TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Kraftster on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 am

So my wife has just informed me that Homeland is coming back in May at 10:00 PM. The same time as Breaking Bad. Showtime and AMC are a**holes.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 am

tivo. problem solved
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 am

Kraftster wrote:So my wife has just informed me that Homeland is coming back in May at 10:00 PM. The same time as Breaking Bad. Showtime and AMC are a**holes.

don't think you need to worry, I'm almost 100% certain it's not coming back until Fall 2013.

Watched the finale last night and I say it just about every episode, but they know how to do intensity. Great show
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:17 am

Finally hooked up my Direct TV to internet and therefore their On Demand service.

Think I will start watching Dexter from the beginning...worth it?

I hear it's good, but have never seen one episode.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:22 am

blackjack68 wrote:Finally hooked up my Direct TV to internet and therefore their On Demand service.

i'd say no. i watched it up until this season. it was one long disappointment. and if you've never seen the deb character, consider yourself lucky
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:22 am

eddysnake wrote:
Kraftster wrote:So my wife has just informed me that Homeland is coming back in May at 10:00 PM. The same time as Breaking Bad. Showtime and AMC are a**holes.

don't think you need to worry, I'm almost 100% certain it's not coming back until Fall 2013.

Watched the finale last night and I say it just about every episode, but they know how to do intensity. Great show

I guess they want to take advantage of the final season of Dexter by putting something else in the post-Dexter slot. Similarly, take advantage of the Homeland success with something else in the pre-Dexter slot. I'll see if she can substantiate this.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am

newarenanow wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:2 new League episodes tonight were pretty cool.

These were the first two I ever saw of the series.

Why wasn't I watching earlier? Love it so far.

It's a great show. Some episodes get way out there, but overall, it's been a good show. I've noticed when they actually focus on fantasy football for the episode, those are some of the weaker ones. When there is very little fantasy football, it usually is a great episode.

aside from pretending that anyone involved in the show knows anything about football, the only other problem i have with it is the gay joke schtick they always do. i don't get offended or anything, it's just really lazy, terrible attempts at humor.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 am

HIMYM was good last night
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm

homeland

Spoiler:
Quinn has grown on me, he was awesome last night sitting in Estes room with the gun. Loved Saul saying "you’re the smartest and the dumbest F'n person I’ve ever known.” to Carrie. The Javert poke at Estes was also superb. Great ending.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:aside from pretending that anyone involved in the show knows anything about football, the only other problem i have with it is the gay joke schtick they always do. i don't get offended or anything, it's just really lazy, terrible attempts at humor.

It doesn't bother me yet in the League, but in the Simpsons, the Homer and his gay stuff all the time got worn out and old and they continue to do it like every other episode.

Not offended, just bored with it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:HIMYM was good last night

I only watched the first half. Stil lneed to watch the second 30 minutes.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm

eddysnake wrote:homeland

Spoiler:
Quinn has grown on me, he was awesome last night sitting in Estes room with the gun. Loved Saul saying "you’re the smartest and the dumbest F'n person I’ve ever known.” to Carrie. The Javert poke at Estes was also superb. Great ending.

Spoiler:
I like the possibilities that we are left with going into season 3:

(1) Brody has been playing Carrie and was in on the bombing. I'll be very excited if this is the case. Something about their whole thing being 100% genuine and mutual on both sides will bother me.

(2) The "mole" is really the centerpiece, and the mole must be Saul. Saul is really the only one left unless we are going to be introduced to a whole new character who has somehow been involved in everything, but we haven't seen him yet. Saul as the mole will be stunning but potentially awesome.

In this scenario Brody was being truthful when he explained the explosion as saying that they'd been played. Saul will spend the season manipulating Carrie and trying to focus in on Brody and tracking him down, while someone (Carrie?) begins to suspect Saul.

I don't really see any other options for where they can go than one of those two.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Kraftster wrote:
eddysnake wrote:homeland

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I like the possibilities that we are left with going into season 3:

(1) Brody has been playing Carrie and was in on the bombing. I'll be very excited if this is the case. Something about their whole thing being 100% genuine and mutual on both sides will bother me.

(2) The "mole" is really the centerpiece, and the mole must be Saul. Saul is really the only one left unless we are going to be introduced to a whole new character who has somehow been involved in everything, but we haven't seen him yet. Saul as the mole will be stunning but potentially awesome.

In this scenario Brody was being truthful when he explained the explosion as saying that they'd been played. Saul will spend the season manipulating Carrie and trying to focus in on Brody and tracking him down, while someone (Carrie?) begins to suspect Saul.

I don't really see any other options for where they can go than one of those two.

Spoiler:
I wondered about Brody playing Carrie, but I got the feeling this season wrote itself out of that story a little.

Saul being a mole is certainly interesting. I think we'll find out a lot more about F Murray Abraham (Dar Adal-from the diner meeting with Saul). I feel like he will have a big part going forward
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 pm

shmenguin wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Finally hooked up my Direct TV to internet and therefore their On Demand service.

i'd say no. i watched it up until this season. it was one long disappointment. and if you've never seen the deb character, consider yourself lucky

I would give it a shot. The first 3-4 seasons are really good, especially the Trinity Killer season. 5-7 are enjoyable, but nowhere near those first few seasons. I like season 7 more than 6 but less than 5, FWIW.

Like you, I will watch several seasons in a short amount of time. I watched 1-4 in a few weeks two years ago, then watched 5 in chunks as it aired. I really like that way of watching serial TV, as you can see arcs much more clearly and so on.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby obhave on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Best episode in a while.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spangler on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 am

shmenguin wrote:

I strongly disagree, seasons 1-4 are some of the best on TV.

The only season I don't like is season 5.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:53 am

Just watched Season 1 Episode 1. I liked it, but the wife wasn't crazy about it.

I'll be back for more. At least finish Season 1 before making a decision.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am

blackjack68 wrote:Just watched Season 1 Episode 1. I liked it, but the wife wasn't crazy about it.

You can speed things up by skipping every story arc that doesn't directly involve dexter. The biggest problem with this show is that it has one of the worst supporting casts on television.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 am

obhave wrote:

Best episode in a while.

Finally got to watch it. Definitely one of the better episodes in a while, mainly because it went back to the story line, and wasn't a filler episode. Looking back, how they tied in the last 2 or 3 episodes, it was pretty good.

I think now in 2013, you are going to see better episodes because it will build up to the wedding and finally climax at Ted meeting the mother.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am

shmenguin wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Just watched Season 1 Episode 1. I liked it, but the wife wasn't crazy about it.

You can speed things up by skipping every story arc that doesn't directly involve dexter. The biggest problem with this show is that it has one of the worst supporting casts on television.

See, I think its almost intentional and perhaps necessary.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am

Kraftster wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

i think deb is intentionally annoying, yes. but everyone else is just an unhappy accident. look at the laguarda/batista romance plot...that was just about the worst thing i've ever sat through. and not a hint of irony involved. and every quinn story has been a big bowl of nothing. they struck it rich with michael c hall and a great overall premise, but have butchered almost everything else along the way. and if jon lithgow wasn't so brilliant in his season, this show would be seen very differently right now, imo.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 am

shmenguin wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

i think deb is intentionally annoying, yes. but everyone else is just an unhappy accident. look at the laguarda/batista romance plot...that was just about the worst thing i've ever sat through. and not a hint of irony involved. and every quinn story has been a big bowl of nothing. they struck it rich with michael c hall and a great overall premise, but have butchered almost everything else along the way. and if jon lithgow wasn't so brilliant in his season, this show would be seen very differently right now, imo.

I just think that the premise of the show is such that those around Dexter almost have to be seen as clowns. Dexter and the central antagonist characters (killers), or even characters like Lundy, in each season stand out even more against the weak supporting cast. With Dexter, he sees people as something like caricatures. Its easier for the audience to see the world around Dexter through that Dexter lens with a weaker supporting cast. It would also be harder to suspend disbelief that a serial killer could love among these people so easily if they were sharp, quick characters.

Edit: That being said, god do I hate Quinn.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:52 am

if you're right, then that is some high level stuff right there and i give the creators a ton of credit.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm halfway through the first Dexter book, which parallels the first season. The supporting cast is portrayed as mediocre, if not bumbling, cops, except for Deb. She seems a half step behind Dexter in figuring things out, whereas everyone else is a half mile behind. And she is annoying in the book, too. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I'm halfway through the first Dexter book, which parallels the first season. The supporting cast is portrayed as mediocre, if not bumbling, cops, except for Deb. She seems a half step behind Dexter in figuring things out, whereas everyone else is a half mile behind. And she is annoying in the book, too. :lol:

the ending of book 1 is different...and way better.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR