Netflix and Other Streaming Services

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Netflix and Other Streaming Services

Postby columbia on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:amazon prime has really stepped up their game lately with streaming tv shows and movies

Better than Netflix?
Not that it would be difficult.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I got the Prime one month trial to get all my Christmas presents shipped to me for free. From looking around between the two I'd say an 80%+ overlap between what they offer.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 pm

thepiratebay.se
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 pm

The cost of xfinity is crazy now a days, the internet phone and cable bundle is 200 dollars, insane but we pay it. of sourse that adds in the DVR and other add-ins.
Last edited by no name on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 pm

columbia wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:amazon prime has really stepped up their game lately with streaming tv shows and movies

Better than Netflix?
Not that it would be difficult.

i cant speak to that since i no longer use netflix but i feel like the last month they have made a concerted effort to improve the selection. i use amazon prime for shipping so this is a nice added bonus
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I also don't think Comcast just gives out free boxes.

I don't think anyone is doing anything regarding that yet. The FCC just ruled a few months ago that cable providers can begin encrypting every channel they offer PROVIDED that they offer a free box to watch the formerly unencrypted channels - again, the same things you get over an antenna.

Cable companies biggest concern over theft is typically that whatever you are using to "steal" the cable could muddy up the signal in the rest of the neighborhood. Sure, they want to stop people from stealing their service and make them pay for it. But the more immediate problem is that whatever "black box" device you're using could be introducing ingress. That could mean that FM radio or emergency service frequencies could be leaking into their pipes via the black box. You can't really use a black box any more.

Their systems are surprisingly unsophisticated. They can only detect devices on "nodes" for the most part - they know what area one of their boxes is being used in but not what house/account. If you took your cable box to your neighbors house its likely the cable company couldnt pick up on it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:31 pm

also, most cable technology is one way - you can't call home. thats why tivo and windows media center users can't access the same on demand stuff that you can with their box.

a tv with a qam tuner is FCC approved to not introduce interference and it can't call home, so theres no way they could detect it.

reflectometers look for damaged cables.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:14 pm

So you're perfectly sure that even if you have paid just for the internet connection, you can get a splitter and stick another wire right in the TV and they won't know it?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Sarcastic wrote:So you're perfectly sure that even if you have paid just for the internet connection, you can get a splitter and stick another wire right in the TV and they won't know it?

I'm sure that I'd be more afraid of being prosecuted for downloading torrents than I would be for watching qam. But as I've said before, Comcast charges less money for internet AND basic cable than they do for internet only, so I think its a moot point.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Not sure that this is the right thread for this, but Viacom didn't re-sign their agreement with Netflix to carry their programming. This includes any Nick, MTV, etc. production like Dora the Explorer, Spongebob Squarepants, and so on.

Most of these are still on Amazon Prime, FWIW.

http://www.inquisitr.com/679042/viacom- ... r-viewers/
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 28, 2013 3:52 pm

This market is going to doom itself from imminent fragmentation.

Execs say "why let Netflix make money from this, lets launch our own Nickelodeon streaming service" or "lets launch our own Warner Movie library streaming service" or "lets launch our own Universal Television Productions streaming service"
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:03 pm

My DirecTV is up at the end of September. I want to cancel it. What are alternatives other than the obvious Netflix and Amazon prime, and how will I be able to watch hockey?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

If you're trying to watch sports live and maintain a high quality of viewing, then there is no suitable replacement unless you're going to a bar every night. If you do not invest much in the way of entertainment systems and don't care about that set-up, just find an HD stream.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Mac, that's the biggest issue I've had is watching any live hockey without satellite or cable. Most regular shows will stream somewhere, or you can buy them on iTunes etc., but not sports, obviously.

You can get GameCenter, but many of the Pens games are on national TV and won't be on GC. Also, the playoff games aren't available on GC (although NBC Sports will stream the games for cable customers).

There are many illicit ways of getting programs and sports, and I won't get into them here. However, one slightly less illegal way is to use a family member's cable or satellite ISP login to use the various apps and streaming channels like the NBC sports streaming, ESPN Live, HBO Go and so on.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:10 pm

mac5155 wrote:My DirecTV is up at the end of September. I want to cancel it. What are alternatives other than the obvious Netflix and Amazon prime, and how will I be able to watch hockey?

Those are it and you wont.

Game Center Live users lose about 35% of the Penguin games when they are on NBC Sports Network or when the NHL Network picks up something that is on Root.

Given that you live in the Pittsburgh media market, you wouldnt get any of their games anyway via GCL.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Would Root Sports be available if you had cable internet and split the cable off to a TV? Or is it scrambled?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Would Root Sports be available if you had cable internet and split the cable off to a TV? Or is it scrambled?

No - currently you get these channels:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

type in your zipcode and hit search. on the next page go to the drop box at the top and select your cable provider (or look at see what you can get over the air via antenna).

These are my channels on Comcast in the City of Pittsburgh

Code: Select all
cspan
wqex
wpcb
kdka
wpgh
wtae
wqed
wpmy
JWLTV
wpxi