Why is PA so backwards?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why is PA so backwards?

Postby Godric on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:02 am

Speaking of spirits.... I turn 21 in 38 days and my best friend bought me this to open that day

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 am

OutofFoil wrote:
mac5155 wrote:So, our wedding is in June 2013, a friend just gave us 10 bottles of jacquins vodka, gin, whiskey and scotch. Will it still taste good (I know it's cheap, but I mean notskunked)

It'll just be aged a bit. Spirits don't go bad. That stuff won't get any better though but it's good open bar fare.

What I thought. Yeah, I'd love to get decent spirits but were on a tight budget.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 am

Kaizer wrote:better than south carolina. i stopped there on my way back from new york after thanksgiving, 12 hours driving, about 4 of it through beltway gridlock, and couldnt get a few beers to wind down because they dont sell alcohol on sunday.

/middlefinger

Depends on the county. Tourist friendly counties like Charleston, Richland (Ft. Jackson and Columbia), and Horry (Myrtle Beach) sell on Sunday, but not after a very long prolonged legal battle several years ago. You can't buy liquor on (General) Election Day, however.

My county, which has a famous NASCAR track, doesn't allow for alcohol sales on Sunday. Also can't buy anything other than groceries and medicine before 1:30 PM. 2/3 of Wal-mart is roped off. :face:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 am

I live in California and can buy pretty much anything in the world at a grocery store. Technically, they're supposed to rope off the liquor section after like 11 pm or midnight or something. But they're usually pretty cool about it if you don't appear to be openly drunk.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am

mac5155 wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:
mac5155 wrote:So, our wedding is in June 2013, a friend just gave us 10 bottles of jacquins vodka, gin, whiskey and scotch. Will it still taste good (I know it's cheap, but I mean notskunked)

It'll just be aged a bit. Spirits don't go bad. That stuff won't get any better though but it's good open bar fare.

What I thought. Yeah, I'd love to get decent spirits but were on a tight budget.

cheap(er) liquor is the way to go. i didnt even have liquor at my wedding...just beer and wine. saved a ton of coin that way.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 am

canaan wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:

cheap(er) liquor is the way to go. i didnt even have liquor at my wedding...just beer and wine. saved a ton of coin that way.

My family loves crown, drinks it like water. So, since the most amount of people will be drinking that, I splurged there. However, the non-whiskey drinkers will be getting jacquins vodka, peach schnapps, gin, and scotch, as well as captain morgan and bacardi (just because I bought while on sale and had a good mail-in-rebate deal).

My dad went to HS with the guy that owns the beer distributor in town, and he'll give me however many kegs I want, allowing me to return whatever is unused. I'm still up in the air about how to do wine, cause I dont drink it. Boxed wine?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

boxed wine has a crappy reputation, but it is no worse than the other wines at that price point. that being said, i would go with large bottles of a red and a white (a couple of each) just for the small contigency that drinks solely wine. i severely underestimated the wine drinkers at my wedding at ran out of white wine extremely early. i dont know if people liked wine or just wanted something stronger than beer.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

I feel like we're severely overestimating the liquor/wine because I'm paranoid about running out. i.e. I bought 4 gallons each of captain and bacardi, as well as crown. We got the rest of the stuff (jacquins) given to us, now only have to buy maybe a few things of schnapps
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:31 am

canaan wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:

I mean yeah people will drink whatever booze you have there but getting mid-shelf (jack, skyy, captain, bacardi) isn't a terrible thing... we spent ~$1200 on booze (wine, beer, spirits) for our wedding and returned about $350 worth of it. I know from going to weddings I don't mind drinking well stuff like jacquins but I do know it's awful and I'll have one of the worst hangovers ever the next day. The entire wedding (176 people) cost us right around $16k. The booze was a splurge but not a terrible splurge. We had 34 liters of wine (only needed about 28-29 liters), 6 handles of skyy, 4 handles of jack, 4 of captain, 2 of bacardi (ran out of captain). We had 2 kegs of beers (miller lite and Yuengling) and had almost all of that left, the place we had our wedding actually got the next party to buy the kegs of beers because there was so much left. But hey if you got that much booze for free why not use it. If your free booze aren't good enough for someone they don't have to drink it. Sorry I rambled on but it's still fresh in my mind.

edit: had 1 handle of peach schnapps, 1 5th of generic irish cream, 1 5th of generic khalua, and 1 handle of tequila.

edit edit: boxed wine is fine. We had White Zin, Cabernet, Pinot, and Merlot. Less of the reds, more of the white/blush
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 am

Lol, yeah Im only using it cause it was free. If it wasn't free though you best believe we wouldnt be buying handles of Ketel One, they'd be getting Smirnoff. I splurged on the whiskey, got 5 handles of it to boot, so hopefully it lasts.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am

No moonshine Mac? I am disappoint.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am

can't talk about that on here :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 pm

My county in SC finally allowed all Sunday sales. Could be worse, Bergen County in NJ, adjacent to NYC, doesn't allow most retail stores open and Paramus NJ, everything is closed on Sundays. Not sure how one of the wealthiest counties in the country across the river from NYC can still have blue laws on the books like that. We always ended up going to Rockland County, NY to shop on weekends because there weren't any good retail stores anyways in Bergen. Can't imagine how many tax dollars have been lost by not being open on Sunday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR