2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby viva la ben on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm

So has anyone heard the totally drunk Bernie Kosar on some radio show

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16931809/Bernie
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 pm

What's the deal with the lighting in Oakland
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 pm

So we aren't suppose to talk about the upcoming steeler game in this thread?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:39 pm

joopen wrote:What's the deal with the lighting in Oakland

The West Coast's answer to Nassau County Coliseum.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:45 am

No more kickoffs... According to Mort on some radio stations this is almost 100% likely.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

Ummm... What the heck is this man doing?

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFL’s competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in, essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

This is the best sentence in the article.

Goodell is walking a very fine line between the noble cause of making football safer for the players and bastardizing the very game itself.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 am

joopen wrote:No more kickoffs... According to Mort on some radio stations this is almost 100% likely.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFL’s competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in, essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

Goodell is walking a very fine line between the noble cause of making football safer for the players and bastardizing the very game itself.

Might as well just change the name of the sport to "Ovalball," since the foot is rarely involved in it anymore.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:50 am

If that happens I will have a hard time watching the NFL.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:52 am

joopen wrote:No more kickoffs... According to Mort on some radio stations this is almost 100% likely.

Doesn't have to go through the owners first or at least through the competition committee? There's no way this passes....is there?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 am

JS© wrote:

Doesn't have to go through the owners first or at least through the competition committee? There's no way this passes....is there?

Not sure if this particular rule passes, but Mort said the likelyhood that kickoffs are eliminated is almost 100%
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:23 am

If Kickoffs were going, I would be all for that rule, it would be awesome. Of course, kickoffs going is idiotic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:42 pm

One
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:43 pm

One of the best plays to see is a recovery of an onside kick. This would be a stupid rule change.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm

This is going to place run-and-grind offenses, or teams that are built to operate that way, at a MASSIVE disadvantage. Horribly thought out rule, since when did Greg Schiano become the Oracle of Football?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:08 pm

I rarely use the word "hate," and it seems inappropriate to use it for something as frivolous as football, but yeah, I hate the idea of removing kickoffs. Hate it. If the likelihood is "about 100%," then there are more people than just Goodell who are willing to bastardize the game.

It's easy to believe that the game is so big, powerful, and popular that it could survive many changes, even this--but I don't get the urge to test the hypothesis seemingly every year. A kickoff and return is a dramatic situation that can turn the tide of a game in 10 seconds. Games are sometimes won and lost on special teams.

Not to be outdone, baseball can do its part by removing sliding, flattening bases to be flush with the ground, using pitching machines, and modifying the batters' box so batters don't swing too close to catchers' heads.

Yeah, maybe I'm overdramatizing. :lol: But I still don't like it. 8-)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MWB on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:53 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:This is going to place run-and-grind offenses, or teams that are built to operate that way, at a MASSIVE disadvantage. Horribly thought out rule, since when did Greg Schiano become the Oracle of Football?

I think the idea is very intriguing, but I agree it gives some teams an advantage. Teams like the Patriots, Saints, and maybe the Lions would be in a better position to pick up 15 and retain possession. Heck, even the Redskins with RG3 would be in better position than run-oriented offenses.

That said, I couldn't care less about having the kickoff removed from the game. I'm not a die-hard football fan, so maybe I'm missing some implications, but the kickoffs don't hold that much interest to me.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Seems like there was a bounty out for football players :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 pm

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:This is going to place run-and-grind offenses, or teams that are built to operate that way, at a MASSIVE disadvantage. Horribly thought out rule, since when did Greg Schiano become the Oracle of Football?

I think the idea is very intriguing, but I agree it gives some teams an advantage. Teams like the Patriots, Saints, and maybe the Lions would be in a better position to pick up 15 and retain possession. Heck, even the Redskins with RG3 would be in better position than run-oriented offenses.

That said, I couldn't care less about having the kickoff removed from the game. I'm not a die-hard football fan, so maybe I'm missing some implications, but the kickoffs don't hold that much interest to me.

On second thought, as long as Brandon Banks is returning kickoffs for the 'Skins, I am all for their elimination.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

But Banks is so fast!
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Wouldn't the elimination of kickoffs mean that if your team is down by 2 scores with less than 2 min left and no timeouts, they have 0 ability to win the game (barring a team fumbling the kneel down)?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Its a 4th and 15 I thought and you can either go for it or punt if what I think I read is correct.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Rylan wrote:Its a 4th and 15 I thought and you can either go for it or punt if what I think I read is correct.

So when do they get rid of the punt, since they want to get rid of kickoffs?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm a defense-first football fan and watcher. They changes they've made to that aspect of the game make it almost boring to me now. Every change they propose seems to have the intent of making the game silly.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Totally agree tif. I love watching defense more than just hucking the ball down field every play and scoring 40 points per team. I hate the notion that screen plays are now "basically running plays" for the NFL. No it's not... it's a screen play. A hand off, or in the odd circumstance, a pitch, is a run. A pass is not a run.

It's becoming more and more arena football like. Eliminating kickoffs will definitely dilute my interest more than it already is.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Too bad the NFL is too large to die anytime soon. Cause it feels like its getting really boring to watch the past 4 or so years.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR