2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I don't even want to discuss the joke that was the Jason White Heisman.

But yea, this was way to easy to predict this year. I need intrigue, and there hasn't been much the past few years.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 am

So basically Manziel got the Heisman because Bama decided to try and throw from the 3 yard line on 4th down instead of running the football. Fantastic.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:35 am

Jordan Lynch should have won it :pop:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:23 pm

I knew I'd hear complaining when it didn't go to someone from the ACC.

At least there's still that unbeaten VT Hokies basketball team...

No, wait....
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rocco on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Remember in October when Geno Smith was certainly getting the Heisman?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Rocco wrote:Remember in October when Geno Smith was certainly getting the Heisman?

Remember in September when VT had no nationally recognizable names on the team at all, then in October November December ... Oh yeah, that never changed...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rocco on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:53 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rocco wrote:Remember in October when Geno Smith was certainly getting the Heisman?

Remember in September when VT had no nationally recognizable names on the team at all, then in October November December ... Oh yeah, that never changed...

It's funny, you know I don't normally reply to your drivel despite your constant attempts to get my attention like a puppy desperate to be played with. You aren't worth my time and you get me in trouble because you get free reign to say whatever you'd like, yet this one time I'll reply just to keep you from peeing on RJ's carpet.

I would have given the Heisman to Collin Klein. He was the best QB in the country and played one bad game where his defense played worse. Manziel ran up big numbers against crappy defenses and isn't in the discussion if Bama scores at the goal line. In fact, if Bama scores, the Heisman probably goes to AJ McCarron and Manziel doesn't get an invite. I didn't realize K-State was in the ACC, though now I know thanks to you since you have me labeled as a raging ACC homer. I am nothing like that, though I would expect you to be all over Klein since you proved you could be a raging Big East homer and now you're in a good home. I guess your obsession with the ACC and me isn't that easily satiated. Of course, you don't really care what I say or why I say it, you will simply jump in and take shots at me because I must have kicked your dog at some point in my past. I really don't care. I realized years ago you were a waste of time when you spent posts calling me an idiot and then cried about me making personal attacks. I thought ignoring you would make you go away and yet you persist.

Your attempt to troll isn't even accurate, as Logan Thomas started the year getting Heisman hype before it was apparent he couldn't throw. Then the award was surely Geno Smith's until the nation found out he turns into a scared bunny under pressure. Now I have no interest in replying to your posts ever again and I would kindly like it if you would go find other posters to irritate so I can enjoy my time on this board.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Rocco wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

It's funny, you know I don't normally reply to your drivel despite your constant attempts to get my attention like a puppy desperate to be played with. You aren't worth my time and you get me in trouble because you get free reign to say whatever you'd like, yet this one time I'll reply just to keep you from peeing on RJ's carpet.

I would have given the Heisman to Collin Klein. He was the best QB in the country and played one bad game where his defense played worse. Manziel ran up big numbers against crappy defenses and isn't in the discussion if Bama scores at the goal line. In fact, if Bama scores, the Heisman probably goes to AJ McCarron and Manziel doesn't get an invite. I didn't realize K-State was in the ACC, though now I know thanks to you since you have me labeled as a raging ACC homer. I am nothing like that, though I would expect you to be all over Klein since you proved you could be a raging Big East homer and now you're in a good home. I guess your obsession with the ACC and me isn't that easily satiated. Of course, you don't really care what I say or why I say it, you will simply jump in and take shots at me because I must have kicked your dog at some point in my past. I really don't care. I realized years ago you were a waste of time when you spent posts calling me an idiot and then cried about me making personal attacks. I thought ignoring you would make you go away and yet you persist.

Your attempt to troll isn't even accurate, as Logan Thomas started the year getting Heisman hype before it was apparent he couldn't throw. Then the award was surely Geno Smith's until the nation found out he turns into a scared bunny under pressure. Now I have no interest in replying to your posts ever again and I would kindly like it if you would go find other posters to irritate so I can enjoy my time on this board.

Aw U mad???
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:05 pm

LOL
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:16 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rocco wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Aw U mad???

You're hilarious... Always trying to be the sarcastic contrarian while being one of the biggest shills for a second rate conference that has ever posted on these boards.

Me? You're right, my favorite team plays in the Big XII, the same conference as Colin Kleins Kansas State Wildcats. But unlike you, I won't shill for a conference just to be a 'homer'.

Jonny Manzel plays in the SEC, there is no tougher conference, it's not even debatable. Even though his team plays in that conference he completed 68.3% of his passes (Klein was 66.2), threw for 24 TD's (Klein threw for 15), threw only 8 INT's (Klien threw 7 against weaker competition), rushed for 1,181 yards (Klein had 25% less @ 890).

All of those 'unbreakable records' Cam Newton set in 2010? Klein broke them. AS A FRESHMAN. (In TWO LESS games!)

Oh yeah, and that game where he beat #1 Alabama, the game you tried to blame on a coaching mistake, Manzel engineered the game winning drive in the closing moments of that game.

Your boy Klein? Well he had numbers in the Baylor game that would make Tino Sunseri look like a Heisman candidate. Baylor, not exactly the Alabama defense.

WOOF
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:20 pm

lololol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Anyway, predictions on Tino for the draft?

;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:32 pm

columbia wrote:Anyway, predictions on Tino for the draft?

;)

CFL? Giant Eagle? Walmart stock boy?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:34 pm

According to Sagarin, A&M played the 25th toughest schedule, Klein played the 19th. FWIW
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 pm

They're all possible, certainly.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:59 pm

[quote="ulf"]

The NCAA's own statistics show that based on 'Total Defense', Texas A&M played against the #1 Defense in the country this year (Alabama) and an offense lead by Manzel BEAT THEM. A&M also played against the #5, 8, 12, and 22nd ranked "D"'s on that list.

K State? Kleins K-State played against exactly ONE defense ranked in the top 25, TCU @ #18.

Yeah, I'd say Manzel had the tougher path wouldn't you?
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm not arguing anything, just throwing out a strength of schedule number.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:03 pm

ulf wrote:I'm not arguing anything, just throwing out a strength of schedule number.

Your post was clear, not saying that you're arguing, just showing that the Sagran "Strength of Schedule" stat has little to no value in the context of this discussion.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Kicksave's banning seems like it was a decade ago....hmm
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Well there were arguments based the defenses that the stats were put up against, so i figured it was relevant.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:20 pm

lol. "Oh I know you aren't arguing or else your post wouldn't have been a complete waste of keyboard strokes"
Last edited by DudeMan2766 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 pm

I thought manziel should have won as well. Just pointing out their schedules were similar.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Manziel played 3 defenses that count as worthwhile this year: Florida, LSU and Bama. He was shut down in the 2nd half at home against UF. He threw 3 picks at home against LSU. He was great against Bama, which would mean more against last year's Bama defense and not the defense that got picked apart by Zach Mettenberger the week before. Simply shouting "SEC! SEC!" doesn't ignore the fact he didn't have to play USC or UGA and didn't fare well in 2 of the 3 actual tough tests.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

K-State played the 22nd toughest schedule, A&M the 42nd. The SEC has some awful teams and A&M played them and lit them up. Using the unadjusted numbers from the NCAA that don't take quality of opponents into account is simply lazy. SEC teams tend to have slightly exaggerated defensive numbers due to the lack of offense in their conference. Big 12 defenses look worse by standard numbers due to the presence of pass-happy air raid teams. Manziel played really well for a coach whose offensive system leads to inflated QB stats and piled up the numbers against the teams that couldn't fight back.

Did Klein play like crap against Baylor? Yes. But if one bad game is the disqualifier then Manziel shouldn't have been up there either.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Rocco wrote:Manziel played 3 defenses that count as worthwhile this year: Florida, LSU and Bama.

AWESOME! The number 1, 5, and 8th ranked defenses in the country. Wow, that sure beats Kleins #18 TCU by a wide margin doesnt it? How can you even say that with a straight face counselor?
Rocco wrote: He was shut down in the 2nd half at home against UF.

LMAO

To use your logic, about Defenses, Manzel was a victim of a face mask penalty in the closing minutes against Solomon Patton. Othersiwise they'd have had another possesion.
Rocco wrote: He threw 3 picks at home against LSU. He was great against Bama, which would mean more against last year's Bama defense and not the defense that got picked apart by Zach Mettenberger the week before. Simply shouting "SEC! SEC!" doesn't ignore the fact he didn't have to play USC or UGA and didn't fare well in 2 of the 3 actual tough tests.

'Bama is still the #1 defense, and MANZEL picked them apart!

Unlike Kleins failure against HORRIBLE BAYLOR
Rocco wrote:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

SEC teams tend to have slightly exaggerated defensive numbers due to the lack of offense in their conference.

LOL, "lack of OFFENSE", which means NOTHING when considering the strengths of a QB, QB's don't play agaisnt Offenses (In case you don't know) they play against Defenses, which the Big XII is lacking and the SEC has an ABUNDANCE.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't know what we're yelling about!
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR