Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby npv708 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

CBear3 wrote:
npv708 wrote:Just for some perspective, Columbine, which was always the most prominent school shooting in my lifetime, had a total of 13 casualties.

Columbine was a pair of high school kids with high school problems, shooting other high school kids. It was different because of how bad it could have been and it was "kids" causing all this destruction.
Not saying its worse than this, but I was in college and we all looked at each and wondered how anybody could want to cause that much pain at roughly our age.

There isn't a hell got enough for those that did this

I think you may have missed my point. I was trying to say that this is far worse than the one shooting that I have always held as the worst school shooting in my lifetime. I always look back and think about how bad Columbine was, but it was "only" 13 kids. 18 children dead is possibly the most horrifying thing I could imagine.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:So close to Christmas...good god. I just keep thinking about all of the presents under the tree, how much the kids would have been looking forward to it, etc. I feel so utterly sick

I had a friend who died in a car wreck 10 years ago yesterday. His parents still have his christmas presents in his room. :(
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Reports are that the shooters Father has also been found murdered.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:They are reporting The shooter as Ryan Lanza of New Jersey. Evidently his mother was a teacher at the school and she is among the victims

I was just going to say I saw a screen grab of him posting on facebook frantically telling people it wasnt him

It would totally suck to have that name today.....kind of like if your name was jeffrey dahmer and uou were not the canabbalistic serial killer
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:00 pm

WCBS-TV: Law enforcement officials say SIG, Glock pistols were found in CT school, Bushmaster rifle was found in suspect's vehicle
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm

The 13,000-share FB picture is not the shooter.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Jesse wrote:The media won't learn from its past mistakes. They'll do what they always do. Post this guys mug and name all over the place, interview his neighbors, his parents, his high school classmates, his gas station attendant, they'll post pics of his house and apartment, talk about his guns, talk about his childhood.

When will we stop glorifying these psychopaths as anti-heroes? I don't want to know his name. I don't want to see his face. I don't give a rats behind what his mom has to say, or his neighbors.

Make him anonymous ghost. Stop giving publicity out. You'd think this country would learn after the Virginia Tech killer said that he was happy about the publicity he'd receive for the killing.

Sensationalism is at an all time high in this country. Media is a vulture. They're out there right now interviewing NINE YEAR OLD KIDS about what happened. I don't know how these producers can sleep at night. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is sickening. I don't want to know who this clown is or why he did it. I don't care. That's for criminologists and police to find out and know. What possible help is going to be for me to know what this idiot looks like? Why does the general public need to know every single intricate detail of this mans life?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:12 pm

npv708 wrote:.

Totally agree, I was just trying to say that Columbine had a different feel. It was the kid sitting next to you in study hall that was going to kill you as opposed to a faceless stranger doing it. Columbine was very personal for the victims, whereas past killing his parents there was nothing personal about the ensuing rampage. Both are horrible, evil, nightmares of a practically unthinkable magnitude just in different ways.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:14 pm

As someone who has worked in school districts for the past 5 years, I can't process this information at all. I can't understand how someone can be so disturbed and insane that he would feel the need to enter a school and shoot children. We practice lock-down procedures about twice a year but nothing could prepare you for this. I know it sounds like a stock response but I am profoundly saddened by this. I'm assuming we'll have some new security measures in the coming weeks.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:15 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:So close to Christmas...good god. I just keep thinking about all of the presents under the tree, how much the kids would have been looking forward to it, etc. I feel so utterly sick

This.

It hard enough to lose children to disease or accident. But to have them murdered, is unimaginable. And at what should be the most joyous time of year for them.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Jesse wrote:The media won't learn from its past mistakes. They'll do what they always do. Post this guys mug and name all over the place, interview his neighbors, his parents, his high school classmates, his gas station attendant, they'll post pics of his house and apartment, talk about his guns, talk about his childhood.

When will we stop glorifying these psychopaths as anti-heroes? I don't want to know his name. I don't want to see his face. I don't give a rats behind what his mom has to say, or his neighbors.

Make him anonymous ghost. Stop giving publicity out. You'd think this country would learn after the Virginia Tech killer said that he was happy about the publicity he'd receive for the killing.

Sensationalism is at an all time high in this country. Media is a vulture. They're out there right now interviewing NINE YEAR OLD KIDS about what happened. I don't know how these producers can sleep at night. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Agree with all of this.

The media will never learn. As long as they continue to publicize shootings and look for the next big story, there will always be some lowlife wanting to make a name for himself.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 pm

If it bleeds it leads has been the motto of the media for ages.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 pm

More found dead:

@FixAaron: CNN now says suspect's brother also found dead in Hoboken, NJ.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:30 pm

what the what is going on
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh470 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 pm

So soon after these awful tragedies is not the proper place to discuss the direct causes of such...

...so should we reconvene in a month or two? That seems to be the midpoint.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:link?

facebook.com search ryan lanza?

ummm, that's not him.

Last edited by JS© on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Ya know, I sit here as a former teacher thinking, "What would it have taken at the school for this to not have happened?" And the more I think, the more I come to the conclusion that nothing could have stopped this man from doing what he did, especially if the school is anything like that in which I taught. The thought that there's really nothing that could have stopped this is even more sickening. I understand that people close to him, and people that knew him could have seen warning signs and gotten him help, but I'm talking about the school itself. They were helpless in this situation and that in itself is scary.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

It's human to want a reason for this. So we can blame the media, or violent video games/movies, or Marilyn Manson, but the fact is to do this, you have to be completely insane. This isn't anyone's fault except the sick person who did it.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Fox News just said that the shooter may have been Adam Lanza, the brother of Ryan Lanza.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:36 pm

count2infinity wrote:Ya know, I sit here as a former teacher thinking, "What would it have taken at the school for this to not have happened?" And the more I think, the more I come to the conclusion that nothing could have stopped this man from doing what he did, especially if the school is anything like that in which I taught. The thought that there's really nothing that could have stopped this is even more sickening. I understand that people close to him, and people that knew him could have seen warning signs and gotten him help, but I'm talking about the school itself. They were helpless in this situation and that in itself is scary.

As a current one, I've been thinking that as well. From all reports, the school here was in lock down. Unfortunately, apart from having armed guards in schools at all times, there isn't much more you can do.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 pm

jmh470 wrote:So soon after these awful tragedies is not the proper place to discuss the direct causes of such...

...so should we reconvene in a month or two? That seems to be the midpoint.

What do you think this is, the NHLPA? ;)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Shyster wrote:Fox News just said that the shooter may have been Adam Lanza, the brother of Ryan Lanza.

Well, let's hope he is on facebook, too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 pm

JS© wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:link?

facebook.com search ryan lanza?

ummm, that's not him.

that dude better lawyer up, he's got a massive lawsuit.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Just saw a screen capture from 4chan that someone posted on Wednesday that they were going to kill themself and it was going to make the news and ti watch at 9am. Also said they live in Connecticut.

Not gonna post it here, some profanity in it and they posted a picture from Columbine to go along with the post.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Mot only that but schools having to buzz people in is great but really that's not going to stop anyone. Especially with all the glass windows and on the doors. There's no way the school could have done anything more. They have lockdown protocol and that's the only thing you can really expect... It sucks that humans break and it's worse that some are beyond help... The whole thing is a tragedy, very sad.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR