Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Gonna be aired on ABC Dec 21 and Dec 28, looks like it will be good

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/eviden ... d=17884533
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Old news. The Bible already reported it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,988
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Image
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,359
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby CBear3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Could be entertaining. Like the article mentions, just about every society has a Flood narrative, and most are chalked up to the wrath of the God(s). It's possible those are all references to similar local flooding, but most of those floods were cyclical in nature. I've kind of always leaned towards the possibility of a Great Flood as the source of Noah then due it's once in a forever occurance.

Even as a Catholic, I love the historical/archaeological Biblical studies. The fact that you can with some accuracy trace back to Jesus of Nazareth, the teacher/prophet, has always wowed me. While His divinity can obviously never be proven (much more probable to disprove it by removing God from the creation) the historical narrative has always captivated me.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,517
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I hope they find the monolith at the bottom of the sea...that would be crazy
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,258
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:35 pm

im looking forward to the Coast to Coast AM show on the night of the 21st. I imagine they'll drag out an allstar pseduoscientist lineup
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,359
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Spangler on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 pm

After reading the article, I believe, the story of Noah happened, just not nearly like how we perceive it.

When the statement of world flooding is mentioned, I think it's entirely possible that the "world" refers to what the people knew of the world at this time. The flooding could have just been a regional thing, and with little outside contact, an entire region could seem like the entire world. During this time, they had no idea what was happening in South America or even East Asian. This opens up a more plausible "gathering two of every animal" scenario.

I'm just in the strong believe that many things in the bible happened, just not like how we imagined at all. The Bible has been passed along and translated by many different hands and influences. During the time of illiterate societies, who's to say section weren't omitted or edited to best suit who ever was in power.

I saw a video on youtube of a guest lecturer talking about the idea of perhaps an alien society genetically modifying what we are today. I'm not going to begin to try to explain because it will just seem as ridiculous as you would think, but he brought up some good points that blew my mind.

In fact I feel like an idiot for even bringing it up, but I can't help but to think, "what if?"
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,340
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:31 am
Location: www.reviewjunkies.com

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm

I've never had a problem believing there was a massive eff off flood in Judea all those moons ago. The difference is I also believe that the story of Noah was an attempt to explain the inexplicable using the only mechanism the people of ancient Judea had at their disposal: superstitious hocus-pocus. It does not automatically mean that the source of the flood was an angry god bent on destroying all the animals in the world (except the floating ones, and the swimming ones).

CBear3 wrote:Even as a Catholic, I love the historical/archaeological Biblical studies.

Same here..... except replace Catholic with atheist. It's fascinating stuff, no matter what your belief system.

Spangler wrote:I saw a video on youtube of a guest lecturer talking about the idea of perhaps an alien society genetically modifying what we are today. I'm not going to begin to try to explain because it will just seem as ridiculous as you would think, but he brought up some good points that blew my mind.

PROMETHEUS IS REAL :shock:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,046
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 am

The problem is the person of Noah was not living in Judea. The Jews don't make there way over there until Abram.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Aloha Means Goodbye

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:The problem is the person of Noah was not living in Judea. The Jews don't make there way over there until Abram.


The Bible doesn't give an account of where he lived but your point still stands as "Judea" wasn't created until after the division of Israel a couple thousand years later.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,044
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm

GAWD ISSINT RREEL! EBBAHLUSHINS IS SYANCE! EVRYTHIN IS ALWAYS ABSOLOOTE!
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,226
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:57 pm

wut
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,988
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I hope you Catholic guys know that all that stuff, the flood, the resurrection, the walking on water, the turning water into wine, the virgin birth, etc.. are copied straight from Sumarian and Egyptian stories. As a sorta Catholic, this is troubling to me because it feels like whoever was trying to put our religion together, literally, sat down with a bunch of scrolls and old stories, created a character, and there it was. Fact that we know so little of Jesus until he became older is peculiar. I have a problem understanding how a person can give themselves fully to a single idea, single religion, and put aside the rest. A better idea for God worship, if you want to do that, would be to look at all religions and accept there is one God and that customs vary.

So was there a flood? Well, historically, yeah, that's what scientists tell us. Not much to do with religion, IMO.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:19 pm

I agree it has little to do with religion.

As to not knowing much of Jesus until he was older (about 30 years old) is because in Judaism, especially back then, a man would not be recognized as a teacher until he was 30 years old. His earthly ministry made more sense to start at 30. Sure, there could have been scripture about his life until then but it would probably be boring. He was a carpenter. He made tables and chairs....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,044
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I hope you Catholic guys know that all that stuff, the flood, the resurrection, the walking on water, the turning water into wine, the virgin birth, etc.. are copied straight from Sumarian and Egyptian stories. As a sorta Catholic, this is troubling to me because it feels like whoever was trying to put our religion together, literally, sat down with a bunch of scrolls and old stories, created a character, and there it was. Fact that we know so little of Jesus until he became older is peculiar. I have a problem understanding how a person can give themselves fully to a single idea, single religion, and put aside the rest. A better idea for God worship, if you want to do that, would be to look at all religions and accept there is one God and that customs vary.

So was there a flood? Well, historically, yeah, that's what scientists tell us. Not much to do with religion, IMO.


Of course the Sumerians and Egyptians could have just received their teachings from the same sources the Jews did.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Aloha Means Goodbye

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Not if the stories pre date the 1st century as 2/3 examples he mentioned occurred then.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,044
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:34 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Not if the stories pre date the 1st century as 2/3 examples he mentioned occurred then.


Yeah. If we look at the virgin birth or the resurrection or the wine or the presence of the 'messiah', those all were written about much much earlier - thousands of years earlier. So much of most important Christian history, stories attributed to Jesus, is copied from earlier civilizations. I am positive Jesus existed in his time - son of God? well, we'll find out when we die. Problem I have is with the way the Bible was written. If so much is copied - well, unless it occured 'again' with this not being Jesus' first stop - then what does it say about it all. New religion was forming, yet there were different tribes and schools, so the leaders were locked in a room and forced to stay inside until they reached an agreement on what was going into this book being written, with about half of it being rejected as it conflicted with the desired message. I find religion fascinating if only from the historical standpoint.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Sarcastic wrote:so the leaders were locked in a room and forced to stay inside until they reached an agreement


I approve.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,988
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Not if the stories pre date the 1st century as 2/3 examples he mentioned occurred then.


Yeah. If we look at the virgin birth or the resurrection or the wine or the presence of the 'messiah', those all were written about much much earlier - thousands of years earlier. So much of most important Christian history, stories attributed to Jesus, is copied from earlier civilizations. I am positive Jesus existed in his time - son of God? well, we'll find out when we die. Problem I have is with the way the Bible was written. If so much is copied - well, unless it occured 'again' with this not being Jesus' first stop - then what does it say about it all. New religion was forming, yet there were different tribes and schools, so the leaders were locked in a room and forced to stay inside until they reached an agreement on what was going into this book being written, with about half of it being rejected as it conflicted with the desired message. I find religion fascinating if only from the historical standpoint.


Where did you hear this?
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Aloha Means Goodbye

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:Where did you hear this?


I don't know what part you're referring to (locked in or many writings being rejected) but I watch a lot of documentaries on religion (and ufo's hehe) on Netflix or channels like Learning or Discovery. Don't ask me which one specifically mentioned they were locked in because I couldn't remember, but whether it is true or not, one thing's for certain and that's that they were forced to come up to an agreement because the whole thing was becoming problematic. If you meant the second thing, I would think it is common knowledge that much of what was around at the time never made it in the Bible. I heard a number of priests speak about that.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Not if the stories pre date the 1st century as 2/3 examples he mentioned occurred then.


Yeah. If we look at the virgin birth or the resurrection or the wine or the presence of the 'messiah', those all were written about much much earlier - thousands of years earlier. So much of most important Christian history, stories attributed to Jesus, is copied from earlier civilizations. I am positive Jesus existed in his time - son of God? well, we'll find out when we die. Problem I have is with the way the Bible was written. If so much is copied - well, unless it occured 'again' with this not being Jesus' first stop - then what does it say about it all. New religion was forming, yet there were different tribes and schools, so the leaders were locked in a room and forced to stay inside until they reached an agreement on what was going into this book being written, with about half of it being rejected as it conflicted with the desired message. I find religion fascinating if only from the historical standpoint.


I disagree 100% but you already knew that :D :fist:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,044
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Evidence a big flood occured during Noah's time

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 pm

From what I understand the reason so many of the writings that were rejected were rejected is that the vast majority of them were so obviously fakes, forgeries, etc that they were tossed away for those reasons. Not because it didn't jive with the "narrative".
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Aloha Means Goodbye


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

e-mail