Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby tfrizz on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Duhatschek: Owners have only themselves to blame

The players will win because the players always win.

The players won in 1994-95, even if the consensus was they lost by surrendering to a punitive rookie salary cap and other major concessions.

The players won in 2004-05, even though the consensus was that by agreeing to a hard salary cap, they got clobbered by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman at the negotiating table.

The players will win because the minute the ink is dry on a new collective agreement, agents and general managers will find clever ways to circumvent the spirit and language of the new deal.

This is the unchanging way of the NHL world, where 30 teams annually compete for one prize. Team owners get frustrated by losing and eventually instruct the people who work for them to do whatever it takes to stop losing.

He makes a pretty good point. No matter how good the owners feel with whatever they get in the CBA, their GMs and the players' agents are going to find ways to mess it all up - just like they always do.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Now we've got the official Pens Twitter feed wishing Joe Morrow a belated happy birthday. Is this allowed? I'm only half-kidding.

Between the pens twitter feed, rossi, dejan and madden I'm not quite sure how anyone in this town can actually follow hockey.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm

So past failure is a guarantee of future failure?

Sound advice for all walks of life.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:At least schedule a f***ing meeting you stupid ****ing sons of ****ous *******. I've ****ing had it it with you **** ** ******* arseholes. Dammit.

Love that you were to sure to spell "***" "arse"
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Was just thinking about this. With this round of cancellations, the players have given up $1.6B in salaries. The owners have given up collective net profits of around $30M. no matter how these negotiations play out, the owners have won decisively even if they took the last player's proposal to the word.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Was just thinking about this. With this round of cancellations, the players have given up $1.6B in salaries. The owners have given up collective net profits of around $30M. no matter how these negotiations play out, the owners have won decisively even if they took the last player's proposal to the word.

$1.6 billion in salaries? Are you sure you aren't talking about estimated NHL revenue lost? The Players made a total of about $1.7 billion last season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:28 pm

JS© wrote:Image

I miss that show
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 pm

@ian_mendes

Interesting to note that @SBJLizMullen reporting that next round of NHL talks could be overseen by a federal mediator, as per union request.

Only reason I see the mediators as being necessary at this point is to get Fehr and Bettman to play nice. They're close enough that they could work it out by themselves, but the owners' side HAS to be able to work with Fehr, again given that they're close enough.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm

MRandall25 wrote:@ian_mendes

Interesting to note that @SBJLizMullen reporting that next round of NHL talks could be overseen by a federal mediator, as per union request.

Only reason I see the mediators as being necessary at this point is to get Fehr and Bettman to play nice. They're close enough that they could work it out by themselves, but the owners' side HAS to be able to work with Fehr, again given that they're close enough.

Bettman didn't sound like they were very close when he made his statement. Although Bettman didn't deny, Fehrs claim that they were in agreement on the economics. If they are crying over the 5 year deals, i think that is a bit much for the owners to hold onto. 5% varience fine, but 5 year deals max i can't see that stopping a deal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MilPenFan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm

I have become a Penguins fan but I live in Wisconsin and am relatively new to hockey. You guys must be livid over there potentially missing an entire season while you have two of the games best players on your team in their primes. What a kick in the pants it must be if we lose the season. I miss watching hockey, so do my boys. My 6 year old keeps asking me when we are going to watch games together like we did last year.
MilPenFan

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 am

Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, according to LeBrun.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Roman Hamrlik just told me on http://nextsportstar.com that he would support the NHLPA taking a vote on the owners last offer.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 am

MilPenFan wrote:I have become a Penguins fan but I live in Wisconsin and am relatively new to hockey. You guys must be livid over there potentially missing an entire season while you have two of the games best players on your team in their primes. What a kick in the pants it must be if we lose the season. I miss watching hockey, so do my boys. My 6 year old keeps asking me when we are going to watch games together like we did last year.

Welcome!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am

MilPenFan wrote:I have become a Penguins fan but I live in Wisconsin and am relatively new to hockey. You guys must be livid over there potentially missing an entire season while you have two of the games best players on your team in their primes. What a kick in the pants it must be if we lose the season. I miss watching hockey, so do my boys. My 6 year old keeps asking me when we are going to watch games together like we did last year.

I dont care all that much. As long as the team is entertaining me ill be a fan. I obviously want them to win the cup, but im not that tied up in it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 am

All i can picture now when i think of cheap shots happenning because players "have no respect", which i think is bs anyway...anyway, when i think of that now, i think of roman hamrlik.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 pm

That would assume Hamrlik actually plays... IIRC he was a scratch a lot/played 3rd pairing minutes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm

More on decertification and other things:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411412
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Did they just change the date on an old article? I swear i read that last month.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm

They had a long piece on decertification a couple of weeks ago, iirc.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I guess thats what im remembering. My disinterest is starting to subside and i want hockey again. Maybe thats just because they are getting seemingly close
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Gaucho wrote:They had a long piece on decertification a couple of weeks ago, iirc.

Yeah i swear that article sounds familiar, there is nothing going on today they just wanted an article posted. The NHL didn't seem worried when asked about decertification of the union, from what i read its highly unlikely until the season is officially canceled.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I guess thats what im remembering. My disinterest is starting to subside and i want hockey again. Maybe thats just because they are getting seemingly close

I know that I'll be giddy with joy when the lockout ends. A part of me hates myself for it, because it confirms the league's attitude of taking me for granted.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
James Neal has returned to Southpointe, joining the 12 penguins from Monday. They are 87, 29, 44, 46, 2, 5, 6, 9, 24, 48, 14 and 27

James Neal says he didn't return to Pittsburgh now because he feels lockout is about to end: "It doesn't indicate anything."

Well, what else is he supposed to say?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I guess thats what im remembering. My disinterest is starting to subside and i want hockey again. Maybe thats just because they are getting seemingly close

I know that I'll be giddy with joy when the lockout ends. A part of me hates myself for it, because it confirms the league's attitude of taking me for granted.

wow i couldn't of said it better myself. I want the lockout to end, and if i had any will power i would love to punish the NHL without my support. But i know i will cave and be just the same die hard hockey fan.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 pm

i've become cynical about hockey. I don't want to see smiling faces of bettman/fehr, or a handshake.
Any monies lost by the owners will be made up on hockey tickets.

Miss seeing the guys, but I won't blindly go to the consol just waiting to spend money on hockey.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins