Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Cowboys

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Cowboys

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:46 am

I don't mind a lot of the celebrating, but the one that irritates me to no end is when they get a first down, hold the ball out, and drop it. Toss it to the official you showboating ****, congratulations on your 8 yard gain on a 3rd and 6
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't mind a lot of the celebrating, but the one that irritates me to no end is when they get a first down, hold the ball out, and drop it. Toss it to the official you showboating ****, congratulations on your 8 yard gain on a 3rd and 6

Those are definitely terrible, but in my opinion the most egregious offenses are definsive players celebrating a tackle after a decent offensive gain and special teams players celebrating after hitting the guy with the ball on a kick return.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't mind a lot of the celebrating, but the one that irritates me to no end is when they get a first down, hold the ball out, and drop it. Toss it to the official you showboating ****, congratulations on your 8 yard gain on a 3rd and 6

If it's 3rd and 3 in the first quarter of a 0-0 game then yeah its stupid. If its 3rd and 15 with 5 minutes left in the fourth and they're rolling, im fine with it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am

Troy Loney wrote:

Those are definitely terrible, but in my opinion the most egregious offenses are definsive players celebrating a tackle after a decent offensive gain and special teams players celebrating after hitting the guy with the ball on a kick return.

Funny, I'm so against celebrations in general, but I have no problem with a special teams player (particulary on the kickoff coverage team) getting up from a solo tackle, doing a fist pump and fellow teammates slapping him on the helmet or whatever. (a dance routine or something would be over the top)

Two reasons I feel this way:

1) Special teams guys are typically fighting for starting "O" or especially "D" jobs. Doing something big like an open field tackle on a kickoff coverage unit could mean an opportunity to get noticed.

2) Have you ever tried to make an open field tackle on a man running a "full steam"? One of the hardest athletic tasks I ever attempted.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Froggy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 pm

I didn't realize that if it's a 3 way tie with the steelers, ravens, and Bengals, we actually win the 3 way tie breakers, and win the division
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:42 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Funny, I'm so against celebrations in general, but I have no problem with a special teams player (particulary on the kickoff coverage team) getting up from a solo tackle, doing a fist pump and fellow teammates slapping him on the helmet or whatever. (a dance routine or something would be over the top)

Two reasons I feel this way:

1) Special teams guys are typically fighting for starting "O" or especially "D" jobs. Doing something big like an open field tackle on a kickoff coverage unit could mean an opportunity to get noticed.

2) Have you ever tried to make an open field tackle on a man running a "full steam"? One of the hardest athletic tasks I ever attempted.

I think more basically that there is a difference between an emotionally-driven fist pump and an orchestrated move.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Godric wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:I strongly dislike Brown (and any player really) that showboats after every play. "act like you've been there before"

:thumb:

Look at the great ones:

Jim Brown
Jerry Rice
Franco Harris
Walter Payton

Maybe there was a corolation between their performance and the way they acted?

Here's a quote from Jim Brown: (After the Bills Stevie Johnson celebrated by pretending to shot himself in the leg ala. Plax)

"It's an example of ignorance. Pure ignorance. There's no upside to it. It's self-serving ignorance. The bottom line is, any intelligent person realizes that until the game is over there's nothing to celebrate. ... And it means that you are not concentrating on winning, and then you can lose the game. Or, you can drop the ball, as [Johnson] did [later]. Now where's the celebration? So all of a sudden you can't hold the ball and now what do you want your teammates to do? Should they celebrate you dropping the ball? So like I said, there's no upside. It's ignorance, and I don't even know how players can stoop to being so ignorant that they can hurt their team after something that's been successful. That is as bad as it gets. To me there's no other side of the story. There's no two sides of this story. It's a terrible, terrible lack of intelligence."

Lol

I love how you leave out Dieon Sanders, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss .... Those boys weren't slouches and loved to celebrate.

It's pretty pathetic anyone would question the intelligence of TO, Sanders, or Moss... You don't get to be pinnacles of success in their positions for a decade a piece without a strong mind and unreal dedication

Do you people ***** and moan whenever Malkin celebrates?

If Malkin ever did something ridiculous like the Ovechkin 'hot stick' celebration, you bet your ass I'd be ******** and moaning about it. If he started wooping it up and celebrating for a tape to tape pass , (essentially what the football guys are doing), yep.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Froggy wrote:I didn't realize that if it's a 3 way tie with the steelers, ravens, and Bengals, we actually win the 3 way tie breakers, and win the division

HAHA! So we need the Ravens to lose out, we need to win out? That actually seems a lot easier than it should be, no?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Godric wrote:It's pretty pathetic anyone would question the intelligence of TO, Sanders, or Moss... You don't get to be pinnacles of success in their positions for a decade a piece without a strong mind and unreal dedication

Terrell Owens is an idiot....that's why he is bankrupt.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Terrell Owens is also going to be a HOF receiver, and rightfully so.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm

I had no idea the #1 tiebreaker in a three-way tie was still head to head.

So we'd be 3-1 and Balt and Cinci would be 2-2, giving us the tiebreaker. I guess that makes sense over also counting our W/L against Cleveland.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 pm

skullman80 wrote:Terrell Owens is also going to be a HOF receiver, and rightfully so.

Of course, but I was refuting Godric's point that to be a HOF receiver you have to be an intelligent person. That is light years from the truth
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:16 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Terrell Owens is also going to be a HOF receiver, and rightfully so.

Of course, but I was refuting Godric's point that to be a HOF receiver you have to be an intelligent person. That is light years from the truth

Good point. lol
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Check out Boise State football. After a TD the coach makes them hand (not toss) the ball to the ref, and jog off the field. I think it's classy and respectable. I'm a Boise fan because of it.

Paterno demanded this, too. If a player celebrated, the camera immediately went to Joe on the sidelines ripping the kid a new one. He'd make a huge spectacle of the kid making a small spectacle.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Froggy wrote:I didn't realize that if it's a 3 way tie with the steelers, ravens, and Bengals, we actually win the 3 way tie breakers, and win the division

Oh, that would be delicious.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:14 pm

If I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on the Bengals winning the division. Ravens and Steelers are both poo right now.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Well boys, better pack it in, there's always next year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3912/willie-colon
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Well boys, better pack it in, there's always next year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3912/willie-colon

DeCastro and Ramon Foster are more than adequate enough if Pittsburgh balks at paying Colon's $5.5 million salary for 2013.

The author clearly doesn't spend enough time here if he thinks there's any chance the Steelers could hope to replace Colon's immense contributions.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 pm

we won our last super bowl without an offensive line. theoretically, we could do it again
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Troy Loney wrote:If I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on the Bengals winning the division. Ravens and Steelers are both poo right now.

But the Bengals are still from Ohio!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:45 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:If I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on the Bengals winning the division. Ravens and Steelers are both poo right now.

But the Bengals are still from Ohio!

But they're just a stones throw from Kentucky and an hour from Indiana, so I cut them a little slack. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ulf on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Check out Boise State football. After a TD the coach makes them hand (not toss) the ball to the ref, and jog off the field. I think it's classy and respectable. I'm a Boise fan because of it.

I also enjoy the absolutely outrageous celebrations, that 85 and TO provide us with.

I don't like anything in the middle though. Either jog off the field, or leave me laughing.

Yeah pretty much. I love that Fitz has remained so classy. I also love the hilarious celebrations, so whatev.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Godric wrote:It's pretty pathetic anyone would question the intelligence of TO, Sanders, or Moss... You don't get to be pinnacles of success in their positions for a decade a piece without a strong mind and unreal dedication

Terrell Owens is an idiot....that's why he is bankrupt.

So having someone house handle your finances makes you an idiot?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

I have no problem with the special teams guys going ballistic when they make a play. For many of those guys, that's the only way they stay in the NFL. And it requires a certain personality or mindset (like being a hockey goalie). I want my special teams guy to be a little..... excitable. (basically everything ExPat said)

And wasn't Santonio Holmes the first guy to do the first-down-ball-drop thing Shaf is talking about?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

I have no problem with the special teams guys going ballistic when they make a play. For many of those guys, that's the only way they stay in the NFL. And it requires a certain personality or mindset (like being a hockey goalie). I want my special teams guy to be a little..... excitable. (basically everything ExPat said)

And wasn't Santonio Holmes the first guy to do the first-down-ball-drop thing Shaf is talking about?

Technically it was Plax when he spiked the live ball against the Jags :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR