Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Godric on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:That's not what you were saying at all, Godric. But like I said, I disagree with what you were originally saying and that it. I'm done with it.

Okay.. I won't pursue it further but I would really appreciate it if you would explain how that isn't what I was saying.... lol.... because thats exactly what I was saying :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:45 pm

This really sucks. The lockout has me reduced to watching the Division 1 football tournament. Sam Houston State at Montana State. :face:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:49 am

offsides wrote:This really sucks. The lockout has me reduced to watching the Division 1 football tournament. Sam Houston State at Montana State. :face:

I've saved so much money on beer and food its crazy Thanks #NHL #NHLPA !!!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 am

I keep hearing all these illusions to the PR battle going on. Why does it matter who's perceived as the god guys with the public? It's not like we're voting for the winner.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 am

Can someone explain to me what union decertification would potentially do? I have read that the owners don't really see it as risky a proposition as the NHLPA sees if for them, but I haven't read one word on how it supposedly could affect the situation if no CBA is signed this year.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 am

kevin allen with the nuts & bolts:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... n/1754971/
Players know if they want to get this show on the road, they can accept a 10-year CBA, with an eight-year opt-out clause, and a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue. Plus, there is a five-year cap on contract lengths with an exception granted for teams trying to re-sign their own restricted and unrestricted free agents. Team can sign those players for seven years. Also, owners insist on a maximum 5% year-to-year variance on multi-year contracts to prevent teams from back-diving contracts. Players would also get $300 million back to ensure that those with previously signed contracts are made whole or somewhat whole.

Now obviously I know that the NHL has officially withdrawn that offer, but I would be willing to bet some of my hockey-related revenue that if Fehr called Bettman tonight and said he would now take that deal the owners offer would would miraculously reappear. Call it a hunch. However, there is definitely an expiration date on the miraculous reappearance

&
Players will have to decide whether the reality is more important than the principle, especially with regard to the five-year cap. It affects a smaller percentage of players, but the vast majority of players it affects are stars.If I had a son just starting out in the NHL, I don't know how I would advise him about the contract cap. But I would tell him that I think players should embrace the owners' plan of a 10-year CBA. I think a 10-year CBA is actually in players' best interest.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:58 am

so basically, the NHLPA rejecting that deal protects the top players who don't need to be protected, and screws most of the players in the union not only out of job certainty, but a year of playing time. Great union there, guys.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Allan Walsh and Jeremy Roenick are now going back and forth on twitter.

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Froggy wrote:so basically, the NHLPA rejecting that deal protects the top players who don't need to be protected, and screws most of the players in the union not only out of job certainty, but a year of playing time. Great union there, guys.

But its all good because they are sooooooooo UNITED!
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:57 pm

I kinda agree with this, after a player plays out his contract he is not going to want to accept less. So even then he will want his next contract as high, even if a owners knows his best years are behind him.

Also i think this might pave the way for KHL teams who can make crazy long term offers to a player that he might concider.

I don't mind the players offer of the 25% rule, but i would rather that upped to 50%
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I think thats a really naive look at the 5 year contract cap. That deal completely screws everyone between the top stars and the players that will be making the league minimum no matter what. Top players are going to have their salaries inflated because the cap hit can't be diluted over length of time. The league minimum players aren't going to be hurt. Who does that leave to take the loss? The middle...aka the vast majority of players.

I don't understand how people think the union is against the 5 year contract thing because of the stars...the stars don't care, their pay in those 5 years isn't going to change vs the pay in the first 5 years of a 10 year contract...though the pay in those next 5 years will be much better than the last 5 years of that 10 year contract. Actually i'm guessing the stars would be in favor of this, but the Union still won't go for it. You get the owners to put that same recent proposal together so that the players can vote on it and you're going to get 400+ voting against it because of that clause.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Well i think alot of players are like anyone else where you would like to have long term security. One injury and you might have to call it quits, that lifer deal looks pretty good then. That 5 year 50 million contract then doesn;t look quite as nice as the 10 yr 100 million. But of course the owners have no restrenght not to offer that. Expeically when you might have a bidding war going on for these players. These deals will come down to dollars and cents at that point. I really do like the NHL clause that the current team can offer longer term to their own players. I don't like to see so much player movement.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 pm

It's crazy to me that they are only now discussing the contract length and possible dip %. Should have started a year ago.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm

This sucks, no college football, i now have to go out shopping and have no hockey on a Saturday night which would have given me something to look forward to while at the malls with all the crazies...
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm

no name wrote:

I kinda agree with this, after a player plays out his contract he is not going to want to accept less. So even then he will want his next contract as high, even if a owners knows his best years are behind him.

I don't think a high-profile player like Crosby or Malkin would take the kind of discount at 5 years that he might take under a 10+ year contract. I'm not sure if that's good or bad for GMs.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know anymore.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#NHLPA Ex Dir Don Fehr’s will speak live 2:30PM ET on @Sportsnet. Live stream available on Sportsnet.ca: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ... -coverage/
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Listening.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Another 1 man show by Don Fehr. I don't know what he is leading up to today...

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
Don Fehr addressing Canadian Auto Workers right now.
:P
good luck!
Last edited by penny lane on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:39 pm

Why is he addressing Canadian Auto Workers, and why does Sportsnet think it needs to be filmed?

This doesn't seem like a "I want to talk about the lockout" thing...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 pm

He's talking about construction workers. Now baseball.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Sarcastic wrote:He's talking about construction workers. Now baseball.

I don't think we're actually getting anything out of this.

This is useless. Just another example of media circling the wagons.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeah, didn't really get anything from that other than background on Fehr.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:54 pm

He was talking about job security and a short time a player enjoys in the league. I find that offensive. Many people go back to school later in life, gain degrees, and do fine. What do these players want. To play for 3 years and be set for the rest of their life!? If you're only 3 years in the league, it means you suck, so you don't really deserve millions ($). The more talented guys who stay in the game play long enough where they make enough, even if not as talented as the stars.

Now. I talked to a buddy of mine not so long ago who's going back to school at 45 years old and jumping to a completely new career. I'll quote: "one last career change before I croak" followed by some genuine laughter.

So spare me the tears, Fehr. I buy none of it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins