Merry Christmas LGP

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Merry Christmas LGP

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:23 pm

This is probably the worst part of the year for me. I get a little depressed when the days start to get shorter, but that quickly gets sidetracked by the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas (and to a lesser extent New Year's). January 2nd is probably my least favorite day of the year, and it really isn't even close.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Yikes....best wishes Geezer.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby malkinshair on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Merry day after Christmas, everyone!!!

It was a hectic Christmas vacation, but...

my favorite gift...

Spoiler:

a close second...woof.

Spoiler:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:03 pm

That is one awesome watch.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I've stumbled on what I hope is a local aberration. Parents, please help me out, if you can:

I've heard three independent stories of middle school to high school kids believing in Santa Claus, and it is perpetuated by their parents. We're not talking nut jobs that belong in a group home, but professionals and pillars of our community (seriously, a principal of the elementary school). The motto one parent says is "You must believe to receive." Several other parents in earshot agreed with this sentiment. My wife and I looked at each other like :shock: It was very odd...but I live in a small town in rural South Carolina that still has blue laws, shuts down on Wednesday nights for (Baptist) church, and so on.

For the record, my six and four year old are completely on board with Santa, but the oldest is beginning to ask questions such as how his uncle knew to get him earbuds for the iPod Santa brought the next day...

Any idea what's going on here?

And Merry Christmas, and Happy Boxing Day!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 pm

I found out that Santa wasn't real by finding a receipt in my Mom's purse at around the age of 10...

I think you have to have the talk at a reasonable age.....I think 10 or 11 is perfectly reasonable. Trying your damnedest to perpetuate the myth when your child is 12, 13, 14 is cruel, in my opinion.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Kids talk....I mean I think I remember Santa not being real by 3rd grade.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:43 pm

I have 3 older brothers, so they did their best to stretch it out the myth as long as possible.
So I was 9 or 10?

I don't remember it being the end of the world or anything.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Yeah, I think by the time you are that age (9 to 11) it's not a huge deal when you find out he isn't real. And honestly, most kids at that age subconsciously or consciously start to realize it isn't real anyway. I'm 29 and I still enjoy watching movies about Santa Claus, so meh
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I hate when people feel the need to kill things for kids. Imagination and wonderment is something once taken from a child they never get that part of there life back. Everybody is in such a rush to grow up.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I remember asking my mom why the gifts from Santa were all tagged in her handwriting. She replied that 'Santa is so busy on Christmas eve that he can't label the gifts himself, but leaves the parents a list of which gifts belong to whom.' So she helped Santa out by filling out the tags.

I promptly asked to see the list.

At least that's how I remember it. :wink:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I hate when people feel the need to kill things for kids. Imagination and wonderment is something once taken from a child they never get that part of there life back. Everybody is in such a rush to grow up.

A woman I worked with told her daughter that Santa was a lie...and to tell all her friends...in kindergarten. She wanted her daughter to be the 'spreader of truth'. :face:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:15 pm

I found out when I was 9 or 10. Parents had presents stacked in their room Christmas Eve. Door to their room wasn't closed, so when I ran upstairs to go to the bathroom before we left to go visiting, I saw the big stack.

However, to this day (almost 30 years later), my mom still labels her gifts from Santa. I'm good with that. :)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I didn't believe in Santa at a young age. But I also did not impose my thoughts onto the other kids. I hate pushy parents and kids. Your kid sucks. You suck. Stfu.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 pm

JS© wrote:I found out when I was 9 or 10. Parents had presents stacked in their room Christmas Eve. Door to their room wasn't closed, so when I ran upstairs to go to the bathroom before we left to go visiting, I saw the big stack.

However, to this day (almost 30 years later), my mom still labels her gifts from Santa. I'm good with that. :)

My bedroom had a clear view of the tree and living room when I was a young lad. So I stole a look and saw mum and dad placing the presents under the tree. Oh well didn't ruin me. But I loved that room cause I got to "watch" a lot of Penguins games after bedtime :fist:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:24 pm

malkinshair wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I hate when people feel the need to kill things for kids. Imagination and wonderment is something once taken from a child they never get that part of there life back. Everybody is in such a rush to grow up.

A woman I worked with told her daughter that Santa was a lie...and to tell all her friends...in kindergarten. She wanted her daughter to be the 'spreader of truth'. :face:

Santa sits on a throne of lies and smells like beef and cheese.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:29 pm

My 11 year old had her first non-believing year this year. She just came out and asked. The 9 year old is still on board, but not sure it will last to next year.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't understand why anyone would ever want to ruin even a bit of mysticism for their kid. Seems like the archetype for a Christmas movie villain.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:21 am

Santa isn't real?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:00 am

malkinshair wrote:

The voice of the voiceless!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:20 am

Rylan wrote:I don't understand why anyone would ever want to ruin even a bit of mysticism for their kid. Seems like the archetype for a Christmas movie villain.

I completely and absolutely agree. That being said, when the kid starts to move towards middle school, I think it's cruel to aggressively perpetuate it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Santa isn't real?

Yes, he is, SDD. There are just a lot of ill-informed people on this board.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:08 am

Santa's has got some unfinished business in the NHL ... :D for those of us who believe. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:48 am

The first time I told my parents that I didn't believe in Santa I was in the 4th or 5th grade. My parents insisted that there was a Santa. I told them I wasn't buying it. Rather than take me aside, tell me the truth and ask me to now be one of the 'adults' that keep the myth alive for my younger brother, they kept insisting there was a Santa.

On Christmas day, I got up, so excited to see my new bicycle under the tree. No presents from Santa for me, but presents for my siblings.

My parents told me that was because Santa didn't deliver presents to 'non-believers'.

What seemed like an hour later (It was probably after about 5 minutes), my Dad took me downstairs and there was my bicycle.

Don't do that to your kids. When they figure it out, they figure it out. No sense making them feel even worse.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby eddysnake on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:08 am

cowboy boots, tmnt comics, hat from Ireland. santa was good to me, can't even describe how awesome it was seeing the kids just as excited as me for Christmas
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR