Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:28 am

I've played it for a grand total of 5 minutes, but the new Battlefield 3 DLC Aftermath is pretty good. Much better feel than Armored Kill.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:27 pm

malkinshair wrote:I really wish Bethesda would get their collective crap together so that ps3 people could get some DLC.

I don't know if the earlier ones will make it, but the "Dragonborn" DLC is supposed to be PS3 compatible.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Rylan wrote:If you get it for the single player, then it was pretty fun though that alone isn't worth the $60. But its become the typical frustrating multiplayer since I don't play it enough to get good at it. So you end up having those that play a lot plus the annoying 12 year olds who absolutely destroy. Couple that with the complete repetitiveness of everything and it gets old fast. At least for me it did. Like today I played 3 games and all three my team ended up having the opposing team in our spawn and killing everyone before there was a chance to react. That stuff angers me to no end and I will probably only play from now on if my roommates tell me to.

Honestly, I don't know what you are looking for in a game, but Far Cry 3 is an awesome experience. Not just the single player (which for the record is quite enjoyable and satisfying) but the multiplayer is a good time. And my favorite part about it is in about 3 to 4 months you will begin to see a lot of User made maps that will help freshen up the game. So if you are going to drop $50 bucks on a shooter, I recommend Far Cry.

That recommendation is based on you not having a bunch of friends clamoring for you to get Black Ops II

i have a squad that i usually roll with
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Then get BOPS II
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah I play Blops with a group of friends and it is a lot of fun to make fun of each other. If they stopped playing - I would probably only get the game when it goes on sale for around 30 (if they ever do). I enjoy the single player and playing online sometimes on my own. I think during peak later night times - especially with a group - it gets unbearable to play as there will be bad connections, switching hosts, bad lag, errors and difficulty loading a game with everyone, etc etc etc.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 pm

I picked up Katamari Forever on PS3 a couple weeks ago, and i finally got around to playing it tonight. It's more of the same... if you like Katamari, you'll like this. i did like the one stage where i rolled up a katamari 12,000 km in size that was literally pulling stars and constellations from outer space. there is something very satisfying about that.

edit: just saw there is an even bigger stage where you get up to 2 million km... that is just silly
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:02 am

Ok, Aftermath is pretty cool. I played a long round where there were random aftershocks during gameplay. Very nice feature. The DLC takes place in post-earthquake Tehran.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby malkinshair on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Shyster wrote:
malkinshair wrote:I really wish Bethesda would get their collective crap together so that ps3 people could get some DLC.

I don't know if the earlier ones will make it, but the "Dragonborn" DLC is supposed to be PS3 compatible.

Just read about it...encouraging news, at least.

So I started the new character the other day after 205 hours of an archery/dual-wielding dagger/stealth/rogue/assassin. I did pretty much everything but the College of Winterhold (didn't use magic), and become a vampire.

I want my new character to use magic...though not exclusively. Well, I was playing for about 2 hours the other night...and enjoying the crap out of it! I forgot what it was like to stress about random encounters/clearing dungeons. It's like a totally different game. I'm already figuring out which spell direction I want to go. Unfortunately, I also forgot that I turned off the autosave (didn't need it much when you don't die). I died. Last save was the execution scene at Helgen. :face:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Hmm, have there been any patches that have changed Skyrim since release?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

There have been quite a few Skyrim patches. While most of them were bug fixes and optimizations, I believe a patch was used to add the kill-cam animations for spells and arrows. Steam is set to keep my game up to date, so I don’t really notice how many patches it’s applying.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Okay, so, I guess you sort of beat me to my next question, which was going to be have any of the patches made substantive changes. In particular, I was hoping that the gameplay could somehow be made more difficult and/or that worthwhile random world drop items/reagents/etc. were somehow integrated. It doesn't sound like that is the case. Right?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Loaf31 wrote:The Last of Us finally has a release date, May 7th, I can't wait for that game and Rainbow Six Patriots

Awesome, i cant wait until its 20 bucks or less. I must be getting old, 59.99 is just too much money to buy a game anymore.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Loaf31 wrote:The Last of Us finally has a release date, May 7th

The stuff that's been released so far is positively bonkers. Plus it will be fun to play a game set in Pittsburgh.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Kraftster wrote:Okay, so, I guess you sort of beat me to my next question, which was going to be have any of the patches made substantive changes. In particular, I was hoping that the gameplay could somehow be made more difficult and/or that worthwhile random world drop items/reagents/etc. were somehow integrated. It doesn't sound like that is the case. Right?

Not that I know of. If you're on the PC, there are mods to do stuff like that. For console versions, not so much.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Shyster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Okay, so, I guess you sort of beat me to my next question, which was going to be have any of the patches made substantive changes. In particular, I was hoping that the gameplay could somehow be made more difficult and/or that worthwhile random world drop items/reagents/etc. were somehow integrated. It doesn't sound like that is the case. Right?

Not that I know of. If you're on the PC, there are mods to do stuff like that. For console versions, not so much.

PS3 :(
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Shyster wrote:The Steam distribution system is excellent. I haven’t bought a PC game via anything else for years.

Ditto here. Altho I'm presently full of grrrrrrr over EA's electronic distro system, Origin. Bought "Medal of Honor Warfighter" on black Friday and am about 4 hours in, and now I can't load my savegame file. Sweet.

But Steam is da bidness.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:44 pm

There is a cool free game for Plus members on PSN right now.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Ending to Far Cry 3 was meh.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:The Steam distribution system is excellent. I haven’t bought a PC game via anything else for years.

Ditto here. Altho I'm presently full of grrrrrrr over EA's electronic distro system, Origin. Bought "Medal of Honor Warfighter" on black Friday and am about 4 hours in, and now I can't load my savegame file. Sweet.

But Steam is da bidness.

Origin is an abortion
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Rylan wrote:Ending to Far Cry 3 was meh.

Wait a second. You already finished? You told me Far Cry 2 could take a couple months and now you finish this 3rd edition in a week? Is it that much shorter or have I misunderstood something about the previous one?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Rylan wrote:Ending to Far Cry 3 was meh.

Wait a second. You already finished? You told me Far Cry 2 could take a couple months and now you finish this 3rd edition in a week? Is it that much shorter or have I misunderstood something about the previous one?

I had a ton of time to play this. The other one I would play are hour or two and over the course of a few months I beat it. This one, well, it didn't take as long.

I liked the story of Far Cry 2 better. The characters in Far Cry 3 were completely meh and it showed in the story. It felt like your typical Hollywood movie where an average Joe loses his humanity and turns into a finely tuned killing machine. Fun for awhile, but at the end of a very bland story it just didn't seem to work.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Black Ops 2 online play is broken.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Is it just me or has story in video games really gotten stale/down right terrible the last few years? Maybe I am getting tired of video games or something, but very few games have a plot worth going through anymore.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Aside from Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, I haven't played a game with a good story since KOTOR (speaking of, I decided to replay it for the 3rd time over break)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Killzone is up there for me. (Shut up haters)

Alpha Protocol is such a great and underrated game. (Where has chefpatrick been lately?)

AC is good, haven't played the 3rd one

Mass Effect 2 was good (the only one I have played)

and the Uncharteds are awesome.

Outside of that, Skyrim was a let down (it wasn't Oblivion which wasn't Morrowind), Far Cry 3 was a great game but terrible story. Rage was a good game with terrible story.

I just wish games were equal amounts of Story and Gameplay. Good story can cover up adequate gameplay more than gameplay can make up for story
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR