Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:40 am

newarenanow wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Compass Bowl. Discuss.

Don't mind playing Ole Miss. But 3 years in a row. Sucks.

But it's our own fault though. Don't crap the bed against YSU, Uconn, ND and Cuse and we are 10-2 going to a better bowl.

My thoughts as well. At least Pitt is playing an SEC team this year and not SMU. I also read that the organizers are working with Pitt to make this experience a different and more enjoyable one than the past few years for the players. Plus, it certainly helps that they will have their actual head coach with them this time around. Above all else, getting 15 more practices in for this team is huge.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:44 am

Troy Loney wrote:I have no recollection of this 2009 season, did they really go 10-3?

Yes. That was the year they lost to NC St by blowing a 14 pt lead late in the game, was 9-1 and ranked #8 in the BCS, lost to WVU on a 40 some yard field goal as tiem expired and blew a 21 pt lead against Cincy (12-0 #3) for a shot at Tebow and the Gators in the Sugar Bowl.

Beat a good UNC squad in the Tire Bowl and finished ranked 15.

During the Stache's last 3 years as head coach they finished 9-4, 10-3, 8-5.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Plus, it certainly helps that they will have their actual head coach with them this time around.

I never thought of it that way. This is their first trip to the Compass bowl with their actual head coach that started the season.

I agree, it is huge.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 am

Phil Bennett and Keith Patterson. I actually felt pretty happy for Bennett after beating Kentucky. His locker room speech after the game was pretty awesome. Plus, it was nice getting that win just days after the Haywood debacle.

Last year vs SMU, I have never seen a team so unfocused. Can't blame them though, after what they had to deal with.

I just wish that some of these seniors (Graham and Shannahan specifically) got to go somewhere else their senior year.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:53 am

Shannahan has been my favorite Pitt player since he started at Pitt.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

No Chryst to Wisconsin panic?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

IanMoran wrote:No Chryst to Wisconsin panic?

It's all in the CFB thread. :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Ah... I mostly avoid that thread. IIRC its just NAN posting about what the dude says and Rocco insulting him for it

Anyways, looks like he's staying
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

IanMoran wrote:Ah... I mostly avoid that thread. IIRC its just NAN posting about what the dude says and Rocco insulting him for it

That's largely accurate.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ix-seasons

Cristobal fired... maybe he should have showed more interest to Pitt job lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:29 pm

perhaps they were sick of his garbage
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm sure all of you heard the Alverez / Chryst thing. Nice to hear not everyone is fraud.

Also, on all the ACC "realignment talk... all the school presidents released a statement together

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ally-false

"We, the undersigned presidents of the Atlantic Coast Conference, wish to express our commitment to preserve and protect the future of our outstanding league. We want to be clear that the speculation about ACC schools in negotiations or considering alternatives to the ACC are totally false. The presidents of the ACC are united in our commitment to a strong and enduring conference. The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically, and the constitution of our existing and future member schools will maintain the ACC's position as one of the nation's premier conferences."

Of course talk is cheap, and any of them would probably leave if felt it was good for their school
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Also... Pitt extends series with Penn State 2 more years. Now have 4 scheduled games

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/ ... penn-state
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:39 pm

IanMoran wrote:Also... Pitt extends series with Penn State 2 more years. Now have 4 scheduled games

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/ ... penn-state

Awesome! Fun begins in 2016!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

JERRY O FOR DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR PLEASE
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am

Would've loved to have seen Charlie Partridge come back as defensive coordinator, but he followed Bielema to Arkansas and took the DL coaching job. Rumor has it his salary as an assistant will be in the $375K range. Patridge would've been terrific because of his extensive recruiting ties to Florida.

Olsavsky may be interesting. Not as big on experience as some others (2 yrs as Def. Assistant with the Steelers, 7 yrs as LB coach at YSU), but he always struck me as a very cerebral player - one of those guys you could always tell was just destined to be a coach when he was done playing. Spending two years working with Dick LeBeau would help any coach, college or pro. I just wonder if the jump to DC would be too big at this point.

I'd love to see Gattuso get a look, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I've heard Todd Orlando (currently DC at Florida International) mentioned quite a bit as well. Cut his teeth as DC at UConn and oversaw some pretty damn good defenses during his time there.

Shaping up to be a pretty interesting few weeks for Pitt.

They got a pretty underrated commit a few days ago with OL Alex Officer from New York. 6'4", 310 lbs. Had offers from Louisville, Syracuse, WVU and Rutgers among others. Most scouting reports describe him as the type of lineman that Chryst preferred in his offenses at Wisconsin - mauler style of play with great feet.

The big, big news may start rolling in Friday when Central Valley WR Robert Foster announces his decision. Anything can happen, but people who follow these things much closer and are much more connected than I am have said he's been a solid commitment to Pitt for a long time now. Foster is sick. It's probably not a stretch to say he'd be the most gifted receiver Pitt would've seen since Fitz.

They've also made huge progress on Tyler Boyd from Clairton as well. Two months ago, Pitt was mostly off his radar. Since then, they've made up a ton of ground and seem to be running neck-and-neck with WVU for him. Boyd is the versatile type of athlete that can pose a threat from anywhere - RB, WR, slot receiver, DB.

Western PA obviously isn't what it used to be in terms of recruiting, but a key thing for Chryst is to keep as much high-level talent here as he can. The big three this year are Dorian Johnson, Foster and Boyd. Getting two of the three in Johnson (already committed) and Foster would've been a huge win for Chryst. If he manages to reel in all three, that's a huge recruiting victory for him, especially with some very good players coming down the local pipeline in the immediate future.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

I always enjoy posts from Stoosh. Very well writen, very informative and always a unique insight. I've always thought you missed your true calling by not having been a sports reporter Stoosh.

Stoosh mentioned Tyler Boyd so I decided to 'Google' him and see what I could find out.

Here's what I found on the Scout board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=141&f=24 ... 037529&p=1

About three posts into that thread and it became obvious to me why WVU fans dislike Pitt fans so much.

You Stay Classy Pitt Panthers.

:pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:49 pm

lol

Some people take sports too seriously.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am

I think Foster ends up in prep school.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't mind our coaches going for upgrades. I just like to think places like ASU / NCState aren't major upgrades from Pitt that you jump at chance to take... Perhaps I'm just too biased..
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:34 pm

IanMoran wrote:I don't mind our coaches going for upgrades. I just like to think places like ASU / NCState aren't major upgrades from Pitt that you jump at chance to take... Perhaps I'm just too biased..

ASU, I can see that. A Head Coach jumps to a better conference.
NC State... for a defensive coordinator? Not so much.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm not sure that NC State is even a step up from Pitt.

Spoiler:
My father is a State graduate; hope he doesn't read this thread. :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
IanMoran wrote:I don't mind our coaches going for upgrades. I just like to think places like ASU / NCState aren't major upgrades from Pitt that you jump at chance to take... Perhaps I'm just too biased..

I don't remember the exact money, but he was paid a hefty amount to jump to NC State. For most coaches it seems like an upgrade in the wallet is more important that the quality of the program.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I don't remember the exact money, but he was paid a hefty amount to jump to NC State. For most coaches it seems like an upgrade in the wallet is more important that the quality of the program.

Well... To a certain extent I'm with you there, but if you have aspirations of ever becoming a Head Coach (and getting the real big $$$) - there are a lot of other factors to consider.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Well... To a certain extent I'm with you there, but if you have aspirations of ever becoming a Head Coach (and getting the real big $$$) - there are a lot of other factors to consider.

If he got paid more $ then I guess it makes sense. He's 55, has been coaching since 1985.. I think its pretty well established he won't ever be a HC
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR