Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:36 am

Rylan wrote:Is it just me or has story in video games really gotten stale/down right terrible the last few years? Maybe I am getting tired of video games or something, but very few games have a plot worth going through anymore.

That's a pretty good observation. I played a number of really good games lately that had a stupid ending. That includes the first Borderlands.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 am

Rylan wrote:Killzone is up there for me. (Shut up haters)

I think the Killzone franchise has a great story, as does Resistance.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 am

btw, I did a little goggle. Far Cry 2 takes 50 to 100 hours, depending on how many side quests and collectibles you do. Well, I'm doing R&C now, but I'm looking forward to FC2.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 am

This game is so pretty.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 am

Rylan wrote:Killzone is up there for me. (Shut up haters)

Alpha Protocol is such a great and underrated game. (Where has chefpatrick been lately?)

AC is good, haven't played the 3rd one

Mass Effect 2 was good (the only one I have played)

and the Uncharteds are awesome.

Outside of that, Skyrim was a let down (it wasn't Oblivion which wasn't Morrowind), Far Cry 3 was a great game but terrible story. Rage was a good game with terrible story.

I just wish games were equal amounts of Story and Gameplay. Good story can cover up adequate gameplay more than gameplay can make up for story

Which is why the world needs MOAR Shenmue!!!!!!!!!
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby skullman80 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:28 am

Stories in games are becoming crap because companies focus less on the single player campaign, and more on multiplayer and online.

It's probably smart on their part to be honest because that's where gaming has been and will be going for the foreseeable future I guess. I'm more of a campaign guy as I don't play online all that much, but I realize I am in the vast minority there, and most people pick up the A+ titles for the online/multiplayer mode.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 am

FPS is stupid. i hate how much of the market is FPS.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am

if you look at the landscape of video games with a cinema analogy, the majority of games being produced are michael bay and uwe boll
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 am

Even though most people hate it, LA Noire is my all time fav game, story wise as well.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Anyone else remember this game? I used to play it for hours back in the day

sorry, little late. super sike v ball? one of the best sports game for the nes.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 am

Canaan, how is the Wii U experience now that you've had it for a bit?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 pm

canaan wrote:FPS is stupid. i hate how much of the market is FPS.

canaan wrote:if you look at the landscape of video games with a cinema analogy, the majority of games being produced are michael bay and uwe boll

It's the entire (mainstream) entertainment industry lately. Music, movies, and games. A lot of flash, not much substance.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm

eddysnake wrote:Canaan, how is the Wii U experience now that you've had it for a bit?

still digging it pretty hard. game selection is lacking, but its a launch, so i figured that. SMB was pretty rad. im running through nintendoland right now. the netflix is solid. especially given that you can bounce back and forth between the console and the gamepad so if the young'ns are hogging up the television, you can zap it to the game pad and switch the channel without a glitch. the mii universe social network thing is pretty cool but i havent dug too deep into that.

i'd recommend it as a family console, but with way more independent gaming (and increased standard gaming controls) then the original wii. hopefully santa brings me a pro controller for xmas.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 pm

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Canaan, how is the Wii U experience now that you've had it for a bit?

still digging it pretty hard. game selection is lacking, but its a launch, so i figured that. SMB was pretty rad. im running through nintendoland right now. the netflix is solid. especially given that you can bounce back and forth between the console and the gamepad so if the young'ns are hogging up the television, you can zap it to the game pad and switch the channel without a glitch. the mii universe social network thing is pretty cool but i havent dug too deep into that.

i'd recommend it as a family console, but with way more independent gaming (and increased standard gaming controls) then the original wii. hopefully santa brings me a pro controller for xmas.

cool, thanks. I'm hoping Santa might bring me one. How is the virtual console on this thing? How does the HD graphics look for nintendo?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Even though most people hate it, LA Noire is my all time fav game, story wise as well.

Really? Most people hate it? I thought it was somewhat flawed in its mechanics (and insanely easy at times), but overall I loved the game and thought the story was exceptional.

Rylan wrote:Is it just me or has story in video games really gotten stale/down right terrible the last few years? Maybe I am getting tired of video games or something, but very few games have a plot worth going through anymore.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I would tend to agree with you. I'm currently playing Medal of Honor Warfighter, which has gotten lambasted in some outlets as glorifying violence - and those who mete it out while wearing a uniform - and being pretentious in its story. I'm not that far in, but I couldn't disagree more.

The game heaps no more glory on warfighters than, oh, every single other military-based shooter. But MOHW actually tries to show the personal sacrifices these men make. One character from the first game appears only in silhouette behind the action at a desk, eventually revealing that since the events of MOH he has lost a leg. One of the two main characters you play is trying to balance a tumultuous marriage/separation, which is a toll I've not seen other games really dwell on in this level of detail.

Contrast that with the feigned morality play in "Modern Warfare 2" 'No Russian' level. For all the hullabaloo, that level fell completely flat. It was nothing more than gratuitous carnage. Why? As Bruce Lee might have said, it needed 'emotional content'. It is not sufficient to simply drop a playing character into a commercial airport and have him and his three buddies begin mowing down civilians. There is absolutely no connection between you (the player) and the character you are controlling at that stage of the game. You play, literally, two levels, get whisked off to some super secret task force, and by the time the load screen finishes, you've emerged months later and deep under cover right next to the main bad guy in the series. But you don't assassinate him (which would have made for a frightfully short game), you just walk along behind him, shooting at air travelers. There's no investment in your character's story, there's no inner conflict. It's just.... shooting. A completely useless - and ultimately frustrating - scene. And that is why it was offensive - because it didn't present the carnage in a morally ambiguous way. It just said "Here you go".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm

This was really cool. Morrowind and the White Gold Tower are tucked away in Skyrim.
It's awesome they put in details like this even though it's unlikely you will ever see it. I did come across the gate to Morrowind the other day, and that just screamed, "future dlc" to me.

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Tifosi, it's good to see there are others who like LA Noire!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 am

People didn't like LA Noire?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:14 am

I liked LA Noire, but I don't think it was as revolutionary as it set out to be. It had it's issues, but was worth a playthrough. I never went back to it a second time though.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 am

I got LA Noire for Christmas last year and didn't have the time to finish it, but I thought it was pretty great. I love the era it's set in. Seems like the holidays are the only time I have to sit down and play for any length of time, maybe I'll get back at it this year. I have a lot of games like that.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 am

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:

cool, thanks. I'm hoping Santa might bring me one. How is the virtual console on this thing? How does the HD graphics look for nintendo?

i havent played anything other than the wiiU games, but i have a letter written to santa to get a string of wiiU credits and the best of wii games and will report back if ive been a nice guy this year.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 am

I've been playing R&C all day. I think I'm going cross-eyed. But what a fun game.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 am

Sarcastic wrote:I've been playing R&C all day. I think I'm going cross-eyed. But what a fun game.

:lol: im glad you like it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 am

Finally finished Lego Star Wars III this week. Game wasn't as bad as I originally thought, just had to get used to it. But still towards the bottom of the lego game experience.

I was going to start Metroid Other M, but had a new baby last week, so she is taking up a lot of time. So I just picked up Lego Batman 2 to kill some time since it is easier to just stop and save at any time and it's not as time intensive.

Haven't started yet, but probably will today sometime.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 am

Glad to see the WiiU is actually somewhat decent. I'm probably going to hold off a year or so to pick one up once they luanch more games and the price comes down and bugs are worked out, but at least it's decent.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR