiler:
I kind of wish it would have ended with Alfred passing a guy who kind of looked like he was maybe Bruce Wayne, but they never showed a good look at him. Alfred turns to look at him again, and the camera stays on his face as he smiles and nods, leaving it sort of open.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

the wicked child wrote:Okay, so I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises. It's probably my least favorite of the 3, but still decent.

2 things bothered me enough to mention:
Spoiler:
1. Bane's Voice. LOLbad. Seriously.
2. So the bomb was detonated over the bay... wouldn't there still be terrible environmental effects like fallout and such? I'm not an expert on the subject, but seems like we're still talking a massive ecological disaster even if the city itself was not leveled in the blast.

Banes voice is amazing...no need to spoil it.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Froggy wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Just read a few comments on TDKR and I am kinda shocked that this was even a debate:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I kind of wish it would have ended with Alfred passing a guy who kind of looked like he was maybe Bruce Wayne, but they never showed a good look at him. Alfred turns to look at him again, and the camera stays on his face as he smiles and nods, leaving it sort of open.

Spoiler:
Agreed. Except, I don't even need to see a maybe Bruce Wayne. All I needed was that shot of Alfred sitting down, spotting something off camera and smiling.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR