Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Draft - (Round 25)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Draft - (Round 19)

Postby meow on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm going to grab the first head coach off the board - Dan Bylsma. Maybe not the best coach in team history, but he has a Cup and the highest winning percentage among Penguin bench bosses. Looking at my team, my forwards can skate, battle, and have a high hockey IQ. My D has a good combination of puck movers and stay-at-home guys. Bylsma teaches hard work, aggressiveness and accountability. He's a players coach, but does not allow himself to be walked over
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:44 pm

I was thinking about a coach coming up here, good to see someone got the ball rolling. I'm not sure I have a real good ranking yet in my head of our coaches to be honest...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:21 am

I'll be making my picks tomorrow afternoon
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:14 pm

So since we're on the topic of coaches, I'm going to take one of the greatest coaches the sport has ever seen: Scotty Bowman.

95-53-16 in the regular season, 23-10 with a Stanley Cup ring in the playoffs. Also led the Pens to their first 100 point season in franchise history.

From the CBC:

Bowman's attention to detail and relentless coaching style kept his players grounded and focused on what mattered most, winning a Stanley Cup.

A master of motivation and mind games, he knew how to get the most out of every player he handled, from superstars to role players.

In Pittsburgh, Bowman moulded the multi-talented club into a well-rounded squad that could control play at both ends of the ice.

Bowman's stout leadership helped propel the Penguins to the 1992 Stanley Cup final, where they were crowned champions for the second consecutive season.

I think he'd be able to do wonders with just about any team you threw out there.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm

And for back-up goalie, I think I'll take Brent Johnson. He only played in 65 games, but when you extrapolate the "games dressed as a backup", he more than makes it over 100.

IMO, he's exactly what you want a back-up goalie to be. Someone who (until his last year, which is more a product of injuries) can come in and spell the starter and give the team a chance to win (look no further than his first 2 years here: 10-6-1 with 2.76 GAA and .906 SV% and 13-5-3 with 2.18 GAA and 2.11 GAA in 09-10 and 10-11, respectively).

Had he not been injured in 11-12, I believe we would have seen similar numbers.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dman66 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about taking a coach with the last pick, but decided against it. Can't go wrong with either coaching pick yet.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Draft - (Round 20)

Postby mikey287 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm not totally wild about the Brent Johnson selection to be honest...not that there's a lot to choose from...but with a coach like Bowman, you needed a guy that could play some games and Johnson never really played games for the Penguins...Bowman, a disciple of Toe Blake, was an excellent goalie manager. Johnson's career games played as a Penguin won't allow him to appear in enough games in a season to really be a factor and we know that Wregget has a history of wearing down later in the year, so that's gonna be a bit tough.

On the other hand, Bowman can do wonders. He's versatile and can handle different lineups...he was with and without Mario in his time here...changed the team's philosophy in that time...

Further against my own point, I said I/we wouldn't penalize too harshly for goalies because there just isn't enough out there really. I just personally would have went with at least another tandem guy to match up with Wregget's limitations and Bowman's philosophy...

Additionally, and not to crap on your pick or anything mrandall, really, I'm just calling it as I see it - I don't think you'll take it personally though, it's for the sake of discussion - additionally, Bowman has a history of favoring LHS-RHS, LHS-RHS, LHS-RHS complementary defensive pairs, something he also passed down to his disciples...'92 Penguins, '98 Red Wings, '02 Red Wings as examples. 70's Habs dynasty, admittedly, a counterpoint - but they'd be dominant regardless.

But under any coach it would be a bit difficult as [unnamed team] has six LHS defensemen.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Meh. At that point, it's getting down to minute details. Most of the remaining goalies are terrible (stats-wise, Johnson was the best available).

I didn't even pay attention to handedness because IMO, it's relatively meaningless. You're probably looking way further into it than I would have (case in point: the LH-RH D pairings. You're probably the only person who would look at something like that ;) )

In the end, it's a list of players. Your approach to this is way more in-depth than I think anyone would have realized. I also think that you're really nitpicking at stuff that people who aren't in on this would never realize had you not brought it up (hell, I don't think anyone but you would have brought it up).

I said it to someone earlier, but just let me do my thing. I didn't do this to be guilt-tripped over who I'm picking.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't mean to snap at you if it came off that way, but you are/were a pro scout. I'm not. I don't think the same way you do.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 pm

:shock:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Fair. I don't want to come across as nitpicking either. That's the last thing I want, really. I just like good hockey discussion and God knows we don't have enough of it going on here or anywhere really...thus the idea of this, just to keep our minds on the game, pick up a little education on history along the way and see what comes of it...and based on that vote today, I think we have a lot of time to talk about this draft...

I do try to be very thorough in my team-building practices though and I say the things I say (like my comments above) to just get everyone thinking about how the names on paper translate to the ice surface...not at all for disparaging the person that designed it the way they did. If I wanted to tear it down, I wouldn't have asterisked my own comments (lack of goalie depth, 70's Habs teams being almost all lefties), that was the best I could do to show the comments were in good faith...not vitriolic...

Carry on.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 pm

I also thought about RH and LH defensemen. Not so much on my lines though :oops:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Rylan wrote:I also thought about RH and LH defensemen. Not so much on my lines though :oops:

Importance of handedness on forward lines depends on tactics, style, strengths/weaknesses, matchups, etc.

Your consideration of LHS/RHS defensemen was in my head early on...sparked the trade to grab Woytowich over you. :slug:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 pm

You crafty bastard :twisted:

In all seriousness good looking haha. But man would it bother me when the RH defensemen would get taken right before my pick haha
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Yeah, I really didn't mean for that to come off as snappy. I just don't like being questioned in any draft setting because it makes me second guess myself and therefore makes it less enjoyable for me.

I have my reasons for picking who I want, but like I said, you're noticing stuff that really no one else would unless they were you (like you said, calling it as you see it. Not sure many other people would have seen that).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:14 pm

I'd like to point out that Ken Wregget is listed as a D in the Google Doc.

That is all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:13 am

With the 116th overall pick, I'd like to select Warren Young. A flash in the pan if there ever was one. The man scored 72 NHL goals, 40 of which came in ONE SEASON with the Penguins. Young has a nice story of determination and perseverance.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:03 pm

With the 117th pick in the LGP Draft, the Degloving Kings are proud to select from Minneapolis, Minnesota:

Head Coach "Badger" Bob Johnson

One of only 4 Penguins Head Coaches to make the cup and the first of three to win the Cup and the only coach to have his name on the Cup twice for the Penguins (1992 Posthumously), the man nicknamed Badger had left his mark on Pittsburgh despite only coaching one season in the Burgh. His trademark phrase "Its a great day for hockey" is still well known, and is a part of the Penguins as it can be seen at the main entrance of the CEC.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:44 pm

At 104 games coached, Badger Bob is technically ineligible - though he is a sentimental pick - I'll let the group decide how they want to handle it. I'm just posting the fact, others can make their opinion. Not trying to be buzz killington here... :?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:49 pm

I thought it was 100 for coaches? Me mal.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Not a problem, like I said, it's up to the group. I don't want to be the all-time best seller at the Jerk Store here...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 pm

But of all the coaches, Badger Bob is arguably the most influential head coach the Pens have ever had. Had he not fallen ill he easily would have eclipsed the 150 game mark and arguably was with the team even in death (as evidenced by his name appearing on the 2nd cup year). And who knows what would have been accomplished had he not gotten cancer. But I am arguing he is as important in his 100 games as any coach's 150.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:44 pm

I don't disagree with you at all. In the spirit of fairness, some others may not have felt as if he was available (as per the OP) and they can decide what's right. Ignore me in the sense of "would mikey have drafted him?", if the others are ok with it, then it's ok by me. If there's a problem we'll just work it out.

I won't draft for a bit so that way in case there's an issue, you don't get burned by me (or others) taking the guy that was second on your list.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I don't mind. But you had stated if you can make an argument for someone under the Games level that it should be brought up. I think it would be completely disingenuous to this draft if Badger Bob was not included. If the others say no then that is fine by me as I have made my arguments. But I do want to have a conversation about this before we move on.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:04 pm

I have no qualms with letting Rylan take Badger Bob.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins