Gonchar may be coming back

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gonchar may be coming back

Postby the riddler on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:35 am

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/12/22/pi ... ei-gonchar

OTTAWA - If the NHL does start a shortened season next month, don’t expect Sergei Gonchar to finish it with the Ottawa Senators.

The veteran defenceman, going into the final year of a contract paying him $5.5 million per season, will be targeted for a trade by the Pittsburgh Penguins once a collective bargaining agreement is reached.

Whether Gonchar’s former team waits until whatever date is set for the trade deadline or a makes a pitch before the season begins isn’t known, but league sources say Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero has interest in bringing back the 38-year-old.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Gonchar may be coming back

Postby Bioshock on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:12 am

Wow, came into this page never expecting to see a topic about Sarge coming back.

And the fact that even for a moment, we can talk about real hockey and not all the bull about the lockout and fiscal endeavors just makes me want hockey even worse.

Man... the season needs to start and start soon.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:12 am

Hypothetically:

If the Pens are interested in Gonchar, I assume they would target him for the beginning of whatever amounted to the season. No team could take the risk of falling behind in the standings, so having your lineup cemented from the beginning is key. ie No "we'll fix it at the deadline" mentality.

So if this true, presumably they aren't very happy with the *current* progress of the kids in WBS?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 am

I think it would reflect more on their feelings towards Tanger running the PP.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:40 am

Might as well, they can't get any worse defensively.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 am

Seems a perfect solution; chemistry with the PP, chemistry with defense partners, we have talent in the pipeline ready to play, which would limit his exposure to an 82 game season (next year, obviously...)

DO IT RS! :fist:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Bioshock on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 am

columbia wrote:Hypothetically:

If the Pens are interested in Gonchar, I assume they would target him for the beginning of whatever amounted to the season. No team could take the risk of falling behind in the standings, so having your lineup cemented from the beginning is key. ie No "we'll fix it at the deadline" mentality.

So if this true, presumably they aren't very happy with the *current* progress of the kids in WBS?

From everything i have read about those guys during the lockout, they have been as good as advertised. It's just none of them do what Sarge does.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 am

Bioshock wrote:
columbia wrote:Hypothetically:

From everything i have read about those guys during the lockout, they have been as good as advertised. It's just none of them do what Sarge does.

This is tough because I assume most of us haven't seen them play, but I have read more than a few negative reviews and write ups. It seems Despres is really struggling on a lot of nights and the others need a lot more seasoning in the basics except for skating, although they are all young so I am not sure where each is supposed to be in their careers.

Harrington I have heard all good things about especially in his own zone.

From the type of talent we are supposed to have wouldn't we think they are closer in type to what a 38 year old Gonchar would bring this than what we actually need which is good play and positioning in our zone?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:42 am

I love Sarge, but he was old when he left the Pens two years ago, and he isn't any younger now. He may be great in the KHL, but the KHL is not the NHL. Do not want.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Tico Rick wrote:I love Sarge, but he was old when he left the Pens two years ago, and he isn't any younger now. He may be great in the KHL, but the KHL is not the NHL. Do not want.

QFT
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Since this article was written by Bruce Garrioch (the Eklund of Canada) I wouldn't believe any of it. As for the actual value of having Sarge back, it only makes sense if you are suiting up 7 d-men and playing him mainly on the PP, with limited minutes at even strength. He isn't capable of logging top 4 minutes anymore, because he is too much of a defensive liability.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Are we sending Malkin to the Kings as well?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Last year I saw him play some of the worst defensive hockey I've ever seen a hockey player play. He was laughable nearly the entire season. If he's to be used strictly for the power play, than fine. Other than that, he was a joke last year.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:05 pm

This is an odd and oddly-timed article...from The Sun no less...I have my doubts...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Even more strange is this isn't being reported like it's a rumor. They are saying "Don't expect" Gonchar back. Maybe Kadar was looking at more than just Malkin during his time in Russia.

I personally have no problem with bringing Gonchar back. Yeah, he's been bad in his own end at times but so has everyone else. But we don't have a true PP QB anymore, especially with the departure of Sullivan.

To gamble and have Sarge for 48 games to me is a gamble worth taking.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 pm

As a 6th d-man that is used on the powerplay, I wouldn't hate it. It would depend on what we would trade to get him. I also question the likelihood of this trade actually happening.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm nostalgic, so the thought of bringing back any once-popular Penguin excites me (see Kovalev, Alex). But removing my fond memories of times past, I view this a little more realistically. Gonchar, as someone mentioned above, is two years older than he was when he left Pittsburgh looking, at times, like an old man. That said, Gonchar runs a power play like few others in the NHL, and having him back for one lockout-shortened season to help bring along Letang and truly teach him some tricks of the trade doesn't seem like a bad idea for a team with extra cap space. This works, in my opinion, if his even strength ice time is limited and he sees little/no time on the PK.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm not going to comment specifically on Gonchar...I have mixed emotions...but I'll say in general, that if Letang gets knocked on the noggin again, the heir apparent to our transition game is Matt Niskanen. That's not something a contender would say...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:37 pm

The pp is instantly better with gonch.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Steve wrote:The pp is instantly better with gonch.

in a 48 game season , the gamble may pay off. 1 year, if there is a "this" year in the NHL.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Is his skill on the PP worth having only 5 defensemen any given night?

I'd say not.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:32 pm

No. No. No.

Please god no.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Last year I saw him play some of the worst defensive hockey I've ever seen a hockey player play. He was laughable nearly the entire season. If he's to be used strictly for the power play, than fine. Other than that, he was a joke last year.

This x2. On top of the above add in a 5.5 million price tag?? not worth it. Would rather find a winger for Sid.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Don't know how I feel about that. He could improve the powerplay but his defense was horrible when he left and I can't imagine it's much better. He was probably the biggest reason we lost that game 7 to Montreal, it will be hard for me to forget the image of him letting Canadiens skate right past him and score. I was pretty prepared to go with Tanger, Brooks, Niskanen, Despres, Martin, and Engelland or Morrow.

Still feels weird to actually talk about something hockey-related with no lockout end in sight. I don't know what I'm gonna do for the next 4 months with no Steelers or Pens.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Eric Majeski ‏@LGP_netwolf
Pump the brakes on the Gonchar rumors. Comes from same guy that had 71 off to LA. Pens also at 50 contract max, so trades have to be even. Pens also have 6 D on 1way deals, plus 2 more that would have to clear waivers, PLUS Despres
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins