Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Shyster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Keep it open, but with renovations. According to Wikipedia, after the the 1999 shootings the Columbine High School tore down the library (where more than half of the deaths occurred) and built a new, larger library. The space where the old library had been was turned into a memorial atrium. Something similar would likely work here. Turn the space where the two or three classrooms where the shootings actually took place into, say, an indoor playground for the children to use in bad weather, and build a couple new rooms on the school for replacement classrooms.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,359
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:47 pm

I like indoor playground idea. But it must be a playground in my opinion.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,071
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Rylan wrote:I like indoor playground idea. But it must be a playground in my opinion.


It would be poor taste to turn it into a paintball arena though huh? {Ducking}
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Shyster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah, elementary students aren’t really going to appreciate some sort of stodgy memorial. Something like a playground would help keep their minds off what happened.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,359
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:54 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rylan wrote:I like indoor playground idea. But it must be a playground in my opinion.


It would be poor taste to turn it into a paintball arena though huh? {Ducking}

:/
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,194
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Shyster wrote:Keep it open, but with renovations. According to Wikipedia, after the the 1999 shootings the Columbine High School tore down the library (where more than half of the deaths occurred) and built a new, larger library. The space where the old library had been was turned into a memorial atrium. Something similar would likely work here. Turn the space where the two or three classrooms where the shootings actually took place into, say, an indoor playground for the children to use in bad weather, and build a couple new rooms on the school for replacement classrooms.


Sounds reasonable.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby MWB on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 pm

The kids that currently go there would have a tough time returning to it as a school. Even if you re-do the parts where the shootings happened, they'll associate the school with the tragic events. They aren't high school kids, so the ability to process it and view it in a different way isn't so easy. Some, if not many, will find it a scary place to be.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,910
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 pm

ulf wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rylan wrote:I like indoor playground idea. But it must be a playground in my opinion.


It would be poor taste to turn it into a paintball arena though huh? {Ducking}

:/


Yeah....if you are going to try a "too soon" joke, it should be funny
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,044
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:03 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/aut ... 09195.html

...research has suggested there may be a link between how much attention an incident gets in the media and how many copycat threats follow.


Thanks, Captain Obvious.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,002
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 pm

MRandall25 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/authorities-crack-down-copycat-threats-newtown-210709195.html

...research has suggested there may be a link between how much attention an incident gets in the media and how many copycat threats follow.


Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I think there were people in this thread asking for proof that media attention fuels any of this..
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,194
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 pm

MWB wrote:The kids that currently go there would have a tough time returning to it as a school. Even if you re-do the parts where the shootings happened, they'll associate the school with the tragic events. They aren't high school kids, so the ability to process it and view it in a different way isn't so easy. Some, if not many, will find it a scary place to be.

I agree entirely. Were all the victims 6th graders? If so, they could have all 6th graders finish the year in the temporary school they'll be going to, and then they'll be off to middle school next school year. Just a thought.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,366
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
MWB wrote:The kids that currently go there would have a tough time returning to it as a school. Even if you re-do the parts where the shootings happened, they'll associate the school with the tragic events. They aren't high school kids, so the ability to process it and view it in a different way isn't so easy. Some, if not many, will find it a scary place to be.


I agree entirely. Were all the victims 6th graders? If so, they could have all 6th graders finish the year in the temporary school they'll be going to, and then they'll be off to middle school next school year. Just a thought.


All of the victims were kindergarteners....
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,044
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm

How did I not know that?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,366
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 pm

llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,925
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:44 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
MWB wrote:The kids that currently go there would have a tough time returning to it as a school. Even if you re-do the parts where the shootings happened, they'll associate the school with the tragic events. They aren't high school kids, so the ability to process it and view it in a different way isn't so easy. Some, if not many, will find it a scary place to be.


I agree entirely. Were all the victims 6th graders? If so, they could have all 6th graders finish the year in the temporary school they'll be going to, and then they'll be off to middle school next school year. Just a thought.


All of the victims were kindergarteners....

No, they were first graders (my son is the same age as some of the deceased). Lanza's mother volunteered with many from this class last year, when they were in kindergarten.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,270
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby mac5155 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 am

Image

The Hell's Angels were there helping keep WBC out.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,062
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby DelPen on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 am

Tico Rick wrote:How did I not know that?


6 years old could be seen as 6th grade if you aren't looking closely.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,522
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 am

DelPen wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:How did I not know that?


6 years old could be seen as 6th grade if you aren't looking closely.


Yeah, I must have misread the first news stories. To be honest, I haven't read too many stories about individual victims... it's just too heartbreaking.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,366
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:02 pm

The Hell's Angels are good people.

Spoiler:
lulz
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:The Hell's Angels are good people.

Spoiler:
lulz


Don't go there Gaucho... Seriously, don't.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The Hell's Angels are good people.

Spoiler:
lulz


Don't go there Gaucho... Seriously, don't.


I already did. But I don't need to go further.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The Hell's Angels are good people.

Spoiler:
lulz


Don't go there Gaucho... Seriously, don't.


ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rylan wrote:I like indoor playground idea. But it must be a playground in my opinion.


It would be poor taste to turn it into a paintball arena though huh? {Ducking}


Image
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,044
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Sublime.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,215
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The Hell's Angels are good people.

Spoiler:
lulz


Don't go there Gaucho... Seriously, don't.


ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rylan wrote:I like indoor playground idea. But it must be a playground in my opinion.


It would be poor taste to turn it into a paintball arena though huh? {Ducking}


Image

Dude, posting a Marky Mark GIF from his movie "Shooter" is such poor taste.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,282
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Is that from shooter? it looks like it is from the happening
Last edited by Letang Is The Truth on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,416
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelPen and 12 guests


e-mail