Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ulf on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 pm

2 shooters? Good god. Glad they got one alive.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:09 pm

So so so sad.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Just absolutely horrific....I feel sick
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Earlier reports of a second gunman are unconfirmed. The Connecticut Post reports that police are also questioning a handcuffed man in connection with the shooting. Witnesses told the newspaper he was led out of the woods by officers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14/po ... z2F3EmOIJt
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Watching CBS live feed. The story of the SWAT team sweeping the building and finding the bodies is hearbreaking.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Not the time and place for gun law politics.

This. And those that don't comply will be sitting this one out.

Horrifying.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm

a father of a student might be the gunman...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

eddysnake wrote:a father of a student might be the gunman...

CBS is reporting there was possibly a confrontation in the school's office between administrators and 1 gunman prior to the shooting. They are trying to confirm.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Just for some perspective, Columbine, which was always the most prominent school shooting in my lifetime, had a total of 13 casualties.

Think about that for a second. Anyone who was around the same age as me, Columbine was (and still is) a big deal. 13 killed.

27, including 18 children is beyond horrifying. Double the amount of casualties, including most at a younger age than Columbine?

wow.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't get it. Is this the first time a shooting like this has occurred at an elementary school? What could possibly motivate someone to kill innocent kids? As twisted as it is, I can somewhat fathom the the psychology involved in a high school shooting; but an elementary school??
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:23 pm

i usually see the reasoning behind these acts. i don't approve it, and i condemn it, but i understand it somewhat. this...i don't know. how can an adult shoot children? young children. this is stunning.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I don't get it. Is this the first time a shooting like this has occurred at an elementary school? What could possibly motivate someone to kill innocent kids? As twisted as it is, I can somewhat fathom the the psychology involved in a high school shooting; but an elementary school??

Jonesboro shooting in the late 90's was at an Elementary school.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:25 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I don't get it. Is this the first time a shooting like this has occurred at an elementary school? What could possibly motivate someone to kill innocent kids? As twisted as it is, I can somewhat fathom the the psychology involved in a high school shooting; but an elementary school??

Yeah. At least you could trace the Bridgeville gym shooting to the shooter's inability to deal with young, pretty women. Psychotic, yes. Justifiable, not even close. Deserving of torture, absolutely. But traceable? Sure--you kind of got it.

Kindergarteners are the most innocent people in the world. They bring joy to all. How in the world could anyone harbor animus--even irrational animus--towards young children.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 pm

RT @Suntimes: ABC News reports 1 shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary was a 24-year-old in a bulletproof vest with 4 guns. #developing
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:i usually see the reasoning behind these acts. i don't approve it, and i condemn it, but i understand it somewhat. this...i don't know. how can an adult shoot children? young children. this is stunning.

ONLY thing I can see is that this guy, who some reports say was from NJ, was seperated and was not allowed to see his kid. He went there with the intention to take the kid away, the office staff intervened and he killed them then figured he was never going to see his kid again so he decided that no one else should see their kids again too. It's a completely sick reason but sick people do sick things.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm

@AP
The Conn. school shooting suspect is a 20-year-old man with ties to the school, a law enforcement official says:

@mpoppel: AP: Gun used in massacre is a .223-caliber rifle
Last edited by Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Completely shocking.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:What the **** is wrong with people?

Evil

:thumb:

It exists. God give them solace and strength
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Even with all the conflicting rumors, it's obvious this is a new level of horrific-ness. What possessed someone to go into an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL and start shooting. What did those 6-8 year olds do?

It's incredibly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved, especially to the families and loved ones of those who died.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CBear3 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm

npv708 wrote:Just for some perspective, Columbine, which was always the most prominent school shooting in my lifetime, had a total of 13 casualties.

Columbine was a pair of high school kids with high school problems, shooting other high school kids. It was different because of how bad it could have been and it was "kids" causing all this destruction.
Not saying its worse than this, but I was in college and we all looked at each and wondered how anybody could want to cause that much pain at roughly our age.

There isn't a hell got enough for those that did this
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:37 pm

The media won't learn from its past mistakes. They'll do what they always do. Post this guys mug and name all over the place, interview his neighbors, his parents, his high school classmates, his gas station attendant, they'll post pics of his house and apartment, talk about his guns, talk about his childhood.

When will we stop glorifying these psychopaths as anti-heroes? I don't want to know his name. I don't want to see his face. I don't give a rats behind what his mom has to say, or his neighbors.

Make him anonymous ghost. Stop giving publicity out. You'd think this country would learn after the Virginia Tech killer said that he was happy about the publicity he'd receive for the killing.

Sensationalism is at an all time high in this country. Media is a vulture. They're out there right now interviewing NINE YEAR OLD KIDS about what happened. I don't know how these producers can sleep at night. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Children certainly don't bring joy to all. And I can see people being annoyed by them. Therefore I can make a link to crazy people hating them to the point of doing something like this. However, I suspect the person's motivation didn't have much to do directly with the children. It is probably a parent of one of the kids, upset over a great number of things, that wasn't sane.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:40 pm

@DLeonhardt
Of the country's 12 deadliest shooting attacks, six have now occurred since 2007
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yubb on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Jesse wrote:The media won't learn from its past mistakes. They'll do what they always do. Post this guys mug and name all over the place, interview his neighbors, his parents, his high school classmates, his gas station attendant, they'll post pics of his house and apartment, talk about his guns, talk about his childhood.

When will we stop glorifying these psychopaths as anti-heroes? I don't want to know his name. I don't want to see his face. I don't give a rats behind what his mom has to say, or his neighbors.

Make him anonymous ghost. Stop giving publicity out. You'd think this country would learn after the Virginia Tech killer said that he was happy about the publicity he'd receive for the killing.

Sensationalism is at an all time high in this country. Media is a vulture. They're out there right now interviewing NINE YEAR OLD KIDS about what happened. I don't know how these producers can sleep at night. They should be ashamed of themselves.

It's hard to do that when the first question we all ask is "Why?" The worst thing is the tragedy. The second worst thing is not knowing why someone did it. To try and figure that out, we ask questions about the person, and we end up glorifying him/her in the process.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Jesse wrote:The media won't learn from its past mistakes. They'll do what they always do. Post this guys mug and name all over the place, interview his neighbors, his parents, his high school classmates, his gas station attendant, they'll post pics of his house and apartment, talk about his guns, talk about his childhood.

Natural Born Killers...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR