Holiday Days Off

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Holiday Days Off

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 am

Guys, some guy at work today was saying that it is federally mandated that a company provides either the day after or the day before New Years Day off...I argued that I had never heard of this and always worked Jan 2nd, sometimes not Dec 31st (half day). He argued that I was wrong...

What's everyone's schedule here for New Years? It's not like it's even a big deal, let's face it none of us do anything in the office between Christmas and New Years.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Holiday Days Off

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 am

He's wrong. I work day before and after
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 am

There is no such thing as federally-mandated holidays for private employers.

My company has given us Monday off as well, but my clients are open so I'll be working from home (with compensation from my employer).
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:31 am

pfim wrote:There is no such thing as federally-mandated holidays for private employers.

My company has given us Monday off as well, but my clients are open so I'll be working from home (with compensation from my employer).

Lol that's what I tried to tell him, but I figured as much anyways.

Most people do work from home as there is minimal reason to be in the office. Most people in B2B at my company took vacations this week since anyone they try to call is out of the office. Unfortunately that gave me time to install a new server :(
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 am

My firm follows either the Federal Reserve or NYSE schedule, depending on department.

Since I handle stock trades in foreign markets, someone from my group typically work Martin Luther King Jr Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving. Nobody comes in on Christmas or New Years Day.

The flip side is that when those countries have holidays but we don't, like Boxing Day this past Wednesday, there isn't much to do then.

When federal holidays fall on weekends (4th of July for example) we get the following Monday off.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 am

Yeah, not only do they not need to give the day before or after new years, they don't need to give new years.

I took last week off and a day this week for Xmas, but yeah, my office is dead. I could have worked from home but tough with 3 kids and their new toys.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 am

pfim wrote:Yeah, not only do they not need to give the day before or after new years, they don't need to give new years.

I took last week off and a day this week for Xmas, but yeah, my office is dead. I could have worked from home but tough with 3 kids and their new toys.

:lol: I believe it.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:39 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:My firm follows either the Federal Reserve or NYSE schedule, depending on department.

Since I handle stock trades in foreign markets, someone from my group typically work Martin Luther King Jr Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving. Nobody comes in on Christmas or New Years Day.

The flip side is that when those countries have holidays but we don't, like Boxing Day this past Wednesday, there isn't much to do then.

When federal holidays fall on weekends (4th of July for example) we get the following Monday off.

Does it circulate each holiday who is required to show up?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:40 am

Speaking of days off:

I'm setting up the days closed parameters (systems wise) for branches in the US, France and Hong Kong. The latter has lots of oddball (to us) days off and have to allow for the TZ differences.

What a pain in the butt.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 am

DocEmrick wrote:
Does it circulate each holiday who is required to show up?

Everyone kind of just takes turns. For the most part we're done when the foreign markets close late in the morning so its really not a big deal. If someone has plans to go away on one holiday weekend, they'll volunteer to do another.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 am

columbia wrote:Speaking of days off:

I'm setting up the days closed parameters (systems wise) for branches in the US, France and Hong Kong. The latter has lots of oddball (to us) days off and have to allow for the TZ differences.

What a pain in butt.

Upload a virus into the Master Control Program that gives everyone the entire year off. Then the revolution can begin...
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 am

I have the 1st off, not before or after. We have floating holidays and vacation days to use for those if we so desire. Me, I'd rather have June 2nd than January 2nd off.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 am

mac5155 wrote:I have the 1st off, not before or after. We have floating holidays and vacation days to use for those if we so desire. Me, I'd rather have June 2nd than January 2nd off.

We have the floating holiday, i.e Friday before July 4th if it's on a weekend off as well. That's pretty nice, and like you most of our employees just save up vacation days and use what they have left during the holidays (usually enough given the proximity of Christmas/New Years).

Funny story though, I had an old friend who worked at an ad agency. He had 10 days vacation, had only used 4 throughout the year with the intention of using the rest of them during the holidays to visit his girlfriend in New York. He has a series of letters between him and his boss who was complaining about him using the time that he earned during the holidays. He took it up with the HR lady and ended up winning the argument, but I thought it was interesting that the person who granted him the vacation days had the nerve to complain about him using them.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MelicharSux on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:00 am

Only off New Years day
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:33 am

I'm probably working a double on nye, and then coming back to work on new years day. blah
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:37 am

I work for a public company. New Years Day only. NYE will be dead like Xmas eve, but it is not a mandated holiday by any means, nor was the Friday after Thanksgiving (Black Friday).

We are actually required to be open all those days (our division is) because we can't force hourly employees not to work if they want to.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Froggy wrote:I'm probably working a double on nye, and then coming back to work extremely hungover on new years day. blah

FTFY
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Azkar wrote:
Froggy wrote:I'm probably working a double on nye, and then coming back to work extremely hungover on new years day. blah

FTFY

well, considering im probably working 8-midnight on new years eve, and then coming back at 8 the next morning, im not sure i'll have time for drinks.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Froggy wrote:
Azkar wrote:

FTFY

well, considering im probably working 8-midnight on new years eve, and then coming back at 8 the next morning, im not sure i'll have time for drinks.

You have 8 hours. Man up.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Been off since the 22nd....don't go back to work until 1.2
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
columbia wrote:Speaking of days off:

What a pain in butt.

Upload a virus into the Master Control Program that gives everyone the entire year off. Then the revolution can begin...

I like this answer very much.

Plus, there's the added bonus that it saves you from adding Bennington Battle Day for the Montpelier, VT, office.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:27 am

Well this is a pleasant turn of events... Thanks to a better than expected new hire and some major schedule tetris on my part, I am no longer working a double tonight, and I'm off tomorrow. Awesome.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 am

Froggy wrote:Well this is a pleasant turn of events... Thanks to a better than expected new hire and some major schedule tetris on my part, I am no longer working a double tonight, and I'm off tomorrow. Awesome.

"Schedule Tetris" is dyn-o-mite.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 am

I've been off since the 21st and don't go back til the 3rd. Will have 11 days off next year, too.

Company shut downs are pretty sweet.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 am

no one here todya but my director's admin. I am guessing 1:30 is the leave time.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR