LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:15 pm

npv708 wrote:Question for both EPP and Geezer:

What do you think could possibly come out of an open Senate hearing (chaired by a Democrat, who just happens to most likely be the next Secretary of State...) on Libya with Clinton that hasn't been brought up in the individual Senate meetings with Ambassador Rice and the Senate and House hearings with Burns (Deputy Secy of State) and Nides?

If you've read the report released and watched the hearings, you're hearing many of the same talking points that have already been detailed to death. The State department did not properly handle security requests from Libya and it resulted in the death of 4 Americans.

Here's the big question: What would Hilary Clinton actually have to hide from? Seriously, do you think some massive revelation that her and Obama teamed up and intentionally left the consulate unprotected and then covered it up?

Be serious now, you guys haven't been happy with what Rice, Burns, and Nides have said, why would that change with Hilary?

Likely nothing . The answers I want deal with the lack of a military plan, why the security group(can't remember the name; it covers several agencies/departments) wasn't convened during this and who was calling the shots during this attack? She might not legitimately know some of those things. I'm not aware of any answers provided by anyone sent by the administration. Most of them didn't know much which made me wonder why they publicly pretended to fire 3 employees.
The one question that's been totally avoided is why there wasn't an air defense attempt. My understanding is that there are spectre gunships within a 1/2 hour flying time. One of these would have scattered the attackers after a few shots.Any not choosing to leave would've been dead in short order. The Americans on on of the roofs were even laser targeting attackers weapons;obviously expecting help that was never sent. I don't know if that was a failure of the CIA ,military ,state department,white house or a combination screw up.
But there were blunders of omission and commission and apparently no one will be held accountable.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:The three didn't actually resign.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/internatio ... DPbTp5WtoN


The [Accountability Review Board] identified the performance of four officials, three in the Bureau of the Diplomatic Security and one in the Bureau of Near East Asia Affairs," spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement. "The Secretary has accepted Eric Boswell's decision to resign as Assistant Secretary for Diplomatic Security, effective immediately. The other three individuals have been relieved of their current duties. All four individuals have been placed on administrative leave pending further action."

Resigned from current duties. Demoted to another desk.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:21 pm

npv708 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
npv708 wrote:
Here's the big question: What would Hilary Clinton actually have to hide from? Seriously, do you think some massive revelation that her and Obama teamed up and intentionally left the consulate unprotected and then covered it up?


Looks like you answer that question yourself.

npv708 wrote: The State department did not properly handle security requests from Libya and it resulted in the death of 4 Americans.


Who is incharge of that Department? And who does she report to?

Hello?

No one said it was intentional. But it certainly was a case of gross negligence that has been swept under the rug by the Obama Administration.

You admit as much yourself, or am I reading you wrong?


Okay.

- Resignation of three senior level career State department officials is not "being swept under the rug by the Obama Administration."
- Implementing 29 Recommendations from the report is not sweeping something under the rug.
- Coming out in 2 open hearings and saying the systematic failure of the State department security means is not sweeping something under the rug.

and for the record, Hilary has still agreed to testify at both open/closed Congressional hearings, but after she recovers. What is the problem with that?


4 people died. They are dead due to gross incompetence.

Nixon resigned over less.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,914
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:23 pm

lives were lost, unneccessarily that's the problem with it.

npv708 wrote:
Resigned from current duties. Demoted to another desk.


Well, *that* should satisfy the four families. People died, Shyster can clarify, but it's criminal neglegence at best.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Beirut, Lebanon, April 18, 1983: A suicide car bomb killed 63 people, including members of the U.S. embassy and CIA. The attack happened just after the Western-led Multinational Force had decided to intervene in the Lebanese Civil War. The Islamic Jihadist Organization took responsibility, saying, "This is part of the Iranian revolution's campaign against imperialist targets throughout the world. We shall keep striking at any imperialist presence in Lebanon, including the international force."

Kuwait City, Kuwait, December 12, 1983: A truck rammed into the front gates of the U.S. embassy and exploded, killing five people. The U.S. embassy was one of several targets hit that day, including the French embassy and the Kuwait International Airport.


So glad Reagan resigned over this gross incompetence.

And George W. Bush over these...

Karachi, Pakistan, June 14, 2002, February 28, 2003, March 15, 2004, and March 2, 2006:The string of bombings and attempted bombings outside the U.S. consult in Karachi were thought to be in retaliation for the War on Terror in Afghanistan, and later Iraq. The first bomb in June 2002 was a suicide bomber, who killed 12 and injured 51 people. In February 2003, a gunman killed two police officer and injured five others outside the consulate. In March 2004, an attempted bombing was stopped when police discovered 200 gallons of liquid explosives in the back of a truck. In March 2006, another suicide bomber killed six people outside a nearby Marriott Hotel.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan, July 30, 2004: The U.S. and Israeli embassies were targeted by suicide bombers. Two security guards were killed.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, December 6, 2004: Militants breached the outer wall of the U.S. consulate and began shooting, but did not enter the consulate. Five civilians and the gunmen were killed. Ten people were wounded.

Damascus, Syria, September 12, 2006: Three gunmen were killed after they tossed grenades over the embassy's outer wall and a car bomb exploded outside the embassy. A Syrian security guard and a Chinese diplomat also died.

Athens, Greece, January 12, 2007: A rocket-propelled grenade was fired into the front of the U.S. embassy around 6 am in the morning. No one was killed or hurt. A Greek terrorist group called "Revolutionary Struggle" claimed responsibility.

Istanbul, Turkey, July 9, 2008: Kurdish Turks open fired around 11 am, killing six people and injuring one. The three men had suspected Al-Qaeda links, but this was never proven.

San'a, Yemen, September 7, 2008: 19 people died and at least 16 were injured when a group of men disguised at police attacked the outer security rim of the U.S. embassy. Al-Qaeda affiliate Islamic Jihad of Yemen claimed responsibility.

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:33 pm

List of attacks on US Embassies and Consulates since 1958:

1) On January 27, 1958, the US embassy at Ankara was attacked. This happened just a couple of days before John Foster Dulles, the then US Secretary of State under President Dwight Eisenhower, was set to arrive in this Turkish city for a Baghdad Pact meeting.

2) The United States Embassy at Libreville (Gabon) was bombed on March 5, 1964.

3) The United States Embassy at Libreville was again attacked on March 8, 1964.

4) On January 31, 1968, the US embassy at Saigon (South Vietnam) was attacked, killing few diplomats who had to fight themselves.

5) One person was killed when the US embassy at Phnom Penh, Cambodia was attacked on September 26, 1971, while a softball game was in progress.

6) A US marine was wounded when Communists in Manila attacked the American diplomatic mission in 1972.

7) On August 19, 1974, the US ambassador and his assistant were killed by a sniper in a riot outside the country’s embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus.

8) On August 4, 1975, Japanese Red Army gunmen raided the US embassy at Kuala Lumpur. No casualties were reported.

9) On Nov 4, 1979, US embassy at Tehran was attacked and country’s 52 diplomats were taken hostage by a group of pro-Revolution students and hardliners. The Iran hostage crisis continued for 444 days till January 20, 1981.

10) On Nov 21, 1979, a mob attacked US embassy in Islamabad, killing two American diplomats.

11) On December 2, 1979, the US embassy at Tripoli (Libya) was attacked. No casualties were reported.

12) On April 18, 1983, a car bomb attack on US embassy at Beirut claimed 63 lives, including 17 Americans.

13) On Dec 12, 1983, a truck bomb exploded outside US embassy at Kuwait, killing six people.

14) On September 20, 1984, a Hezbollah truck bomb outside the US embassy at Beirut killed 24 people, including two Americans.

15) In Nov 1984, a car bomb outside the US embassy at Bogota (Columbia) killed one person.

16) On May 14, 1986, Japanese Red Army attacked the US embassy at Jakarta.

17) On June 9, 1987, Japanese Red Army attacked the US embassy at Rome.

18) On September 17, 1989, a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) fired on US embassy at Bogota (Colombia) caused no damage.

19) In 1990, the US Embassy at Tel Aviv (Israel) was attacked.

20) On July 27, 1993, a car bomb planted outside the US Embassy at Lima (Peru) ripped off.

21) On September 13, 1995, an RPG was fired on US embassy at Moscow.

22) On June 21, 1988, an RPG was fired on the US embassy at Beirut by Hezbollah.

23) On August 7, 1988, Al-Qaeda attacked the US embassy at Nairobi.

24) On August 7, 1988, Al-Qaeda also attacked the US embassy at Dar-es-Salaam (Tanzania). The two simultaneous attacks had killed 224 people altogether.

25) On January 22, 2002, Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami gunmen attacked the US consulate at Kolkata, killing five people.

26) On June 14, 2002, an Al-Qaeda truck bomb detonated outside the US consulate at Karachi, killing 12.

27) On October 12, 2002, the US consular office at Denpasar (Indonesia) was bombed by Jemaah Islamiyah as part of the Bali bombings.

28) In 2002 again, nine people were killed by bomb blast near US embassy in Lima (Peru). It was seen as attempt to disrupt forthcoming visit by President George W. Bush.

29) On February 28, 2003, unknown gunmen attacked US embassy at Islamabad, killing two people.

30) On June 30, 2004, a suicide bomber hailing from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan attacked US embassy at Tashkent, killing two people.

31) On December 6, 2004, Al-Qaeda gunmen raided the diplomatic compound at Jeddah (Saudi Arabia), killing nine Americans.

32) On March 2, 2006, two people were killed when a car bomb exploded outside the US consulate in Karachi.

33) On September 12, 2006, gunmen raided the US embassy at Damascus (Syria), killing four people.

34) On January 12, 2007, a Greek revolutionary group fired an RPG at the US embassy at Greece. No damage done.

35) On March 18, 2008, a mortar attack at the US Embassy at Sana’a (Yemen) killed two people.

36) On July 9, 2008, an armed attack at the US consulate at Istanbul killed six people.

37) On September 17, 2008, 16 people were killed when the US embassy at Sana’a (Yemen) was attacked.

38) On July 11, 2011, supporters of the Syrian government stormed the US embassy at Damascus, smashing windows and raising a Syrian flag at the US diplomatic compound. The office building was damaged as the Syrian security forces were slow to respond. Following the embassy assault, the residence of the US ambassador, Robert Ford, was also attacked by a mob.

39) On September 13, 2011, Taliban attacked the US embassy and the NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters at Kabul with small arms and RPGs.

40) On October 28, 2011, a man armed with an automatic weapon fired shots at the US embassy at Sarajevo, hitting a police officer before authorities shot and wounded him.

41) On April 5, 2012, eight people lost lives when the US Consulate at Peshawar was attacked.

42) On September 11, 2012, a group of violent extremists attacked the consulate in Libya killing the US Ambassador and three staff members.

43) On September 11, 2012, the US embassy at Cairo was also attacked.

44) On September 11, 2012, the US embassy at Sana’a too came under an aggressive assault.


Now tell me how again this is something the Obama Administration is only at fault for and he and/or Hilary needs to resign for this?

US embassy attacks, resulting in many more than 4 deaths have been happening since the Eisenhower administration. Please continue to explain to me why the 4 deaths in Libya are more important than any of the attacks that have happened in the last 54 years?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:34 pm

npv708 wrote:
Beirut, Lebanon, April 18, 1983: A suicide car bomb killed 63 people, including members of the U.S. embassy and CIA. The attack happened just after the Western-led Multinational Force had decided to intervene in the Lebanese Civil War. The Islamic Jihadist Organization took responsibility, saying, "This is part of the Iranian revolution's campaign against imperialist targets throughout the world. We shall keep striking at any imperialist presence in Lebanon, including the international force."

Kuwait City, Kuwait, December 12, 1983: A truck rammed into the front gates of the U.S. embassy and exploded, killing five people. The U.S. embassy was one of several targets hit that day, including the French embassy and the Kuwait International Airport.


So glad Reagan resigned over this gross incompetence.

And George W. Bush over these...

Karachi, Pakistan, June 14, 2002, February 28, 2003, March 15, 2004, and March 2, 2006:The string of bombings and attempted bombings outside the U.S. consult in Karachi were thought to be in retaliation for the War on Terror in Afghanistan, and later Iraq. The first bomb in June 2002 was a suicide bomber, who killed 12 and injured 51 people. In February 2003, a gunman killed two police officer and injured five others outside the consulate. In March 2004, an attempted bombing was stopped when police discovered 200 gallons of liquid explosives in the back of a truck. In March 2006, another suicide bomber killed six people outside a nearby Marriott Hotel.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan, July 30, 2004: The U.S. and Israeli embassies were targeted by suicide bombers. Two security guards were killed.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, December 6, 2004: Militants breached the outer wall of the U.S. consulate and began shooting, but did not enter the consulate. Five civilians and the gunmen were killed. Ten people were wounded.

Damascus, Syria, September 12, 2006: Three gunmen were killed after they tossed grenades over the embassy's outer wall and a car bomb exploded outside the embassy. A Syrian security guard and a Chinese diplomat also died.

Athens, Greece, January 12, 2007: A rocket-propelled grenade was fired into the front of the U.S. embassy around 6 am in the morning. No one was killed or hurt. A Greek terrorist group called "Revolutionary Struggle" claimed responsibility.

Istanbul, Turkey, July 9, 2008: Kurdish Turks open fired around 11 am, killing six people and injuring one. The three men had suspected Al-Qaeda links, but this was never proven.

San'a, Yemen, September 7, 2008: 19 people died and at least 16 were injured when a group of men disguised at police attacked the outer security rim of the U.S. embassy. Al-Qaeda affiliate Islamic Jihad of Yemen claimed responsibility.



That's tongue in cheek, right? You do get the difference between those attacks and what happened in Benghazi right? The fence being breached, the requests for additional security, the fact Great Brittian and other western nations closed their Benghazi operations due to security concerns... these were gross acts of negligence.

It's Foreign diplomatic operations. Things happen. The subsequent disinformation campaign, the lack of senior adminitration officials who will step forward and testify, the cover-ups - That's what got Nixon if you aren't old enough to remember, it wasn't so much the Watergate breakin, it was the subsequent coverup. That's the analogy, as much as you might try and change the conversation with your so called examples.

(But I still love ya as a person npv, even if I couldn't disagree more with your Obama apologist position.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Are you trying to tell me there weren't security concerns in Beirut in 1983 that weren't fully addressed? Really? Beirut 1983 is far more dangerous than Libya in September 2012.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Also, #2 at the State Department testified? There's not much more senior-level you can get...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 pm

But I don't think the 3 of us will ever agree and I need to go pack my mountain climbing gear so I can be fully prepared to go over this cliff I keep hearing about.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm

npv708 wrote:Are you trying to tell me there weren't security concerns in Beirut in 1983 that weren't fully addressed? Really? Beirut 1983 is far more dangerous than Libya in September 2012.


Bengahzi didn't even have the security that the Beruit barracks had. Almost 20 years later. And no, Beruit didn't ask for additional security and yes, they at lest had US marines guarding the barracks, not local militia forces.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 pm

npv708 wrote:Also, #2 at the State Department testified? There's not much more senior-level you can get...


Ah, but there is, but she's got Sid like concussion symptoms right?

(And that so called 'testimony' was a complete joke. Not a single question was answered.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:43 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
npv708 wrote:Also, #2 at the State Department testified? There's not much more senior-level you can get...


Ah, but there is, but she's got Sid like concussion symptoms right?


Yes, no 65 year old woman has ever fallen and hit her head before.

I mean, unless you want to pitch in together and get Hilary LifeCall...

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 pm

npv708 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
npv708 wrote:Also, #2 at the State Department testified? There's not much more senior-level you can get...


Ah, but there is, but she's got Sid like concussion symptoms right?


Yes, no 65 year old woman has ever fallen and hit her head before.

I mean, unless you want to pitch in together and get Hilary LifeCall...

Spoiler:


Yep... isn't it amazing how convienient it all is? Get well Hillary.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:54 pm

So my understanding of the "fiscal cliff" is that quite frankly we can't have our cake and eat it to. The budget can't be balanced at current tax rates and certainly can't be helped by more tax cuts. Yes it would put the country into a minor recession but it seems that this is pretty standard for economics when needed corrections are ignored for a long period of time. It seems like when spending increased during the Bush presidency, taxes were at the same time cut. That didn't make sense. Now people are crying that taxes are going up and recession is going to happen and we want more tax cuts and blah blah blah unrealistic. It seems like it comes down to taxes need to be raised and reality needs to be accepted. We can no longer have our cake and eat it to.

P.S. the term "fiscal cliff" is so much **** fear mongering it's disgusting. What would sound scary to the public? Hmmmmm money death, uhhh tax murder, uhhhh paycheck crush, uhhhhh Obama Obliteration. People hear that term and automatically think it's bad. Good job media, you got your **** worry that feeds your ratings. The media is garbage. It no longer checks power, it is part of the power.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,028
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Pavel Bure wrote: It seems like when spending increased during the Bush presidency, taxes were at the same time cut. That didn't make sense. Now people are crying that taxes are going up and recession is going to happen and we want more tax cuts and blah blah blah unrealistic. It seems like it comes down to taxes need to be raised and reality needs to be accepted. We can no longer have our cake and eat it to.

So ... Aren't you forgetting something?

If I spend $10 million on a house, buy a rolls-royce, vacation for six months of the year in Bora-Bora and purchase a Lear jet, my problem isn't that I don't make enough, it's that I spend too much...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby mac5155 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 am

If they cut spending and raise taxes that is fine. They can't raise taxes without cutting spending though
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,728
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 am

Pavel Bure wrote:So my understanding of the "fiscal cliff" is that quite frankly we can't have our cake and eat it to. The budget can't be balanced at current tax rates and certainly can't be helped by more tax cuts. Yes it would put the country into a minor recession but it seems that this is pretty standard for economics when needed corrections are ignored for a long period of time. It seems like when spending increased during the Bush presidency, taxes were at the same time cut. That didn't make sense. Now people are crying that taxes are going up and recession is going to happen and we want more tax cuts and blah blah blah unrealistic. It seems like it comes down to taxes need to be raised and reality needs to be accepted. We can no longer have our cake and eat it to.

P.S. the term "fiscal cliff" is so much **** fear mongering it's disgusting. What would sound scary to the public? Hmmmmm money death, uhhh tax murder, uhhhh paycheck crush, uhhhhh Obama Obliteration. People hear that term and automatically think it's bad. Good job media, you got your **** worry that feeds your ratings. The media is garbage. It no longer checks power, it is part of the power.


Ben Bernanke is the one who put the tag "fiscal cliff" on this situation.

The fiscal cliff doesn't balance the budget.

Major drivers of the current annual $1T+ deficit aren't addressed.

Boehner - "I put $800B in tax revenue on the table. What do I get for that?"

Obama - "You get nothing. I get that for free."
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,032
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby DelPen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am

I'm fine throwing another $150 a month at the federal government if they cut $300 in spending. Seems a fair trade off. For every $1 raised in taxes they need to cut $2 in spending at minimum. Put into law that if this goal is not reached we start with unecessary departments. Of course most of the positive hiring has been in the federal government the last 4 years so unemployment would skyrocket.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 am

DelPen wrote:I'm fine throwing another $150 a month at the federal government if they cut $300 in spending. Seems a fair trade off. For every $1 raised in taxes they need to cut $2 in spending at minimum. Put into law that if this goal is not reached we start with unecessary departments. Of course most of the positive hiring has been in the federal government the last 4 years so unemployment would skyrocket.

DoD seems like a good place to start.

I'm not so worried about unemployment/recession - I'm a VERY firm believer that the dysfunctional federal government is probably the single biggest impediment to the US realizing our economic potential.

In the short term you're right, there would be some pain as the economy normalizes. But in the long term we'd be set up for growth.

It's completely dysfunctional right now. Hell, I was able to 'retire' for nearly two years and collect unemployment benefits. (thanks uncle Sam). Not one time did anyone check my situation. They just sent me two years of unemployment checks. That's two years of me collecting and them not getting taxes.

There are a million things you could have the unemployed do in your local community. Hell, have them volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, not only would they help someone, they'd learn a skill.

Have them paint school rooms, volunteer at food banks, deliver meals to Senior citizens...

And that's just unemployment... So many broken Federal systems.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby doublem on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm

why do you want the unemployed to do that?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 pm

doublem wrote:why do you want the unemployed to do that?


wha? You don't think we'd be better off if that type of system were instituted?

Or have I missed some kind of sarcasm yet again?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 pm

When I was unemployed I had no qualms about doing nothing for awhile. I had paid my social security contributions when I worked, after all. *shrug*
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,370
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby doublem on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
doublem wrote:why do you want the unemployed to do that?


wha? You don't think we'd be better off if that type of system were instituted?

Or have I missed some kind of sarcasm yet again?


No, I don't.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:06 pm

npv708 wrote:List of attacks on US Embassies and Consulates since 1958:

1) On January 27, 1958, the US embassy at Ankara was attacked. This happened just a couple of days before John Foster Dulles, the then US Secretary of State under President Dwight Eisenhower, was set to arrive in this Turkish city for a Baghdad Pact meeting.

2) The United States Embassy at Libreville (Gabon) was bombed on March 5, 1964.

3) The United States Embassy at Libreville was again attacked on March 8, 1964.

4) On January 31, 1968, the US embassy at Saigon (South Vietnam) was attacked, killing few diplomats who had to fight themselves.

5) One person was killed when the US embassy at Phnom Penh, Cambodia was attacked on September 26, 1971, while a softball game was in progress.

6) A US marine was wounded when Communists in Manila attacked the American diplomatic mission in 1972.

7) On August 19, 1974, the US ambassador and his assistant were killed by a sniper in a riot outside the country’s embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus.

8) On August 4, 1975, Japanese Red Army gunmen raided the US embassy at Kuala Lumpur. No casualties were reported.

9) On Nov 4, 1979, US embassy at Tehran was attacked and country’s 52 diplomats were taken hostage by a group of pro-Revolution students and hardliners. The Iran hostage crisis continued for 444 days till January 20, 1981.

10) On Nov 21, 1979, a mob attacked US embassy in Islamabad, killing two American diplomats.

11) On December 2, 1979, the US embassy at Tripoli (Libya) was attacked. No casualties were reported.

12) On April 18, 1983, a car bomb attack on US embassy at Beirut claimed 63 lives, including 17 Americans.

13) On Dec 12, 1983, a truck bomb exploded outside US embassy at Kuwait, killing six people.

14) On September 20, 1984, a Hezbollah truck bomb outside the US embassy at Beirut killed 24 people, including two Americans.

15) In Nov 1984, a car bomb outside the US embassy at Bogota (Columbia) killed one person.

16) On May 14, 1986, Japanese Red Army attacked the US embassy at Jakarta.

17) On June 9, 1987, Japanese Red Army attacked the US embassy at Rome.

18) On September 17, 1989, a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) fired on US embassy at Bogota (Colombia) caused no damage.

19) In 1990, the US Embassy at Tel Aviv (Israel) was attacked.

20) On July 27, 1993, a car bomb planted outside the US Embassy at Lima (Peru) ripped off.

21) On September 13, 1995, an RPG was fired on US embassy at Moscow.

22) On June 21, 1988, an RPG was fired on the US embassy at Beirut by Hezbollah.

23) On August 7, 1988, Al-Qaeda attacked the US embassy at Nairobi.

24) On August 7, 1988, Al-Qaeda also attacked the US embassy at Dar-es-Salaam (Tanzania). The two simultaneous attacks had killed 224 people altogether.

25) On January 22, 2002, Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami gunmen attacked the US consulate at Kolkata, killing five people.

26) On June 14, 2002, an Al-Qaeda truck bomb detonated outside the US consulate at Karachi, killing 12.

27) On October 12, 2002, the US consular office at Denpasar (Indonesia) was bombed by Jemaah Islamiyah as part of the Bali bombings.

28) In 2002 again, nine people were killed by bomb blast near US embassy in Lima (Peru). It was seen as attempt to disrupt forthcoming visit by President George W. Bush.

29) On February 28, 2003, unknown gunmen attacked US embassy at Islamabad, killing two people.

30) On June 30, 2004, a suicide bomber hailing from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan attacked US embassy at Tashkent, killing two people.

31) On December 6, 2004, Al-Qaeda gunmen raided the diplomatic compound at Jeddah (Saudi Arabia), killing nine Americans.

32) On March 2, 2006, two people were killed when a car bomb exploded outside the US consulate in Karachi.

33) On September 12, 2006, gunmen raided the US embassy at Damascus (Syria), killing four people.

34) On January 12, 2007, a Greek revolutionary group fired an RPG at the US embassy at Greece. No damage done.

35) On March 18, 2008, a mortar attack at the US Embassy at Sana’a (Yemen) killed two people.

36) On July 9, 2008, an armed attack at the US consulate at Istanbul killed six people.

37) On September 17, 2008, 16 people were killed when the US embassy at Sana’a (Yemen) was attacked.

38) On July 11, 2011, supporters of the Syrian government stormed the US embassy at Damascus, smashing windows and raising a Syrian flag at the US diplomatic compound. The office building was damaged as the Syrian security forces were slow to respond. Following the embassy assault, the residence of the US ambassador, Robert Ford, was also attacked by a mob.

39) On September 13, 2011, Taliban attacked the US embassy and the NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters at Kabul with small arms and RPGs.

40) On October 28, 2011, a man armed with an automatic weapon fired shots at the US embassy at Sarajevo, hitting a police officer before authorities shot and wounded him.

41) On April 5, 2012, eight people lost lives when the US Consulate at Peshawar was attacked.

42) On September 11, 2012, a group of violent extremists attacked the consulate in Libya killing the US Ambassador and three staff members.

43) On September 11, 2012, the US embassy at Cairo was also attacked.

44) On September 11, 2012, the US embassy at Sana’a too came under an aggressive assault.


Now tell me how again this is something the Obama Administration is only at fault for and he and/or Hilary needs to resign for this?

US embassy attacks, resulting in many more than 4 deaths have been happening since the Eisenhower administration. Please continue to explain to me why the 4 deaths in Libya are more important than any of the attacks that have happened in the last 54 years?

I don't recall anyone saying that this was an isolated type event or that this was the only administration under which attacks occurred. If such past attacks were caused by mistakes that wouldn't excuse present mistakes. I'd hope we would learn from past mistakes, not make worse ones. Wouldn't that extensive list be a strong argument of taking security very seriously, of having Marines and a large enough security force ? Wouldn't that also be a good reason to have an effective military emergency quick response plan for such attacks?

I expect much better than what occurred regardless of who's in office.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail