Top 10 Pens Prospects

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Top 10 Pens Prospects

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:18 pm

This particular article ranks Pouliot at the top:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... se-667744/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Top 10 Pens Prospects

Postby no name on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:06 am

When you rate prostects, are you rating the players who can make the biggest possible splash in the NHL or rating players in who has a change at making the NHL.

Despres seems like he is a lock to be in the NHL if there is a season, so i would of thought he would be no. 1, but i guess they are rating these guys at who could be the biggest star in the NHL.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:13 am

I'm not sure Despres is a lock, if only because he has to clear waivers (or had to, under the old CBA).
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 am

I guess I am surprised by the number of new names on the list. 6 out of the 10 are from last years draft, or obtained via trade,or signed as a free agent. I guess that either means that there is high hopes for last year draft class, or not much is expected from the 2009-2011 group except for the 1st round pick in those years.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:36 am

New Toy Syndrome
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 am

what does D.M. mean by this:

One shift, he'll swing the net

???

Never heard of a move called "swinging the net"... I'm not trying to be difficult, I've just never heard the term and thought maybe I could learn something by asking.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:10 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:what does D.M. mean by this:

One shift, he'll swing the net

???

Never heard of a move called "swinging the net"... I'm not trying to be difficult, I've just never heard the term and thought maybe I could learn something by asking.

I think, THINK he talking about swinging around the back of the net to start a rush up ice. It's pretty vague though.

The one possible silver lining of this lockout is it has given our young guys development time in WBS without thinking so much about trying to get a callup to the big club. From the quotes, it sounds like Despres is going to make the big club when and if they ever have a season. I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Morrow got up there too though it sounds like there is still work to be done there.

Bennett probably isn't ready for a shot yet, so we may still be short an impact winger, even if Tangradi pans out. If we made a move via trade, that is where I would expect it instead of a move to bring back Gonch.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Surprised Beau was #2.....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:22 pm

"Swing the net" - rarely used terminology, in my experience though, it's meant the same way as "wheel" is to many younger players. And more or less how DesertPenguin described. Typical situation, sees a goalie leave the puck behind the net or a defenseman holding the puck behind when a puck-rusher with speed will "swing the net" and pick it up on the fly and escape out the other side to initiate a breakout. Can be an effective start to beat a very high F1...I'm not sure if that's a regional thing or just simply antiquated or just plain rare, but that's atypical terminology where I come from...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 pm

pens_CT wrote:I guess I am surprised by the number of new names on the list. 6 out of the 10 are from last years draft, or obtained via trade,or signed as a free agent. I guess that either means that there is high hopes for last year draft class, or not much is expected from the 2009-2011 group except for the 1st round pick in those years.

The criteria was entry-level or unsigned prospects, so I'm not surprised that they are recent guys. It's a list based on potential, expectations would not have come down much from their "draft label" yet.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 pm

mikey287 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:I guess I am surprised by the number of new names on the list. 6 out of the 10 are from last years draft, or obtained via trade,or signed as a free agent. I guess that either means that there is high hopes for last year draft class, or not much is expected from the 2009-2011 group except for the 1st round pick in those years.

The criteria was entry-level or unsigned prospects, so I'm not surprised that they are recent guys. It's a list based on potential, expectations would not have come down much from their "draft label" yet.

I am just a little suprised that someone like Agostino and/or Archibald (both who are averaging at or above a point per game in the NCAA) wouldn't be at the bottom of the list versus Megna and Murray.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:58 pm

The only thing I might have really changed is I would have swapped Matt Murray for Nicholas D'Agostino. I was impressed with Megna in my extremely brief view of him...has that pro burst...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 pm

mikey287 wrote:The only thing I might have really changed is I would have swapped Matt Murray for Nicholas D'Agostino. I was impressed with Megna in my extremely brief view of him...has that pro burst...

Too bad that Megna has seemingly been hurt for most of the WBS season. I totally forgot about D'Agostino since he was drafted all the way back in 2008. Not sure where he fits in the organization with so many other defensemen in the system?
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Me neither, but I saw him live in the ECAC Tournament and voted for him as the best defensemen of the tournament. He covers so much ground and seemed to be out there for about half the game. I like him more than Bortuzzo and Sneep and that group...on potential...whether he reaches it is a matter of proper development, fate, luck and other cliches...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 am

Speaking of Nick D'Agostino here is a good article on him.

http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/2012/12/26_dagostino_carrying_hopes.php
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins