Crosby to Switzerland?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby tfrizz on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm

http://www.eliteprospects.com/lockout.php

Elite Prospects certainly thinks so. On Thursday they listed him as rumoured to be heading to Switzerland, and today updated his rumoured destination to be Genève-Servette. If true, he'll be joining fellow locked-out NHLer Logan Couture - and, of course, former Penguin Rico Fata.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,647
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby mikey287 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm

I think it was just a tongue-in-cheek remark by the team in response to - I believe - Logan Couture leaving the team and how they would replace him. Many teams in Switzerland say that the cost of Crosby (plus insurance) would be too great for them to take on.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,101
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Image

Roger Federer!!! :D, swiss chocolate, watches, and famous for being neutral. 8-) :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,061
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Couture - Crosby - Fata

Do it, erm... Hugh Quennec
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:28 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,340
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby JS© on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 pm

they've listed four different teams for him. I don't think it's a case of EliteProspects getting it wrong since they're only relaying the news. It's not like they're reporting stuff reporting from Eklund.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,938
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Figures... Switzerland is soff. :pop:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby offsides on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Sid didn't seem very positive after the latest nonsense. Anyone think this will get him packing his bags pretty soon? I'm thinking no progress in a week or two and he will lace them up somewhere in Europe.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,552
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 am

I think he said a week ago that he was giving it about another week
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,894
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think he said a week ago that he was giving it about another week


I think as long as there is a glimmer of hope to get this resolved, Sid won't be going. If Bettman announces another round of game cancellations, all bets are off.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,036
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Bathgate on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 pm

If he goes to Europe, I want to know the name of the guy that gets cut from the team and loses his source of income to make room for Crosby. It would be a guy that if he reported to North America next September as part of a group of replacement players would be labeled a dirty scab by Crosby and the other NHLers. Shame! Don't do it Sid.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,012
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:35 pm

snort
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I find it funny no one seems to have the same outrage when NHL guys sign to play in the ECHL.

Not singling out Bathgate, just an observation. I've read comments on other boards (TSN.ca is a perfect example), people are raging about NHL players stealing jobs for European players. But not a peep about guys like Gomez, Armstrong and a few others signing with the ECHL and taking roster spots from guys that probably really need the job.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,036
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby joopen on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:54 pm

llipgh2 wrote:I find it funny no one seems to have the same outrage when NHL guys sign to play in the ECHL.

Not singling out Bathgate, just an observation. I've read comments on other boards (TSN.ca is a perfect example), people are raging about NHL players stealing jobs for European players. But not a peep about guys like Gomez, Armstrong and a few others signing with the ECHL and taking roster spots from guys that probably really need the job.


Well, in all fairness, with the 2 examples you cited, they probably should be in the ECHL
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,861
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Crosby recently mentioned his chemistry with Army again. Almost sounded like he wants him back.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 pm

joopen wrote:Well, in all fairness, with the 2 examples you cited, they probably should be in the ECHL


:lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,036
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Bathgate wrote:If he goes to Europe, I want to know the name of the guy that gets cut from the team and loses his source of income to make room for Crosby. It would be a guy that if he reported to North America next September as part of a group of replacement players would be labeled a dirty scab by Crosby and the other NHLers. Shame! Don't do it Sid.


I have asked this many times and never got an answer, are you a caricature of something? I don't even know what, but I can't believe that you actually think the things you say. Also "scabs" don't exist in lockouts, they can only exist in a strike. I'm quite sure that you don't know what you're talking about.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,894
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Bathgate on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Bathgate wrote:If he goes to Europe, I want to know the name of the guy that gets cut from the team and loses his source of income to make room for Crosby. It would be a guy that if he reported to North America next September as part of a group of replacement players would be labeled a dirty scab by Crosby and the other NHLers. Shame! Don't do it Sid.


I have asked this many times and never got an answer, are you a caricature of something? I don't even know what, but I can't believe that you actually think the things you say. Also "scabs" don't exist in lockouts, they can only exist in a strike. I'm quite sure that you don't know what you're talking about.


Don't appreciate the personal attack. I am not a caricature of anything. I'm a realist, not an idealist.

Replacement players would sign individual contracts and authorize a new CBA, probably one close to the latest offer by the owners. Current players would be given the opportunity to come back under that new CBA, so there would be no lockout at that point. If they didn't return, they would be on strike and would probably picket the replacements and yell epithets at them. I do know what I'm talking about.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,012
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

You're not much of a realist if you believe the NHL can survive with replacement players
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:49 pm

I wish I knew more, but how could the replacement players sign a new CBA? Would they create their own PA?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,522
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Bathgate on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm

If it came to actual games with replacements, they would have to charge 1/2 or 1/4 current ticket prices. Maybe they would go with less than 30 teams. There would be a new PA. The idea would be to induce the current players to give up the fight and return (and join the new PA under the new CBA). Possibly just some talk about or initial action toward replacements (like sending invitations to potential replacements) would get the current players to cave. Otherwise, it would probably get messy and ugly. There would be legal actions and counter actions and the courts might block it. Maybe no fans would show up. It would all be very unpredictable. I bet some owners have already talked about the possibility, though.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,012
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Bathgate wrote:If it came to actual games with replacements, they would have to charge 1/2 or 1/4 current ticket prices. Maybe they would go with less than 30 teams. There would be a new PA. The idea would be to induce the current players to give up the fight and return (and join the new PA under the new CBA). Possibly just some talk about or initial action toward replacements (like sending invitations to potential replacements) would get the current players to cave. Otherwise, it would probably get messy and ugly. There would be legal actions and counter actions and the courts might block it. Maybe no fans would show up. It would all be very unpredictable. I bet some owners have already talked about the possibility, though.


They might as well just change the sites for minor league games... basically how it would work anyway, and I would pay over 1/2 for WBS or Nailers games.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby tfrizz on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Bathgate wrote:If it came to actual games with replacements, they would have to charge 1/2 or 1/4 current ticket prices. Maybe they would go with less than 30 teams. There would be a new PA. The idea would be to induce the current players to give up the fight and return (and join the new PA under the new CBA). Possibly just some talk about or initial action toward replacements (like sending invitations to potential replacements) would get the current players to cave. Otherwise, it would probably get messy and ugly. There would be legal actions and counter actions and the courts might block it. Maybe no fans would show up. It would all be very unpredictable. I bet some owners have already talked about the possibility, though.


They might as well just change the sites for minor league games... basically how it would work anyway, and I would pay over 1/2 for WBS or Nailers games.


Something important to keep in mind is the number of AHLers with NHL contracts. That makes them a part of the NHLPA, so they'd be locked out. The only AHL players the owners could use are guys with AHL-only contracts.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,647
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Bathgate wrote:If it came to actual games with replacements, they would have to charge 1/2 or 1/4 current ticket prices. Maybe they would go with less than 30 teams. There would be a new PA. The idea would be to induce the current players to give up the fight and return (and join the new PA under the new CBA). Possibly just some talk about or initial action toward replacements (like sending invitations to potential replacements) would get the current players to cave. Otherwise, it would probably get messy and ugly. There would be legal actions and counter actions and the courts might block it. Maybe no fans would show up. It would all be very unpredictable. I bet some owners have already talked about the possibility, though.


They might as well just change the sites for minor league games... basically how it would work anyway, and I would pay over 1/2 for WBS or Nailers games.


Something important to keep in mind is the number of AHLers with NHL contracts. That makes them a part of the NHLPA, so they'd be locked out. The only AHL players the owners could use are guys with AHL-only contracts.


To play in NHL games, yes, but I don't see why they can't play AHL games in NHL arena's...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Crosby to Switzerland?

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:24 am

Gaucho wrote:You're not much of a realist if you believe the NHL can survive with replacement players


I'd argue that they're failing to survive with the regular players. The difference is I can take my son to see replacements.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, litz2010, skullman80 and 25 guests


e-mail