MicroSD Card for MP3 storage

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

MicroSD Card for MP3 storage

Postby Defence21 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:18 pm

So I'm looking to rip all my CDs to MP3 format and don't want to use my hard drive for storage. I'm thinking a MicroSD card is going to be the cheapest option -- plus I can keep the card permanently in my laptop, which means it won't get lost (and it takes up zero space). Aside from the limitations (storage capacity), is there anything I should know about using this option to store music? From everything I have seen, it's a perfectly suitable option...am I right?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: MicroSD Card for MP3 storage

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 pm

If I were going to start ripping my CDs, I wouldn't use MP3 - I'd use flac. In fact, after I bought a pair of decent tower speakers last year I began doing it anyway (and bought a few DVD-As and SACDs too, though unfortunately SACD isn't really rippable).

Buying an external hard drive would almost certainly be cheaper on a per GB basis. You said microsd but did you mean SD? microsd is about as big as your pinkie nail and I don't think they are available above 32 or maybe 64gb now. I know a 128gb SD card costs around $100 - you could buy a 2,000gb usb drive for less than that.

If you are getting into the larger cards you have to make sure that your computer will be able to read them. I would think a PC could, but many portable devices will not be able to read the high capacity cards.

A 500 CD collection ripped to MP3 will probably use around 40gb. Just as a reference point. That is assuming 80 megabytes per disc - roughly what a disc 12 song album of 320kbps MP3s would take up.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Yes and no.

Buy quality. Memory manufactures are your best bet. Don't buy from those cheapo companies who slap their label onto someone else's memory. Stick with Kingston/Crucial etc....

Speed is going to be a factor also. ...and with speed comes compatibility issues with hardware... home and car.

Do you research. ...and then research some more. These technologies change and double in size and badwidth by the month. Keep that in mind also.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Write times on an SD card compared to say an eSata external drive would be like riding a pedal bike vs. an Indy car.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

who is the cyclist?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR